Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Yet another roadblock.
Last Post 07 Jan 2014 06:32 AM by Old Guard2. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jesse24b

--
09 Nov 2013 08:33 AM

I had a bootcamp date, I had a duty station and solid idea of when I would go to A school, until now. Through a fire department physical its been brought to my attention that I have a heart condition known as Wolf-Parkinson-White. This is something that'll need a minor surgery to correct before i'll be reconsidered eligible to join. The surgery is called an ablation. This has been absoluetly earth shattering news. for the last year and a half i've been waiting for my oppurtunity to join. I had my whole life planned out, skills I was going to use in my career were going to be from the uscg, college will have been paid for by the uscg, experience would have came from the uscg. I also would have been part of (in my opinion) the best branch of the military protecting the environment and saving lives of others. I have fought through so much to get this far, vision waiver, color deficiency and all the other candidates who didnt have anything wrong with them. Traveling an hour and a half to see my recruiter whenever possible. I made it to the top once and hopefully two years from now I'll be able to reach the top again. I want to thank whoever helped me get this far and all those who answered my "silly" questions. Hopefully two years from now the life most of you are living will be the life I so much desire to live aswell. For now it'll stay a dream and a motivation. SEMPER PARATUS.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    09 Nov 2013 08:41 AM
    Jesse,
    That sucks, but at the same time a blessing. WPW is not something to play with and while it's hard news to take, be grateful it was detected. Once you get back on your feet, go after your dream, and don't give up. None of us can predict how it will all pan out, but all things happen for a reason.
    Keep the faith, and keep us posted, not just on your journey in joining the Coast Guard, but your health as well.
    S/P
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    09 Nov 2013 10:32 AM
    To piggy back, everything is going to be fine. The CG will be here when you are all good. Life always has road bumps. I don't know anything about the surgery but maybe while you are recovering you can take some classes, that way when you do enter you will be a little ahead on your life plan and focus the first 6 months on getting qualified.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    jesse24b

--
    11 Nov 2013 02:09 PM
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I'll be back to school working on my BS and making myself an even stronger candidate!
    jesse24b

--
    06 Jan 2014 07:41 PM
    I had my surgery today and the doctor can't fix the problem due to the location. The good news is that it doesn't react like others that have my condition would. She gave me caffeine will I was under anesthesia and tried to boost my adrenaline to try and get the extra pathway to go into SVT but it didn't. The bad news is since it's not fixed it'll stop me joining completely BUT she did say that her and other cardiologists from Umass would write to the coast guard explaining the findings and hopefully get me in. I'm honestly not sure if that would work but it's something to hope for. She is a top doctor at umass and a professor at the medical school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    06 Jan 2014 08:50 PM
    Jesse,

First, even though you didn't get the problem fixed, I'm glad you're hear to tell us the story. Honestly, I wouldn't count on a waiver. While your doctors know their business and are willing to write a letter (submit it anyway - you won't know if you don't), WPW is not something you want to have to deal with while on duty. Imagine being underway hundreds or thousands of miles out in a storm where flying isn't an option and you have an episode and can't get to advanced care to have the problem addressed.

It sucks, there is no question.

That being said, you have a plan, stick with it. Get your degree, find a way to serve if that's what you want to do. There might be other avenues; the fire service or law enforcement may be an option (no guarantees - physical requirements vary some from department to department), and as I have told others, there is always the Auxiliary.

However this plays out, hold your head high. Things happen for a reason.

Keep the faith.

S/P
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    07 Jan 2014 06:18 AM
    I am sorry to hear that you won't be able to join the Coast Guard. If you still want to be involved with the Coast Guard, you might want to consider joining the Auxiliary. This way you would still be able to help the Coast Guard out (although it is volunteer service) and do something that you want to do.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jan 2014 06:32 AM
    What Scout said. I'm really sorry the surgery wasn't as successful as had hoped but glad that you are here to talk about it. Best of luck with everything.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement