Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Graduated last week, stationed on USCGC Sherman!
Last Post 04 Dec 2013 03:57 AM by MEXICOASTIE. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
zachw88

--
20 Nov 2013 08:23 AM
    Hello all! After about a 2 year nail-biter of a process I can finally say I am a Coastie! I graduated last week proudly with Yankee 188. The detailers seemed extremely accomdating to all but a few of us, and I don't think anyone got something extremely out of left field in terms of units. Myself along with about 08 of my shipmates from Yankee and X-Ray 188 will be headed to San Diego to serve on the USCGC Sherman. I know it's an older ship, and my sponsor has said prepare for a lot of hard work. But hey, that's what I signed up for. Now even though I was billeted as an SN, apparently when I show up I will now be working with the A-Gang and all MK's. I was wondering if anyone could provide me some more information about what this entails? My sponsor has briefly told me about it, but I figured with all the wealth of knowledge here I could get some good descriptions. Thanks everyone!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    20 Nov 2013 08:29 AM
    This article actually had some cool information about "a-gang" type work.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/...el-jordan/
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Nov 2013 09:25 AM
    You're going to be a FN when you get there and work on the auxiliary support systems for the ship. You'll be helping the MKs with hydraulics, A/C&R, steering, working on the evaporator or reverse osmosis system depending on which you have. And, all the equipment outside of the engine room. You're in for some crazy hard work and long days. You're going to be breaking in with 8 shipmates so take advantage of one another. You can all do drawings together and study for your quals. Each person can take a section, learn it and then teach everyone else.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Nov 2013 10:15 AM
    I had a couple buddies hat were fireman there. Just have fun and work hard. The number one thing that is frustrating about recruits is that they lose their military bearing for some reason once theyre not in bootcamp anymore. Take it seriously, if you hear people on a nickname or first name basis, thats not for you, you need to still address everyone MK3, MK2, ect. Use your chain of command. So only really talk to your thirds. And if they tell you to do something, which is constantly, respond with an aye or a roger. If you do this other people will respect you and see that your taking your new job seriously.

You can mess around with other nonrates, but if you have strikers, call them appropriately snbm or fnmk because they've worked hard to get there and deserve the proper greeting.

Have fun though! You are going to go to a bunch of cool places, and if they decommission that boat you'll stay in that area.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    20 Nov 2013 09:50 PM
    CGC Sherman was my son's last assignment before A school; he was an SN who swapped deckie life for gauges and diesel in main prop. And he loved it. Busy all the time, hard dirty work.
    Listen to Bells: look sharp, be early, work hard on your quals. It will pay off. Remember someone is always watching, even if you don't think they are. If you are truly busting yourself, with a great attitude, it will be noticed. Boot camp isn't the end, it's just the beginning of the learning curve and the hard work. You're proving yourself now. Show them what you've got!
    MEXICOASTIE

--
    04 Dec 2013 03:57 AM
    I dont know if your already there but i guess ill chime in.Out of the three billets you could have gotten on a 378(Main Prop, A-Gang, and Deckie) you lucked out. Being in A-gang is the most relaxed shop on the boat. Being a Main Prop Fn would have been fun, but you would have been first one to muster and getting liberty two hours after everyone else. The cutter isnt going anywhere if they dont get the job done. Being a deckie you would have been painting and sanding the first two years of your career, so unless you want that you lucked out. Being on a 378 i hear the deck force SN complain about their tedious work on a daily basis(not saying the Fn dont complain) but they also work on big peices of machinery that is time consuming. Now on to A-Gang, best shop in terms of not having much to do(from my experience). Hardest thing youll do is drawings. So thats my two cents, get qualified as fast as you can, and try to keep a positive attitude. The worst thing on 378 is the morale. Everyone hates their job as a non-rate. Chose your rate you chose your fate and some people chose wrong. They will try to take it out on you, dont take it personal. Good Luck
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement