Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Coastie family headed for St. Pete
Last Post 01 Jan 2014 11:27 AM by dandy. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
evi1cheese

--
22 Nov 2013 09:49 AM
    Hello. It looks like my family just got orders for St. Petersburg. I was wondering if anyone has any experience living there, what we should expect, and any advice for the best neighborhoods to move to. Any bit of information would be greatly appreciated. I am very eager to start looking for a place to live and I'd hate to get stuck in a lease somewhere in a non-favorable neighborhood. Thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Nov 2013 09:56 AM
    Call your unit, your sponsor can give you the rundown. If you're looking to rent Zillow is a good place to start.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    fowlfeet

--
    22 Nov 2013 09:13 PM
    I can't speak for the unit, but I lived down there for several years. It's a neat city. If you like beaches, fishing, and all that jazz you've got a great location. There are some interesting restaurants and pubs that will do live music and there's artwalks and the like year-round. I lived across the bridge so I dont have much info on what neighborhoods would be best, but I'd steer clear from the main roads that lead to the beaches like Tyron Blvd, Central Ave, and Pinellas Parkway. They are maddeningly busy throughout the year.

Enjoy your time there!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    23 Nov 2013 11:23 AM
    I am stationed in Saint Petersburg. How big is your family and where or what cutter are the orders too?!? Depending on your family size, it is going to depend where you live as far as apartments and things like that.
    evi1cheese

--
    23 Nov 2013 08:18 PM
    Thanks for the info so far. Its just my wife and I with 2 dogs. I don't know the exact details of the orders. She's finishing up at Cape May.

mirm_aid

--
    23 Nov 2013 10:30 PM
    I live in st. pete now , and have my whole life. I leave for boot at the end of January any hopefully I'll get to move around a little more. As far as housing, I would steer clear from downtown saint Petersburg( which is anything south of 9th avenue) because it is getting a dangerous at night due to homeless people and drugs , not trying to scare you or anything but I just want to inform you. I got robbed & held up by a homeless meth head two years ago leaving my 5th avenue apartment and have since stayed far away from there now. The guy ended up being put behind bars for 13 years because of the whole incident but it def. is something I'll never forget. Nice apartments in st. pete are off of Gandy and north 4th street. I have lived in the Verrandah's in brighton bay and it was really nice , I think they offer military discounts too because there was a lot of Airforce members from Macdill around. If you have any questions about neighborhoods or anything let me know, I currently rent a house in Meadowlawn in st . pete and love the area.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    24 Nov 2013 07:15 AM
    Mirm-aid is right - I live in South Saint Pete on the South end of an island called Coquina Key. It is all waterfront condos and they are cheap in comparison to other places. It is less than 10 minutes from the Sector and in a great location, there are a lot of Coasties that live there.

As for apartments, I would look in the Gateway area - 4th St and Gandy Blvd. There are places called Vantage Point, Verandahs at Brighton Bay, (any apartments with Brighton Bay is good), Sienna Bay, Mandalay on the Fourth. As far as Downtown Saint Petersburg apartments like Urban Flats and the Sage are really nice too but you have the problem of parking and the night life activities of downtown which is kinda crazy at times. Anything in that area of 4th and Gandy is a really good spot, nice apartments and some offer military discounts. I have lived here for 7 yeaers, went into the CG and got re-stationed here active duty. What Unit is your wife going too?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    25 Nov 2013 08:15 AM
    A lot of what Mirm-aid said is true. I have quite a few friends down there and visit often. I LOVE that city and hope to get stationed there myself some day.

As far as where to live Im not terribly familiar with, other than stay away from downtown. But as far as things to do there's the Dali museum not too far from the station itself, and the night life I witnessed is like a warm clean NYC. Theres bars that serve right on the sidewalk through big bar-windows and the seafood is pretty decent too. Most places have specials Wed nights. The boardwalk was gorgeous and if you like to jog or go fishing you should have plenty of things to do.

Just lock up your stuff. I saw a LOT of homeless people. No violece when i was there, but all my friends warned me to keep the stuff in my car hidden.

Overall, its one of my top picks. I hope you enjoy it!
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    25 Nov 2013 08:17 AM
    PS: Theres a random company that drives around with car/truck loads of framed art doing door to door interior decorating. It may seem odd or even a scam but its NOT. They're afordable, helpful, and will usually give you decorating advice and hang it for you too.

I know, random plug for them, but they decorated two of my friends houses and it looks great.
    evi1cheese

--
    16 Dec 2013 10:02 PM
    Thanks for all the info. There wasn't room for a female, so new orders and we are heading to Clearwater.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    17 Dec 2013 04:33 AM
    Evilcheese lol what a name! I'm pretty sure J.B. Is your wife, if so check out the US Coast guard training center cape may facebook page, she's been a superstar on there since she got to boot! I told her she would be! Congrats on the orders!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    18 Dec 2013 06:37 AM
    Clearwater's awesome too. And more affordable. Just try and stay away from the trailer parks near 19 and 275. They're not 'bad' neighborhoods per se, but the ones I saw had some less than desireable areas around them. They looked like they flooded pretty bad too when it rained.

evi1cheese

--
    30 Dec 2013 07:26 AM
    If you are who I who I think you are... thank you for all your help and information. She completed boot as the honor graduate. Clearwater is amazing and we are excited with our new life in the Coast Guard.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    30 Dec 2013 08:48 PM
    Good luck to the both of you down there! I told Jason I was jealous she wasn't my recruit lol, I've learned to recognize the good ones! It was no surprise she walked out with the awards! I'm sure she will have a great career ahead of her, and thank you again for your service!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    01 Jan 2014 11:27 AM
    I assume the original orders were for Sta St Pete, because they are maxed out on females there. There isn't enough berthing.... so we been turning females away. Heading to Station Sand Key??? Great station!!!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement