Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Coastie Girlfriend Looking to Form A Support Group
Last Post 06 Dec 2013 08:08 AM by Shananagrams0818. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Shananagrams0818

--
04 Dec 2013 12:18 AM
    Hello All,

After over a year of waiting, my boyfriend finally shipped out to Cape May yesterday afternoon.  I couldn't be more proud of him, but of course I already miss him terribly.  I know these next 8 weeks are going to be very emotionally trying times, especially with the holidays coming up, so I'm looking for all of the support that I can get and I hope to be able to offer the same to anyone else that is going through the same.

Are there any other significant others/spouses out there that have had their loved one go to Cape May recently, or perhaps even today?  I think it would be great to form a supportive online group for each other to help all of us get through this together.

Most sincerely,

Shannon M. Turner
    Fairfax, VA

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2013 06:48 AM
    There are a multitude of Facebook groups, including one generally for the individual companies. You can always chat here and ask questions, we are a pretty supportive group. Keep in mind, it is just 8 weeks. The days will drag by but the weeks will fly. Your boyfriend will likely participate in Operation Fireside. So you will probably get phone calls from him on Christmas. That will be week 4, the following week he will get his orders that's another phone call. Then it is week 6, on base liberty, calls again. Week 7, off base liberty, calls. Then that Friday is graduation, January 24th. It will really go by pretty quickly.

Any questions, just go ahead and throw them out there. We have so many people with such a great variety of knowledge. You can always PM myself or a few of the other regulars if a question seems personal or something you might not want to broadcast. Again, always happy to help. Congratulations on your boyfriend shipping out. One piece of advice as far as letter writing, write every day if you like. Don't expect letter for letter to be returned, they don't have that sort of time. In your letters, sure tell him you love him and miss him, that's ok. But don't drag it out that you are miserable and crying every day... That really won't be helpful to either of you. Sometimes we mean well by sharing our days and emotions but it hurts to think you might be making the other person so miserable.

Hang in there, it will be just fine. If you need anything, let us know.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Shananagrams0818

--
    04 Dec 2013 11:27 AM
    Thank you so much for all the information. It warms my heart to see how friendly and supportive everyone in these forums are. I also found his group on Facebook as you suggested! They even had the address for mailing which was great! I didn't expect to be able to write him until I heard from him, but I got to send off a letter this morning

I'll be sure to post any other questions that I have in this forum. Thank you again for your informative support!

Most Sincerely,

Shannon
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    05 Dec 2013 07:30 AM
    Small tip about letters. In the first few weeks he'll have about 5 minutes before lights out and then some decent time during Sunday to read them. He'll probably only have time to WRITE letters on Sundays as well. (one kid in my company got reverted for trying to write letters in the bathroom after hours) So dont expect a flood of letters back. Also, sometimes short and sweet is best. Like a page or two.
    My Mother, God bless her, would write me 4-6 pages front and back letters nearly every day. Which was wonderful, but i had NO time to read them. She'd talk about family and goings on and how proud of me she was, etc. But she would also go on and on about the birds in her bird feeder, how fat the squirrels in her yard were getting, and the most adorable old man she saw down at the park that day. While it was nice to hear some loving ramblings, by week three i wound up scanning the letters to save time "anyone sick? died? married? pregnant? in jail? graduating?" and write back accordingly.
    Long story short... keep the long stories short, but dont skimp on the pep talks. He'll be needing them.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Dec 2013 08:26 AM
    Excellent advice on the letters Laura. I know a couple of moms send letters with questions... Write the question, leave a space for an answer and the Coastie can just return moms letter with the answers. (Hows the food? What time do you get up/go to bed? Do you like your CC's? Do you get to swim every day?) Just different things you might want to know but they might not think to tell you. :-)
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Shananagrams0818

--
    06 Dec 2013 08:08 AM
    Thank you for the advice, Laura! As much as I want to write forever, I've been making sure that I keep my letter confined to one sheet of notebook paper. It's hard, but I know that he won't have time to read everything.

Old Guard, you're suggestion about leaving space for answers to questions is a great idea! I will definitely be using this once he has had time to settle into boot camp after his first week

Shannon
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement