Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AD Army to Active Duty or Reserve CG?
Last Post 15 Dec 2013 02:34 PM by JBraz. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FalconTI

--
13 Dec 2013 02:06 PM
    I was recently discharged from the US Army. Honorable and RE1 code. I got out as an E4. Ive been out for about 3 months  now and I am seeing the harsh reality and difference it is from being the military to being a civilian. I plan to go to school full time (I start this spring) using my Post 9/11 GI bill. I have a son and wife I need to take care of as well. I'd like to go Reserve with the USCG and maybe even full time pending the opportunity given to me.

The Coast Guard was my first choice when I decided I wanted to serve. I actually spoke to a recruiter and took the ASVAB with the USCG but could not afford the wait to ship out because of bills and my living situation. This was back in 2008-2009.

I recently decided I would see what the Navy had to offer since they are a bigger branch and a few more job opportunities. I was told AD wasn't taking any prior service and reserve accepted VERY few every couple of months and i would have to keep calling back every month to see the very select jobs available.

My question... Is the USCG taking prior service (other service) veterans? AD or Reserve more likely?

I know my job skills wont transfer over and I would have to be dropped down to E3 (Abrams Tank Mechanic). Hoping there are opportunities still because I would love to continue to serve my country full or even part time... Thanks for any responses!

Cheers.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Dec 2013 02:25 PM
    The Coast Guard does take prior service personnel. You may face the same issue that you faced in 08, there is a wait to get in under most circumstances. For Reserves there has to be a spot open and in a rating you want/qualify for. If you are looking for only one particular rating and it isn't available, prior service or dude on the corner, you aren't going to get it. If you haven't already, check out GoCoastGuard.com find a recruiter and give a call. The worst that can happen is they say no thank you. But the only wayyou'll know for sure is to give a call.

Thank you for the service you have already given. I'm glad you understand there aren't many Abrams Tanks in the CG. LOL You would be surprised some of the goofy questions we get around here... but it's what keeps it interesting. Thank your bride for us as well. Good luck in recruiting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    14 Dec 2013 07:46 PM
    Actually at the moment there is very little wait at all. I'm not sure how long that will last though. I love prior service here in NYC, I don't have to worry about character flaws!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    FalconTI

--
    14 Dec 2013 10:49 PM
    Thanks for the replies! I was actually on this forum back then (I think my handle was IORDANIDES619 or something like that) and it was very helpful in the process as it is now! Again, thank you.

I'll give a call to a recruiter on Monday. Hoping to hear something good. I'm very open to rates and actually rather take a few years to find out what I would want to do. I'm 27 but if I do decide to do this, it's going to be for a career so I ultimately want to make the right decision.

JBraz, I'd love to work with you with my recruiting process.... except I'm in San Diego 3000 miles away so it would be best if I stuck with the local recruiter. Lol.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    15 Dec 2013 02:34 PM
    Say hello to the Chief out there, he's good stuff and I'm envious of his tats lol!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement