Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard Pea Coat?
Last Post 07 Sep 2018 07:41 PM by CPORJM. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Lifeguard4Life

--
14 Dec 2013 10:24 AM
    I know the Coast Guard did away with issuing USN Pea Coats when they transitioned to their own uniforms, different from the Navy's.  I was reading about Coast Guard uniforms, and I found that there is a Coast Guard Reefer, which is no longer available for purchase, but can be worn if still in serviceable condition.

If, hypothetically, one were able to get one of these, are they for Senior NCOs and above, like the Bridge Coat, or could an E1-6 wear one while in uniform?
    I love the USN Pea Coat I have, which a friend got for me through the exchange, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a USCG approved version.

This is, of course, a question about uniforms after basic training. I'm sure you can wear what they tell you to wear and nothing else while in recruit training at TRACEN Cape May.

Eternal Father Lord of Hosts, watch oer' all those who guard our coasts. Protect them from the raging seas, and give them light and life and peace. Grant them from Thy Great Throne Above, The Shield and Shelter of Thy Love. O hear us when we cry to The, for those in peril on The Sea
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Dec 2013 11:19 AM
    My ex-husband has been active duty nearly 30 years, I dint think I've ever seen anyone wear that style of coat in the CG?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    14 Dec 2013 11:29 AM
    I've never seen the bridge or the reefer in my 15 yrs. We mostly wear ODU's now unless something is going on. I do like the looks of both costs though.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    15 Dec 2013 09:02 AM
    if you were to manage to get a hold of a reefer coat then you would be able to wear it as long as it were serviceable. they are nothing like a usn pea coat. I have two of them. wore it quite a bit with trops and winter dress while I was stationed in ak.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    16 Dec 2013 06:02 AM
    I just purchased a brand new CG Reefer via Ebay from a surplus place. I'll have to change the buttons to use it for Aux. However, it will be perfect for the occasional weather in this area when I shouldn't be wearing ODUs. And the kicker is the price was $35. They had at least one more, and I've seen others available prices $25-100.

No, I don't get a cut from the sales...
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Dec 2013 06:53 AM
    If you got a cut from the sales I would think you would have posted the link.... You can post the link.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Dec 2013 08:36 AM
    I have one in excellent condition. It's the sharpest looking coat we have.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    16 Dec 2013 09:30 AM
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/REEFER-Over...1e84836b8c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reefer-Over...4aa7e4e98a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mans-Overco...485d940a93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEA-NAVY-OV...3f2d959aa1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coast-Guard-Reefer-Overcoat-/141139171150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dc8cd74e (used a few times)

Per OG, here are some links. Some have multiples available. I used "coast guard pea" and "coast guard reefer" to find them. These all seem to be new except as noted, and have a Coast Guard label inside. I suppose it would pay to check back every so often to see if anything new comes up.

I don't know anything about these except Strand Surplus was very nice. I have not received the coat yet as it was only ordered last Friday.
    Lifeguard4Life

--
    16 Dec 2013 02:42 PM
    I don't want to jump the gun and purchase one before I even arrive at Cape May, but now I worry that they will all be bought up before I get a chance to get one!
    Eternal Father Lord of Hosts, watch oer' all those who guard our coasts. Protect them from the raging seas, and give them light and life and peace. Grant them from Thy Great Throne Above, The Shield and Shelter of Thy Love. O hear us when we cry to The, for those in peril on The Sea
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Dec 2013 04:22 AM
    ? Ive never seen anyone wear this, and I wouldn't buy it. You would never wear it on a ship and I really could only see office people rocking it since they randomly wear trops or bravos and not for a reason to need to match eachother for an event or something.

We used to have that sweater but I never see anyone wearing that. You walk out of bootcamp with enough uniform items. It is probably one of the most annoying things in the world keeping track of it all as it is.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    17 Dec 2013 06:39 AM
    I knew a few people who bought wooly-pullys/winter dress blues/ other random uniform items. They look cool but outside boot camp I've seen winter dress blues twice, and wooly pullys never (spent a good bit of time co-lo with a sector, maybe they're more common at district). Reefer coats? I have to google it every time I read about one. They look great, but the majority of us don't have cause to wear them.
    Now the cold weather cap on the other hand...best cold weather item ever
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    17 Dec 2013 09:01 AM
    Bells and Masterguns speak with the voice of reason. I'll need something for dress occasions a couple times a year. I'm in eastern D9, so snow and/or cold will be realities six months of the year. I'm a hundred plus miles from an AD station, and if I'm in a dress uniform I'll likely be the only one. And I'm too cheap to spring for a bridge coat. Don't buy one of these just because they're cheap. If like Bells says, you need to look like everyone else, it might not work for you.
    barry1

--
    15 Dec 2017 10:49 AM
    I was in the USCG from 72 to 76 and had a peacoat issued to me with a shield sewn on the right cuff. I have since replaced the peacoat with a navy issue. I was wondering where is the correct placement of the shield. Does anyone know (offhand) or know where I could find that info?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Dec 2017 10:23 PM
    I have spent a lot of time researching this question and can't find a picture of a USCG Peat Coat anywhere.  I think its safe to say that the shield would be the same spot as on the current uniform coat but I don't know the exact inches up.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Dec 2017 06:47 AM
    Pea coat, not peat coat. They are not issued any longer.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    18 Dec 2017 07:14 AM
    Right, OG. A peat coat would smell different anyway. Probably not shed water too well either.
    MastersMate

--
    21 Jan 2018 11:24 AM
    Wore the CG reefer with great regularity during the winter. The area was New England, and the time period was the 1980s. The CG reefer was originally for the cadets at the academy. Their version had a leather patch sewn above the left pocket to provide chafing gear when carrying their books.

By 1980 it was available as a private purchase optional uniform item for CG personnel. By the late 1980s it became a uniform issue item. It was eliminated in the 1990s.

Officers had shoulder loops to wear shoulder marks, enlisted wore no insignia. The cap insignia indicated the enlisted rate..

It was a good warm and stylish overcoat for wear with the SDB and other uniforms..

FWIW, there was a prototype new reefer used during Obamas first inaugual parade. The scuttlebutt held that the CG was going to evaluate it for re issue. The test died on the vine..
    yiyiyi123

--
    07 Sep 2018 07:32 PM
    if you were to manage to get a hold of a reefer wholesale coatthen you would be able to wear it as long as it were serviceable
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Sep 2018 07:41 PM
    Posted By yiyiyi123 on 07 Sep 2018 08:32 PM
    if you were to manage to get a hold of a reefer wholesale coatthen you would be able to wear it as long as it were serviceable

You sure about that?  The current uniform regs make no mention of a pea coat.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement