Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
National Guard to Coast Guard (Hopefully Gunners Mate)
Last Post 28 Dec 2013 11:07 PM by Gears. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ravenger

--
27 Dec 2013 04:13 PM
    Hi Gentlemen, (and Ladies!)

First and foremost let me say thank you for all the information that many of you have already provided on this website. I have been browsing every Prior Service and rate related topic I can find on this forum and any other random information I can find online. 

With that being said I'll give the standard background information about myself before I dive into my questions. I am currently 19 years old, and E-4, and have 2 years and 5 months of service with the NC National Guard as an Infantrymen (I am aware that this MOS does not carry over into a Coast Guard Rating). I carry a few standard certifications with the Army that I already know do not apply towards the Coast Guard either. I also have 30 s.h. of college through East Carolina Unv. I'm aware that I will have to obtain a conditional release from my NG unit which will not be a problem as I've already talked over some of my options with my commander.

So my general questions are listed below:

1. From the way that the CG website reads I would have to enlist as an E1 possibly? Does the CG offer any E3 enlistment options (for example a 6 year contract like the Army does)

2. Is the Open Rate List talked about on the CG website for CG Reserve only or for Active also? I'm aware that Active CG has critical rates and that FS is usually the only job offered on that list.

3. I know this last question's answer is subject to change at anytime, but how long is the average waiting period for Gunner's Mate? I looked at the list and it appeared to be a lot shorter of a list than some of the other A Schools.

Respectfully,

SPC Fitz
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    28 Dec 2013 02:03 PM
    Your prior service would bump you to E-3.
    The open rate list is for active duty, don't confuse it with the list of available reserve jobs.
    I think GM is running at about 18 months but I would need to look to verify.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    ravenger

--
    28 Dec 2013 06:50 PM
    Thank you for the much needed answers!

Time to re-ask a few questions that I've seen "somewhat" answered else where.. (Note: I've read the entire GM thread)

Is it true that almost all of the boarding and tactics teams are handled by the ME's now? I know that is the point of their job but are those jobs also still executed by other crew members? (Being that I'm currently Infantry and love it I would like to continue to use my skills, but waiting 3.5 years to become an E4 again does not sound appealing from a career development standpoint)

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Dec 2013 08:30 PM
    Posted By ravenger on 28 Dec 2013 06:50 PM
    Thank you for the much needed answers!

Time to re-ask a few questions that I've seen "somewhat" answered else where.. (Note: I've read the entire GM thread)

Is it true that almost all of the boarding and tactics teams are handled by the ME's now? I know that is the point of their job but are those jobs also still executed by other crew members? (Being that I'm currently Infantry and love it I would like to continue to use my skills, but waiting 3.5 years to become an E4 again does not sound appealing from a career development standpoint)

No. Boarding teams are made up of various rates.  There's not enough ME's to fill every boarding team in the CG.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Dec 2013 11:07 PM
    BMs and MKs do the most LE missions. MEs aren't attached to every operational unit, they're subject matter experts and train BO/BTMs.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement