Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Why? Why Not?
Last Post 11 Jul 2014 12:43 PM by Eden. 39 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Eden

--
15 Jan 2014 07:44 AM
    I have always wondered why Firefighters choose there job, why coastguard choose there job, why soldiers in the army choose there job? out of every job on earth, why did you choose to take this path? then again I am going to become a firefighter and I dont even know why I want to. I guess there is something there that draws my attention. so do you know why you choose yours?
    F-E-A-R: Has two meanings: 1. Forget Everything and Run. Or. 2. Face Everything and Rise. The Choice is Yours!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    15 Jan 2014 01:12 PM
    It choose me...I never thought about being a firefighter, never called the fire department for help or any fires growing up, never saw them in action...I was in a career path that I was promoting through and very good at but later discovered it was a fast dying industry...life and circumstances happened the wife said hey why not become a firefighter...so I studied and studied and studied some more, worked out and ran daily, signed up for every test being given in the area, failed a few, did not score well on some others, then took two that were exactly what I had been studying and bingo I fell right into it. Did not know what to expect, was not sure about the ems side of the equation, joined a volunteer fd got a little better understanding while completing the very long hiring process and I never looked back. It was a true blessing I became a firefighter, the things that lead me in that direction just seemed to happen and really supports the saying "everything happens for a reason". It took about a year and a half of total commitment but I ended up with the greatest job in the world and highly recommend to any and all.

My path in the fire service lead me to training fire recruits and running the fire academy for 12 years of my career which was absolutely the best. Helping develop and mentor young firefighters into professionals and leaders was extremely rewarding.

In the hiring process and conducting interviews, many if not all ex-military personnel that we hired stated it was the team environment and comeradaiere that led them to the fire service. That they missed that in the military. The fire service has a lot of routine in it on the daily activities and taking care of business, but every call is different and exciting...not to mention you get to go racing (safely and sanely, never recklessly) down the city streets with lights flashing and the sirens howling with the air horn blasting and everyone looking to you to save the day...AWESOME.

Looking back over my 25 years, the draw I see to the fire service, which is similar to the military in many aspects, is the helping people concept. Too help others on their worst day and to help bring normalcy back to their lives is rewarding, the brotherhood and/or sisterhood that strongly developed in your rookie class during the academy or boot camp is life long for some, then the second family that you become apart of at the station crew level, we all take care of each other and when in need we are ther to help. That is what it is all about. A purpose and a meaning to life.

Be safe.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Eden

--
    15 Jan 2014 04:42 PM
    Great to hear sounds like everything just kind of took its place. I agree that you have the best job ever. And i'm hopeing to get into the fire service as well. Have fun, and look ahead
    F-E-A-R: Has two meanings: 1. Forget Everything and Run. Or. 2. Face Everything and Rise. The Choice is Yours!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Jan 2014 08:43 PM
    @Eden...sometimes it's just who you're wired to be. I can remember wanting to be a police officer since I was about 8 (I'm now 48). It's been my career for the past 25 years. My military career sort of paralleled that. Army Reserve, then CG Reserve. As my wife says, "it's not what you are, it's who you are."
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Jan 2014 08:49 PM
    +1 CPORJM.

I've always felt this "calling" to be the rock in the middle of someone else's storm. As an OS, I am exactly that. I am the calm voice, the rock. I am the reassurance in the chaos.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    15 Jan 2014 09:01 PM
    And as the IT I am the cable to the phone, the stern voice telling you to submit a ticket for assistance. I am the network savior. Hahaha
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Jan 2014 09:49 PM
    You are and we appreciate you!

Seriously, there's only a couple rates in the CG you want to have buddy in, IT is definitely one.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Eden

--
    15 Jan 2014 10:11 PM
    you are all so awesome! I actually have always asked people what they could see me doing for a career( these are people who don't know me that well) and they always say an EMT of Firefighter. I have always had dreams since I was about 5 years old and they are coming more and more often. they are dreams where I am a firefighter. I am not necessarily drawn to it but I feel like that is what I am meant to do. that might sound weird, I know, but I'm speaking the truth. I just feel like that is who I am. not sure if that makes sense. HAHA anyway, hope it gets the point across
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Jan 2014 10:26 PM
    Bahahahahahaha. Chief that was awesome.

Ive always known I'd be the one outside. In a boat, while its raining. And painting, also sometimes in the rain. My years since 4 of painting really set that ride into autopilot. I also am a little reckless. Which is why my kind breaks things. We don't think of consequences, we think of what we would like the end result would be.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2014 04:23 PM

I didn't join wanting to be an MK. All it took was one massive generator casualty in the middle of the night. I helped replace a starter, got the engine running again, and I was hooked. Best job in the CG. Behind every SAR case there's an MK keeping the boat running while a BM gets all the credit.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    16 Jan 2014 06:46 PM
    This is true. More MKs should become coxswains
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2014 07:00 PM
    If more BMs were MKs more MKs could become Coxswains. Speaking of which.. Are you Cox'n qualed yet?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    16 Jan 2014 09:15 PM
    Posted By JBraz on 15 Jan 2014 10:01 PM
    And as the IT I am the cable to the phone, the stern voice telling you to submit a ticket for assistance. I am the network savior. Hahaha

Obviously you had no trouble getting your Smartass PQS signed off, JBraz
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    17 Jan 2014 06:48 AM
    Day late and a dollar short, but I'll throw my .02 in anyway.
    I grew up around the fire service. My dad was a career firefighter and when I came home from the hospital, I went to the firehouse before I went home. The guys he worked with were my extended family. I tried law enforcement, wasn't my thing. No regrets, but I'm glad I chose another path. I started dispatching and joined the fire service as a part-timer (it never became a job). I enjoyed every aspect of being a firefighter (except maybe sub-zero Chicago nights, and the tragic things you deal with I could also pass on), it's a job that lets you feel good about what you are doing, because you're doing good. Same with dispatch. 20 years I've been in it and those 20 years have been very rewarding. Joining the Auxiliary seemed natural. It all ties together. I can't see myself doing anything else.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Eden

--
    17 Jan 2014 07:51 AM
    That's Great to hear I am really enjoying all of your stories. It's just inteesting to know how all of you got to the places your are now, so thank you for sharing them. I love hearing them. Well, I finally got my roughdraft of my novel turned in. I thought it suked but all the senior highschoolers who are reading it want me to write a series so i guess it wasnt too bad. But I still want to write like biographys of people to get there stories out, but I almost have the other half of the first novel, so i guess i did kinds write a series:p
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jan 2014 08:14 AM
    I married a Coastie. Worked for a while, we lived on Kodiak Island. Beggars can't be choosers as far as jobs there. So I did whatever was available. I washed cars for Avis car rental, in the winter, in Alaska! That would never be a chosen profession, it was an available job. I worked on a slime line gutting fish. Again, not a chosen profession. Then I worked in the Post Office contract unit on the base. Again, not a chosen profession but it sure was a fun job! I liked doing that, I knew everyone on base, I heard all the gossip. Like a bartender, no one paid attention to the girl selling stamps when they were talking about what neighbor was up to what. So that was a fun aspect. Then I got pregnant. Possibly not chosen but never regretted. I quit work and stayed at home to be a wife and mom. That was chosen, that I loved! Then I left my husband. Well, once again back in the do what you gotta do boat. I've been a legal secretary, a truck driver, I worked in the instrument repair division of a major biotech company, I was an independent contractor for a messenger service. Now I've been with my current company 10 years. I love what I do. But this isn't chosen either. If something better came along tomorrow, I would follow. I'm a gypsy at heart so wandering from place to place is my preferred profession. With this company, 10 years employed by the same place but lived in 3 states. That ties into my gypsy belief.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Jan 2014 08:59 AM
    Eden, not to be too nosy but what grade level are you at in high school? Hope you can share some of your novel with us when you get the final draft completed.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Jan 2014 10:22 AM
    Lol no not coxswain we are about to go through Stan. Shooting for march. Then BO school then OOD then small boat engineer
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2014 10:32 AM
    Good call, you don't want to be a new Cox'n during STAN. That's a nightmare. I don't envy you having to go to BO school, but Charleston is a really nice place. You should have a good time there.
    Eden

--
    17 Jan 2014 07:33 PM
    These are fantastic! And i would love to share my novel with you. oh which reminds me, I have some more questions about firefighting, if you dont mind I would hate to be a bother with my questions. I am a Freshman in high school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    13 Mar 2014 11:12 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 15 Jan 2014 09:49 PM
    +1 CPORJM.

I've always felt this "calling" to be the rock in the middle of someone else's storm. As an OS, I am exactly that. I am the calm voice, the rock. I am the reassurance in the chaos.

Wow FloridaGirl, sums up my reasons for enlisting

Me, I joined the fire service in 2012 with the goal of helping people in my community and making a difference, being proud of who I look at in the mirror. Wanted to make a career in the "Life Saving Service", spent a few summers in high school near USCG Station Chincoteague,  always enjoyed the ocean, traveling, and after a few years as a firefighter and soon to be EMT (graduate this weekend).  No one day is same as the last and every time I staff the engine or ambulance I get the chance to directly impact someone else's life, be the "rock in the middle of someone else's storm". 

Oh, and... Sure beats the heck out of my groundhog day type cubical job I have had for the past five years!!! my only wish is that I heard the calling sooner.

"People are always asking me how is it that firefighters run into a burning building when everyone else is running out. Courage is the answer." - Chief Kennedy, Ladder 49 (2004)

“A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    14 Mar 2014 08:47 AM
    Congrats on your EMT graduation Triman1991...

State or National Registry?

We have to learn and pass to the National Registry but then revert back to the state level due to CE requirements. We can do the extra CE to maintain the NR but it is not provided by the department. Only a handful of the medics kept the NR. 

Enjoy
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    14 Mar 2014 06:14 PM
    Thank you!I test state sunday and then I have to schedule national, Once I earn national I plan to pro-board Firefighter 1 and HazMat operations, hoping to get Firefighter 2 before I go to boot. The ambulance is a different beast than the engine, love them both. State certifications are handled by my county but I'm almost positive I need to cover my national and pro-board myself. 

State verses national gets a little frustrating with the difference between my protocols and the national standard. One example is giving Oral Glucose, my state is one of the only ones (if the only one) that allows the EMT to give oral glucose to an unconscious patient, other than that its small things like the number of breaths per minute for using a BVM to assist with breaths.  
    “A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    14 Mar 2014 08:43 PM
    Yes the difference between national, state and even city department protocols can be frustrating, many, many, many years ago I got to spend 6 months learning the fire departments medical control protocols and what they wanted me to know as a paramedic, then a month riding as a student on an ambulance practicing those skills and knowledge...then told to read the book and learn what the state wanted me to know...so many differences it was quite the challenge to pass the state test.

Good luck on the test...when confronted with what seems like multiple right answers, I have had many tests where all 4 answers were in my opinion correct, revert to your ABC's and pick the answer that falls first in that order...and mostly try your best not to over think the question. Trust your training and you will do great.
    Eden

--
    09 Jul 2014 01:09 AM
    These are great stories! Oh Okay so I am sure I have already asked this before but can you be a Firefighter in the CG? I absolutely love the coastguard but want to be a firefighter. and I'm not talking about the ones that go on the boats. I am thinking like firefighters who work in an urban type area. they respond to emergency's and building fires, crashes, etc.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    09 Jul 2014 05:04 AM
    Ever since I saw Clear and Present Danger, I wanted to join the Coast Guard. Sounds lame...but that's how it started for me. I lost sight of the dream sometime in my senior year in high school and followed a calling into 911 dispatch, and later into law enforcement. Sometime during my time at 911 I completely gave up on the CG idea. I had a bunch of posters and other stuff from my childhood, and I gave them to a retired BMCS that I worked with. I couldn't wake up every day looking at what I felt was a failure.

Anyway...at my current LE job, I work with an MP in the National Guard. We were discussing education and my desire to pursue a higher education, and how to pay for it. He mentioned the Guard. I didn't really want to do the National Guard thing. The guys at my department that do it love serving, but didn't much like their assignment. He mentioned to me that the Coast Guard might have a reserve side that I could check out. So I checked it out...so to shorten my long story, here I am, 1 year in. I get to achieve a childhood dream, I get to pack my resumee, and I get to serve my country, which I have always wanted to do but didn't know how I could.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2014 05:37 AM
    I am thinking like firefighters who work in an urban type area. they respond to emergency's and building fires, crashes, etc.

No, that's not our thing.

Ever since I saw Clear and Present Danger, I wanted to join the Coast Guard.

Same here. Cosmic.
    Eden

--
    09 Jul 2014 09:37 AM
    Ok so what is the firefighting like for the Coastguard?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Jul 2014 11:33 AM
    Shipboard firefighting...stepping into the depths of hell to try and contain a below deck fire within a steel container...I do not envy them and would gladly combat a large structure fire to a shipboard fire.

Everyone on board is responsible to some degree of firefighting, you have to be, you are all there is. But from what I understand the DC rate also lead that role.

http://www.coastguardchannel.com/24...School.php

Too my understanding there are a small handful of CG firefighters for some of the lager bases but those positions are normally filled by seasoned personel.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Jul 2014 01:09 PM
    Shipboard firefighting...stepping into the depths of hell to try and contain a below deck fire within a steel container..

All this ^ with a chance of drowning. I've been very fortunate. I've never had a fire on any of my cutters. I don't plan to start with my current cutter.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement