Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Typical day as an ME/chance of getting MSRT or TACLET
Last Post 18 Mar 2016 01:30 AM by Bells. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CoastiePatriot

--
16 Jan 2014 02:13 PM
    Judging by research I've done, I feel that I would really enjoy the ME rate, and would work hard at the chance to get to take part in a MSRT or TACLET team. Here's the questions: 
    Am I falling for the typical "recruitment" info out there, as far as ME goes, with believing its common to stop drug boats, traffickers, and even the chance at stopping pirates? 
    Deep in my core I feel that I won't be fully satisfied if I'm not putting myself out there to stop the major bad guys.

I read that the special units like MSRT are just a 4 year thing and you're done, is this true? Would you not be able to stay if that's what you were wanting? do MSRT/TACLET teams handle most of the generally more risky things more often,  leaving regular MEs less likely to experience these things? 

Thanks for any help you can give, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I make any sort of big decisions. 
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2014 04:18 PM
    I read that the special units like MSRT are just a 4 year thing and you're done, is this true?

That's true. Each tour is 2, 3, or 4 years depending on the unit. When you're tour complete you submit a dreamsheet and wait for orders.

It's more common for Patrol Boats and Cutters to stop drug boats, traffickers, and even pirates because they are out at sea where those awful, awful people are. The MSRT and TACLETs do lots of security missions. I worked with one once. They came to our Station, trained, drove their boats around a bit, and eventually went home. Being an ME isn't the end all. be all of LE. BMs and MKs do more LE than anyone.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    CoastiePatriot

--
    16 Jan 2014 04:45 PM
    Thank you very much for the information, Gears. I appreciate it.
    CoastiePatriot

--
    16 Jan 2014 07:21 PM
    Additional question for anyone who can answer it:
    If you get into MRST, can you re-request it again when the 4 years are over? If you can, do previous MSRT members get put above other candidates?
    Thanks again.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Jan 2014 08:39 PM
    I've never known it to happen. Besides, why would you want to limit your CG experiences to MSRT?
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jan 2014 08:26 AM
    You could go from MSST/MSRT in one state then transfer to another, but CPORJM is right. There's more to the CG than MSRTs and MEs. If you manage to make it to the fleet you'll have a better idea of what you want to do.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    RDCcanty

--
    27 Jan 2014 08:28 PM
    If I am a regular ME what would I be doing on a cutter? (On a daily basis)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uttexican

--
    31 Jan 2014 12:58 PM
    I've never been stationed on a cutter, so I'm going off of what my ME A-school roommate said since he was coming from one. Lots of training, BTM with the BM's and MK's, equipment maintenance, some GM stuff. I feel it's a touchy subject because a lot of rates don't like ME's. Just about any rate can become BTM/BO qualified, so a lot of people balk at the idea that an ME is supposed to be the person of expertise in this area. It's a fairly new rate and the roles are still being defined in some cases, so my experience has been that a lot of BM's and MK's think we're a useless rate. It's disappointing to see any kind of resentment or division like that, but I know it's something I've had to smile and nod at before.
    ENS Chris LaRocque "Happiness is a choice."
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Jan 2014 01:24 PM
    The animosity isn't arbitrary. As I understood it, the ME rating was supposed to take over the majority of the LE mission. When the call went out askiing who wanted to change rates lots of BMs and MKs applied (who love doing LE) under the impression they would be handling the majority of LE missions. The reality is BMs and MKs are still doing the majority of LE (we're the biggest ratings and make up the majority of units). Are MEs useless? Not necessarily. I'd like to see thier roll expanded, perhaps take over some GM billets.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    31 Jan 2014 10:06 PM
    Come to my station and be the all-time BO so I don't have to.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Feb 2014 12:49 PM
    @Gears, I was a PS in my former CG life and it wasn't uncommon to have a PS fill a GM billet. I did it for a few years while assigned to PSU 311, so there's no reason why a ME couldn't do it, since that rate essentially replaced the PS rate.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Ddog

--
    03 Feb 2014 05:20 AM
    Posted By uttexican on 31 Jan 2014 01:58 PM
    I've never been stationed on a cutter, so I'm going off of what my ME A-school roommate said since he was coming from one. Lots of training, BTM with the BM's and MK's, equipment maintenance, some GM stuff. I feel it's a touchy subject because a lot of rates don't like ME's. Just about any rate can become BTM/BO qualified, so a lot of people balk at the idea that an ME is supposed to be the person of expertise in this area. It's a fairly new rate and the roles are still being defined in some cases, so my experience has been that a lot of BM's and MK's think we're a useless rate. It's disappointing to see any kind of resentment or division like that, but I know it's something I've had to smile and nod at before.
    LoL, yeah, try being a ME at a surf station  

phoenix1010

--
    07 Mar 2014 04:33 PM
    Actually let me set a few things straight on the MSSTs, TACLETs, and the MSRT. OBJECTIVELY; In regards of the MSRT, it is a 6 year tour now for all ME's. You may also request tour extensions upon completion and in good standings of your initial tour. And must successfully complete the intial training pipeline to remain at the unit (MEs only). Previous MSRT members "may" have higher priority based on a number of factors; (Qualifications centric to the DSF or the MSRT, previous ME experience, and needs of the service or DSF program). Now keep in mind, the MSRT is made up of a couple components. Despite the word "security" in the unit title MSRT. on a daily basis, they don't routinely go to stations, drive around in their boats and then go home, at least not the DAS. The traditional Anti-terror (defensive) security missions fall to the MSST's and PSU's (open source info). the MSRT is strictly Maritime Counter-Terror (Offensive).

I won't speak on the MSST's too much because I have never served at one. I'd rather let a MSST member explain that piece. However they in fact do a lot of security missions. That is what they were designed and created for, on a more robust/enhanced scale.
    In regards to TACLET's, their primary mission is counter drug. The Cutters cannot be every where all the time. Its big blue out there. Here's an analogy to understand a bit easier....The Cutters (in regards to LE) are like Patrol Officers on the streets. The TACLET's would be similar to SWAT officers out there patrolling and supplementing as well, independent of their Cutter counterparts. A little more training and a few more capabilities. But just as equally important. Most of the Open source info on the USCG DSF units are relatively accurate. Although no ME is better than another, there is an unofficial distinction however between the ME's. There are standard ME's which are in the majority, and there are Tactical Law Enforcement ME's which are at the various DSF units. They're the same rate just different job responsibilities.

So to answer one of your initial questions, the DSF units have been created, trained, and equipped to handle more of the High Risk missions and threat scenarios. But the Cutter's and HITRON Dets do get a lot of Drug Bust.

Subjectively, I've never been a "regular" ME on a cutter or Big Coast Guard, but (despite other's opinion) I personally entered the Coast Guard to be in the DSF community. So I would not be a good role model for the well rounded seeking ME. And I love every minute of it. The DSF and the ME's that serve in those billets are just as proud of their community as much as surf men are proud of theirs and BM are theirs..etc. I've heard mixed stories from my fellow ME's out there in the fleet/stations, So I, will take what I hear with a grain of salt and form my own opinion as I travel in my career, as I hope you do too. Look, asking someone's opinion about a CG topic is like asking someone about a movie they either liked it or didn't, heard it sucked or heard it was awesome! You're just gonna have to go and find out yourself. You may find out that they were all wrong, kind of wrong, out dated, or spot on. Just take it with a grain of salt and go find an actual Subject Matter Expert. (i.e. and Command Chief, Senior, or Master Chief of that unit(s). They should be able to educate what you need to know more than the recruiter. Unfortunately not many Coasties outside the DSF accurately know a whole lot about the MSSTs TACLETs or the MSRT. Good luck!
    JoClave

--
    17 Feb 2016 08:19 AM
    Hey I'm prior service army infantry and I'm looking into doing taclet and msrt. I leave to depot in may. Any pointers on how to eventually get to where I want to be?
    GreyGhost1

--
    17 Mar 2016 08:52 PM
    heyyyyy I'm prior service Army Infantry too. I'm trying to join up and go ME soon. Let me know how I t goes.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    18 Mar 2016 01:30 AM
    If you are going to do only reserve duty then I am not sure if you can go to a msst or taclet unit. I don't remember seeing them in their billet structure. The closest thing to it is a port security unit.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement