Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Ice Rescue C School
Last Post 27 Jan 2014 07:28 PM by Amorhetleven. 29 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Amorhetleven

--
17 Jan 2014 04:26 PM
    I just got orders to Ice Rescue C school for the end of the month. This is my first time going to any type of C School and I was wondering what I should bring along with me when I go. I know I have to bring my PPE and some uniforms, but I was wondering what I should expect when I get there. Should I bring stuff to do a PT test along with my PQS that I have printed out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Amorhetleven
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    17 Jan 2014 05:19 PM
    I never heard of that...what rating are you to go to that school?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2014 08:54 PM
    It's not a rate specific school. The Small Boat Stations on the Great Lakes go to.

Bring your PQS and civilian clothes for the evenings. I've done ice rescue training, it's pretty fun.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    17 Jan 2014 09:33 PM
    Your AOPS has gone he can help you out. IT1 B has gone too.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    17 Jan 2014 10:01 PM
    I am currently on leave because my husband is in town visiting. My MKC called me yesterday and told me that I would probably go and today I got the confirmation from him. Tuesday (although I am still on leave) I am going in to the boat to get my orders, travel card, PPE, and do my leak test.

How much is classroom time vs. ice time?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jan 2014 10:36 PM
    When I was at the Station we were spearheading the training. So, we did some training at the Station to go over how to wear PPE, the equipment, etc. Then we drove to the nearest lake and broke through the ice for training.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    17 Jan 2014 10:46 PM
    I was at STANT Burlington for a while as an Auxiliarist where they have ice rescue, so I have some idea of how it works, but I don't know how the school will be run.

I am looking forward to it a lot. My MKC has endorsed every request that I have submitted for additional quals and I love my shop.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Jan 2014 05:48 AM
    Don't worry about it too much. Most schools are 25% class 75% hands on. Sounds like you're at a pretty great unit.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    18 Jan 2014 09:55 AM
    That is good to know.

I am at the same unit that Bells was previously at but down in Main Prop.
    Lifeguard4Life

--
    18 Jan 2014 01:13 PM
    Bring Hand Warmers!!!!!!!

I've done ice rescue training as a lifeguard. We have lifeguards where I worked that volunteer as part of the first aid squad as after hours and year round rescuers.
    Ice training is really fun, you're going to have a good time. But, water inevitably gets into your gloves, even if you are wearing a dry suit, because the suit seals around your wrist and the gloves go on over the seal. Your hands will get wet and when the water gets that cold, you're going to want to warm them up fast!
    Eternal Father Lord of Hosts, watch oer' all those who guard our coasts. Protect them from the raging seas, and give them light and life and peace. Grant them from Thy Great Throne Above, The Shield and Shelter of Thy Love. O hear us when we cry to The, for those in peril on The Sea
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jan 2014 09:24 AM
    We used neoprene gloves at the Sta, I didn't experience any water intrusion. I could feel the cold through my MSD 900, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all.
    Lifeguard4Life

--
    21 Jan 2014 01:50 PM
    I could just be a wuss. I get cold quick and stay cold. Even with a top of the line 5mil wetsuit, i dont do much surfing in the winter like a lot of people around here. all i can say is my hands felt like they were cold for days after that ice training!
    Eternal Father Lord of Hosts, watch oer' all those who guard our coasts. Protect them from the raging seas, and give them light and life and peace. Grant them from Thy Great Throne Above, The Shield and Shelter of Thy Love. O hear us when we cry to The, for those in peril on The Sea
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    21 Jan 2014 05:48 PM
    We'll see how it goes. I am looking forward to it. Now I have my orders and gear I am good to go!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Jan 2014 06:17 PM
    There's a world of difference between a 5mil wetsuit and an MSD900. The MSD will keep you warm. I hated wearing it until I broke through ice and realized I could live for days wearing it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    21 Jan 2014 10:58 PM
    The hardest part of the MSD900 is getting your head through the hole while twisting your body into the suit.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Jan 2014 08:05 AM
    I was always worried I was gonna get stuck inside that thing. Trick is to get your hands through and free so you can use them. Then pull the top half over and push your head through.
    JMyjak

--
    24 Jan 2014 06:07 PM
    I am actually one of the instructors at the school. Bring all your Ice Rescue PPE including harness. Also the evenings you will be off for. The first two days are going to be classroom, we will teach you the basics in becoming a good trainer. Wend is going to be a practice day for your final presentations (conducted on thursday). Bring a bathing suit, for Wednesday practice we will be going to the pool. As far as being on the Ice, Monday and tuesday afternoon for about 2 hours, then on thursday for a couple hours as well for your final. Fri is an out brief and we will go over the new and updated changes to the program. If you can bring an Ice Rescue Course instructor guide, if you can't we will make due.

This course is all about learning to be a trainer so you can deliver the Ice Rescue course. We do expect proficiency in all the techniques, as that is what you will be training the rest of the students. Every student will be given a technique and will have to train the rest of the class in in. You will have to give a classroom presentation as well as a practical.

If you have any other questions, ill monitor this site, also you can e-mail me at duffy870@gmail.com
    JMyjak

--
    24 Jan 2014 07:42 PM
    Also the information that I posted last was for the train the trainer course in Saginaw, MI. I assumed you were talking about that course, but i do know other units next week are hosting an Ice Rescue Course (which is different). I if you don't respond, with you the best of luck and have fun.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    25 Jan 2014 09:33 AM
    I will not be doing the train the trainer course. I will not be going to Saginaw, MI as well. I am headed up to Saint Ignace, MI.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe one of these days I can attend the train the trainer course once I get my initial Ice Rescue qualification.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 09:36 AM
    I am headed up to Saint Ignace, MI.

I have a couple friends up there. If you like small towns welcome to your Utopia.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    25 Jan 2014 10:21 AM
    I haven't been that far up there in a while. I know a MK3 who is a really good friend up at STA Marquette, but that is kind of far. Do you know if the original Mackinaw museum is open this time of year?

I am looking forward to school, but not to the single digit highs and the negative lows for next week. Luckily I lived in Montreal, Canada where I have experienced real winter, but once you leave it is hard to go back.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 11:43 AM
    The Old Mack? Here's a link to the official website: http://www.themackinaw.org/

Here's a fun fact, I replaced the governor drive on #3? #4? MDE. We had to call the factory to get a new shaft. When I gave them the model of the engine they put me on speaker so everyone could have a good laugh. They hadn't made that model governor drive in 40 years. They had to machine us a new one.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    25 Jan 2014 11:58 AM
    Bummer, they won't open again until mid-May...

That must have been an entertaining phone call to say the least.

We have lots of fun in Main Prop especially when we have a casualty. I will miss my super hot AMR's and Gen Rooms this coming week when I am freezing in the water. My shop wants me to be duty main prop next summer so that will be lots of fun. My chief still can't believe that I don't want to be a MK.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 12:40 PM
    I'm MP on a 225' now. It's awesome. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. You don't want to be an MK? What else is there?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    25 Jan 2014 04:09 PM
    I don't know, but I have aspirations to be a secret squirrel.

I do love my MK's more than BM's. I have been gifted with the MK3 materials with the implication that I will be an honorary MK by the time I go to A School.

FYI, my favorite activity is rolling around in lube oil underneath the Mains.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 06:56 PM
    I have a friend who went secret squirrel. She's stationed somewhere.. I think.
    JMyjak

--
    25 Jan 2014 10:03 PM
    If its going to be your first time on the Ice, have fun because its a blast. Hopefully they will be able to supply you with an Ice Rescue course student guide, but if they don't sent me an e-mail and ill send you a copy electronically. With the Station holding this course instead of the us, its hard to say. I tied to send you the block plan via message, but it would not work. If you want it you can again e-mail me. Another option for the block plan and student guide; your current unit probably has a stack of the student guide laying around. I know the school chief sent about 10 to all the units in D9.

Tip- If haven't tried it before, put warm water in your neoprene gloves before going on the ice. Neoprene needs water to activate and keep your hands warm. It will make your gloves harder to put on, but it will keep your hands warmer for longer.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    26 Jan 2014 12:34 AM
    Posted By Gears on 25 Jan 2014 06:56 PM
    I have a friend who went secret squirrel. She's stationed somewhere.. I think.

Secret squirrels are the best
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    26 Jan 2014 12:40 AM
    Posted By JMyjak on 25 Jan 2014 10:03 PM
    If its going to be your first time on the Ice, have fun because its a blast. Hopefully they will be able to supply you with an Ice Rescue course student guide, but if they don't sent me an e-mail and ill send you a copy electronically. With the Station holding this course instead of the us, its hard to say. I tied to send you the block plan via message, but it would not work. If you want it you can again e-mail me. Another option for the block plan and student guide; your current unit probably has a stack of the student guide laying around. I know the school chief sent about 10 to all the units in D9.

Tip- If haven't tried it before, put warm water in your neoprene gloves before going on the ice. Neoprene needs water to activate and keep your hands warm. It will make your gloves harder to put on, but it will keep your hands warmer for longer.

I have been supplied a Ice Rescue course student guide. I would be interested in an electronic copy, I won't have access to global until next month. I will PM you my email address. Also, my unit is unique as we are not located in D9. I am coming from D13.

Thank you for the advice with the neoprene gloves. I will be sure to try it out when I go onto the ice Tuesday. I am looking forward to freezing next week. The guy that is going with me has never been in a major winter climate and it should be VERY entertaining.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    27 Jan 2014 07:28 PM
    Saint Ignace Weather at a Glance

Mackinac Island (KMCD)

Temperature
    -4 °F
    Feels Like -26 °F

Conclusion: It is warmer up in the arctic....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement