Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Future Coastie
Last Post 09 Jul 2014 11:03 PM by Eden. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PineClub

--
24 Jan 2014 02:52 PM
    My name is Anthony Del Real and I started my journey January 10th 2014. I went and completed Meps January 23rd and 24th, Dep in Febuary 3rd and received my ship date of April 8th. I am beyond excited and cant wait to start this new path in my life. Also just had a question so for the 4 months that you are stationed what do you do before you go to your A school?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jan 2014 03:36 PM
    Welcome, enjoy your journey!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    24 Jan 2014 04:03 PM
    You'll be at your unit longer than 4 months. You have to be there for 4 months before you can put your name on an A School list. Depending on the school you want to go to the wait can vary drastically. Expect to paint, clean, train, paint, do dishes, train, train, paint, clean, clean, clean, train.. get the idea?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jan 2014 11:36 PM
    Mess cook... clean, paint, needle gun... It is exciting.

Take advantage of any opportunity that is offered you. It could be 6 months to 3 years waiting for A School. You may have the chance to do things as a Petty Officer you will not get to do because of the rating you chose. What rating are you considering, any ideas?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    PineClub

--
    25 Jan 2014 10:23 AM
    I was really leaning towards going to BM school
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 10:45 AM
    You'll be doing A LOT of painting amongst other things. Mostly painting.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Jan 2014 11:53 AM
    The whole painting thing reminds me of a saying we had in US Army Basic Training....in 1986. "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, then paint it."
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    PineClub

--
    25 Jan 2014 01:05 PM
    So painting is the most thing you do until you get into A school?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 Jan 2014 01:52 PM
    It depends on the unit. You'll be training to stand watches and perform the missions of the unit you're at. But, your primary job will be upkeep of the unit.
    RDCcanty

--
    27 Jan 2014 11:38 AM
    Anybody know if ME A school is a lengthy wait?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Jan 2014 11:46 AM
    There is a link to the a school list on the faq thread. You can look there to see what the time frame looks like. Keep in mind that can and will change often. What it is right now, could be something totally different in 6 months.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    27 Jan 2014 11:47 AM
    ME a-school is one of the longest waits.

Google: a-school list coast guard
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Eden

--
    28 Jan 2014 07:55 PM
    Could anyone here give me an idea of what it's like to be and become a USCG Rescue swimmer? training? is there a height and weight limit you must exceed to be a rescue swimmer? I am trying to decide between Rescue swimmer or firefighter. I have Horses though so going to a long term school and staying there or traveling far may not be the best option for me. that is why I might stick with the firefighting but I just want to know about the rescue swimmers. Thanks
    F-E-A-R: Has two meanings: 1. Forget Everything and Run. Or. 2. Face Everything and Rise. The Choice is Yours!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    31 Jan 2014 03:40 PM
    What's it like being a swimmer? 
    It's a good life.
    What's it like to become one?
    Lots of nights where it hurt to lay down in my bed.
    Training? 
    it sucked.
    Height and weight requirement?
    If you're within limits and pass the flight physical you are good to go.
    Rescue swimmer or fire fighter?
    Both have a lot in common. What do you wanna do? Jump out of a helo into God knows what or run into a house that's on fire?

It's a amazing job, but its not for everyone.

Eden

--
    09 Jul 2014 01:12 AM
    well I tell you I am not comfortable in water deeper than 8ft, so the burning building seems like it would feel more comfortable to me. I am just an insecure person when I am in the water. So I really should be asking, "Can you be a firefighter in the CG"?
    F-E-A-R: Has two meanings: 1. Forget Everything and Run. Or. 2. Face Everything and Rise. The Choice is Yours!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Jul 2014 09:55 PM
    @Eden, yes you can. There are Coast Guard Fire Stations at TRACEN Petaluma, Coast Guard Yard, TRACEN Cape May, Elizabeth City, Kodiak, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Eden

--
    09 Jul 2014 11:03 PM
    OK thank you
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement