Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Wondering about time away from future husband...
Last Post 28 Jan 2014 02:41 PM by Old Guard2. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kscohen16

--
27 Jan 2014 10:30 PM
    My fiancé is thinking about enlisting in the Coast Guard some time within the next year, and I have a couple questions...thanks so much to anybody that can answer them for me 

-  Are families always moved together?  Are there any stations where the family cannot move?  When my dad was in the Coast Guard, he remembers being stationed at S. Caicos, and there were a few married men whose wives did not live with them.  I'm just wondering if this is still a common occurrence or if it was different when he was there.

-  My fiancé's friend from school told him that there are certain jobs where he could just be working 9-5 and never have to be away from home for long.  Is this actually true? If it makes any difference, he will be commissioning as an officer if he decides to join.  I don't know much about the Coast Guard, so I don't know if there are certain job opportunities like that available for officers that are not available to non-officers.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jan 2014 07:23 AM
    Families are typically moved together. There are units that work regular hours. They're open to both enlisted and officers. However, officers go afloat also. This is a sea going service, if having your husband home every night is important to you, then factor him being gone 6 months out of the year or more into your decision.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    kscohen16

--
    28 Jan 2014 09:30 AM
    On average, how long are they gone at one time? And what is contact like with them while they are gone? Do they have access to the internet or phones? I am already used to him being away for at least a few weeks at a time, so I don't think I would have much of an issue with him being away as long as we would have some contact. Right now, he is away for about 8-9 months out of the year because he's at a military institute.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    28 Jan 2014 09:40 AM
    The longest I've been away from homeport is 254 days. That's not normal though. Bigger ships do 3-6 month patrols smaller ships can go out for a few days to a few weeks. It just depends. One of the national security cutters I know is doing a patrol longer than 6 months. The Stratton.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jan 2014 10:28 AM
    The average would depend on the type of unit he got assigned to, and then there's really not an average. It all comes down to the mission. Some patrols get extended, some are cut short. It varies. Most cutters have e-mail access underway, but that may not always be the case. Life underway is incredibly busy with watches, the regular workday, and any special operations going on. So, you may or may not hear from him for days at a time.

If he's serious about applying for OCS he needs to start putting a package together now, and working with a recruiter to be sure he's eligible.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jan 2014 02:41 PM
    Email on ships is sketchy at times. My son was emailing his wife & I to tell us some information and he was getting no response. Suddenly one morning her & I both got a very nasty email from our boy... Why weren't we answering, he was so proud to pass along the info, maybe it wasn't the best but he was happy, this went onfor a lengthy paragraph. We both sent him an email immediately telling him we received about 5 emails all in a row and of course we were happy and proud of him... then he found out email had been down for about 48 hours. Boy did he apologize to us. LOL But email is a fairly common avenue of communication but it has it's glitches. Can't call in the Geek Squad when you are 200 miles off the coast of Argentina.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement