Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST Question
Last Post 10 Feb 2017 12:23 PM by Old Guard2. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
New_Guard10

--
31 Jan 2014 06:01 PM
    Question for the ASTs out there: what is a typical weekly schedule like for you guys/gals? How often do you stand duty? What are you doing when you stand duty? What are you doing when not on duty? How do you balance family life? Thanks in advance for the input!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    31 Jan 2014 06:56 PM

Every shop is going to be different. Monday and Wednesdays i can expect to be there till 3. Tuesday and Thursdays we are out of the door at 11 for pool PT. Fridays are called aloha Fridays... Get the idea? Days that we are not at the pool we PT at 10am, lunch around 11:30 back at around 12:30.

In our shop we stand about 2-5 duty days a month with 2-4 B2 a month. What's a B2? You are the back up swimmer and if the guy on duty bags out you are coming in to work.

What do I do when I'm on duty? Watch Duck Dynasty, work out, fly, study and probably watch another episode of DD.

When I'm not on duty and doing day work you can expect me to be going on training flights, maintaining all the life support and survival gear on the plane or sneaking a little DD. 

I'm lucky to be in a big shop. Some guys are standing duty 1:3 or deploying for weeks. I get to spend A LOT of time with my family. I've already said it once tonight, it's a great job but its not for everyone .
    New_Guard10

--
    31 Jan 2014 07:57 PM
    Awesome response Lance, thank you. If you don't mind me asking where are you stationed? Also, this might've been answered elsewhere, but if I want to go the AST rate, what is the transition like from your first unit to airman program to A school? Can I request to go to an air station out of boot?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    02 Feb 2014 09:04 AM
    I'm in Miami. You can request only districts now, down on the bottom you can say whatever but don't expect to get a Air Station. The Airman program is no more. What we have now is a 6 week "ramp up" at ATTC which makes A-school 24 weeks. It's safe to say that you'll be a non-rate for about a year before you get orders so you will have plenty of time to train right.
    llessuryort

--
    09 Feb 2017 11:48 AM
    Lance,

When you say non-rate, do you mean that from day one of boot camp until the end of A-School you'll be at the rank you sign on as?

From what I understand, Boot camp (8 weeks), first assignment (min 4 months), A-school (24 weeks). All this time adds up to one year (assuming no delays, etc.).
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    10 Feb 2017 09:07 AM
    Yes you are a non rate until you finish "A" school and become a rated Petty Officer. You will have boot camp for the 8 weeks, then the earliest you can put your name on an "A" school list is 2 months at your new unit. A lot of units want you to be fully qualified before they will let you put your name on a list. If you are going AST you will have to find time to get a flight physical and take the PT test before your name can go on the list as well. Its possible to get all of that done in 2 months but its a rush. Once your name is on the list, you will have whatever wait time is listed on the "A" school wait times list barring no setbacks. Right now the AST wait time is around 3 months I think. I'd recommend trying to get some time in the pool with a swimmer shop before you put your name on the list.
    My schedule is a little different than Lance's as we have 2 B-0 swimmers at one time and 2 different air facilities we support. We stand a lot more duty than Miami and I think we end up flying a lot more as well.
    The chances of going to an air station out of boot camp are really slim but still a possibility. We do not have many E-3's here. You can put in the notes on the bottom that you are planning on going AST and would like to be at an air station or close to one.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Feb 2017 12:23 PM
    It is a FOUR MONTH wait after boot camp, not 2. Pulled straight from the Admin Notes & Active Duty A School List
    https://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/A-SchoolList.pdf

“A” School requirements
    In addition to rating specific requirements, other requirements affecting eligibility are listed below.
    • PERFORMANCE CO/ OINC’s Recommendation for Advancement and Satisfactory Conduct. IAW
    COMDINST M1500.10C, If member enters a disciplinary status, the member’s command must notify
    Commander, Coast Guard Personnel Service Center, PSC (epm-2) immediately to have the member
    removed from the Class “A” School list. The member must have a minimum of six months good conduct
    before re-applying.
    • EPME AQE- ALCOAST 353/15-announced the suspension of the E4 EPME AQE to attend A - School. All
    class “A” school courses are slated in list order according to signature date. Applicants who have not passed
    the EPME Advancement Qualification Exam will not be passed over; however, E4 Enlisted Performance
    Requirements (AQE “sign-offs”) completion is REQUIRED. Commands shall verify compliance prior to
    execution of orders. If a member is in receipt of orders but has not completed, Commands must notify EPM-2
    school POC so that member’s orders can be cancelled. Enlisted Performance Qualification’s are also verified
    upon arrival to school
    • Four Month Wait- IAW ALCOAST 107/15, the 4-month requirement for non-rated members to attend FS
    and OS A-Schools is waived. All other ratings require completion of four months at first unit. Members are
    not required to be an E3 to be added to an “A” school list, however, E2’s rank below E3’s on the list. Once
    advanced, member will be placed amongst the other E3’s by the revised “signature date”: date of
    advancement.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement