Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Dive Program
Last Post 27 Feb 2014 01:32 AM by Bells. 37 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Gears

--
03 Feb 2014 10:30 AM
    For those who are interested:

R 311829Z JAN 14
    FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-7//
    TO ALCOAST
    BT
    UNCLAS //N01000//
    ALCOAST 037/14
    COMDTNOTE 1000
    SUBJ: IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW DIVER RATING AND DIVER CWO SPECIALTY
    1. I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT ON 15 AUG 2013, THE COMMANDANT
    APPROVED ESTABLISHMENT OF A DIVER ENLISTED RATING AND CORRESPONDING
    CWO SPECIALTY. THIS DECISION FOLLOWS A COMPREHENSIVE 17 MONTH
    ANALYSIS BY THE DIVER CAREER MANAGEMENT WORKING GROUP THAT CONSIDERED
    SAFETY CONCERNS, LONGSTANDING WORKFORCE MANAGEMENT CHALLENGES, AND A
    THOROUGH MISSION REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS CONDUCTED BY DCO-81. A WIDE
    RANGE OF COURSES OF ACTION WERE CONSIDERED. THESE ANALYSES
    DEFINITIVELY SUPPORT THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE DIVER RATING (DV) AND
    CWO SPECIALTY (DIV) IN ORDER TO:
    A. ENSURE DIVER SAFETY,
    B. INCREASE DIVER EXPERIENCE,
    C. IMPROVE DIVER TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY,
    D. IMPROVE RETURN ON INVESTMENT FOR DIVER TRAINING, AND
    E. ALLOW DIVERS TO CONTINUE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE
    DIVING OCCUPATION.
    2. THE COAST GUARD HAS CONSISTENTLY MAINTAINED A DIVING CAPABILITY
    SINCE THE 1940S, BEGINNING WITH THE FROGMEN WHO OPERATED UNDER THE
    OFFICE OF STRATEGIC SERVICES IN WWII. DIFFICULTIES IN MAINTAINING AN
    EXPERIENCED CADRE OF DIVING PERSONNEL HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED SINCE THE
    1970S AND THE 2006 USCGC HEALY DIVING FATALITIES BROUGHT TO LIGHT THE
    TRAGIC SAFETY IMPLICATIONS OF THOSE DIFFICULTIES. CREATION OF A
    DEDICATED DIVING CAREER PATH COMPLETES THE LAST MAJOR TASKING FROM
    THAT MISHAP FINAL DECISION LETTER AND IS VITAL TO MEETING OUR
    UNDERWATER MISSION NEEDS.
    3. MEMBERS OF THE DV RATING AND DIV SPECIALTY WILL HAVE THE
    OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE IN A BROAD RANGE OF MISSION SETS, CONTINUING TO
    SUPPORT A WIDE SPECTRUM OF COAST GUARD MISSIONS IN THE UNDERWATER
    DOMAIN. WE ANTICIPATE DIVERS TO CONTINUE JOINT TRAINING AND
    OPERATIONS WITH SISTER SERVICES AND AGENCIES AS REQUIRED. DVS AND
    DIVS WILL SERVE AT REGIONAL DIVE LOCKERS IN SAN DIEGO, CA,
    PORTSMOUTH, VA, OAHU, HI AND IN DIVER TRAINING/OVERSIGHT POSITIONS.
    4. CURRENTLY QUALIFIED MILITARY DIVERS WILL BE SOLICITED FOR LATERAL
    TO THE DIVER RATING AND CWO SPECIALTY IN THE NEAR FUTURE, WITH
    ANTICIPATED LATERALS BEGINNING IN AY15. E-4 THROUGH CWO4 DIVERS WILL
    BE CONSIDERED. I EXPECT THE RATING AND CWO SPECIALTY TO BE FULLY
    IMPLEMENTED BY AY18.
    5. ENLISTED PERSONNEL WILL ENTER THE DIVER RATING AT THE E-5 PAYGRADE
    SUBSEQUENT TO SUCCESSFUL GRADUATION FROM SECOND CLASS (2C) DIVE
    SCHOOL AT THE NAVAL DIVING AND SALVAGE TRAINING CENTER (NDSTC) IN
    PANAMA CITY, FL. E-4S AND E-5S WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR DIVER TRAINING.
    6. INITIALLY, DIVS WILL BE APPOINTED FROM DIVE QUALIFIED CWOS AND
    ENLISTED PERSONNEL. FOLLOWING INITIAL STANDUP, DIVS WILL BE APPOINTED
    EXCLUSIVELY FROM THE DV RATING. ENSIGNS AND LIEUTENANT JUNIOR GRADES
    WILL CONTINUE TO BE SOLICITED FOR DIVING OFFICER POSITIONS. THESE
    JUNIOR OFFICERS WILL CONTINUE TO FILL DIVING OFFICER BILLETS UNTIL
    THE DIV SPECIALTY IS FULLY IMPLEMENTED.
    7. MEMBERS NOT WISHING TO LATERAL TO DV OR DIV BUT CURRENTLY IN A
    BILLET THAT WILL BE REPROGRAMMED TO DV OR DIV WILL CONTINUE TO CARRY
    OUT CURRENTLY ASSIGNED DUTIES UNTIL THE INCUMBENT TRANSFERS OUT.
    8. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING TIMELINES AND CRITERIA FOR
    LATERAL APPLICATIONS AND CWO APPOINTMENTS WILL BE FORTHCOMING VIA
    ALCOAST AND PSC MESSAGES. YOUR MANY QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED VIA A
    FAQ PAGE ON THE COMDT (CG-7212) WEBSITE -
    https://cgportal2.uscg.mil/UNITS/CG7212/SITEPAGES/HOME.ASPX.
    9. FOR ANY QUESTIONS RELATED TO THIS MESSAGE, PLEASE CONTACT CDR MICK
    MULLIGAN AT 202-372-2685 OR MICHAEL.R.MULLIGAN(AT)USCG.MIL, LCDR
    TREVOR HARE AT 202-372-2031 OR TREVOR.M.HARE(AT)USCG.MIL, OR MKC TOM
    HILL AT 202-372-2047 OR THOMAS.R.HILL(AT)USCG.MIL.
    10. REAR ADMIRAL MARK BUTT, ASSISTANT COMMANDANT FOR CAPABILITY,
    SENDS.
    11. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.
    BT
    NNNN
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Feb 2014 11:08 AM
    Neat. I wonder if they'll make a school list or just lateral current divers
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Feb 2014 11:29 AM
    I guess it depends on the the amount of interest it generates and the size of the rating. What's the rating badge going to look like?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Feb 2014 11:30 AM
    An old divers helmet!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Feb 2014 11:33 AM
    That's the obvious answer. I'm hoping for something more creative.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Feb 2014 12:19 PM
    Oh... Now I'm sad.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Feb 2014 11:39 PM
    I would have done it out of boot for sure when I was still a wipper snapper. Now I'm too invested in BM life
    Redirected

--
    07 Feb 2014 08:36 PM
    As a non-rate about to go to A-School this summer for ET what are some steps I need to take if I want to start pursuing this opportunity? Is the training for this along the lines of AST training?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Feb 2014 09:20 PM
    Posted By Redirected on 07 Feb 2014 08:36 PM
    As a non-rate about to go to A-School this summer for ET what are some steps I need to take if I want to start pursuing this opportunity? Is the training for this along the lines of AST training?

It's a safe bet no one here is going to know that answer, since this is a new rating.  I'd worry about getting through your A-School, since they're only taking PO2's and PO3's.  The last part of the message indicates a link on CGWEB that might prove useful
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Redirected

--
    07 Feb 2014 09:32 PM
    Must have missed that link! My eyes were done with the CAPS lock long before the bottom of the message.
    Redirected

--
    07 Feb 2014 09:38 PM
    CAC is needed for the link, guess I'm waiting until Monday!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Feb 2014 01:47 AM
    It will probably work like the ME rating did. Those with the quals that wished to lateral over, applied. They build the initial rating force, then start an A school with a wait list. Members that are already rated that don't have quals won't be able to apply for lateral. They would have to request through their RFMC to change ratings, and then wait out the school list like everyone else.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    11 Feb 2014 06:42 AM
    Posted By Bells on 03 Feb 2014 11:08 AM
    Neat. I wonder if they'll make a school list or just lateral current divers

i'm sure the cg will copy the navy's nd rating badge.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    11 Feb 2014 09:52 AM
    Would've considered it out of boot too. This should help free up some space for the other rates too. If/when this gets a dedicated A-school i bet it will be a seriously long wait to get in.
    Heard some scuttlebutt that an RSS rate was being considered as well. Probably won't happen, but it would have one of the shortest A-school waits.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    11 Feb 2014 11:16 AM
    What's RSS?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    11 Feb 2014 08:21 PM
    I feel like the training for this program is going to be just as intense as AST, especially because right now it is at a Navy school. The Navys program is no joke. I am thinking down the line the CG is going to be developing an "a" school for it but has to get their ducks in a row and position everyone. I think they are doing laterals for 1st classes and chiefs right now. I believe I read that somewhere!!!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Feb 2014 08:26 PM
    INITIALLY, DIVS WILL BE APPOINTED FROM DIVE QUALIFIED CWOS AND ENLISTED PERSONNEL. FOLLOWING INITIAL STANDUP, DIVS WILL BE APPOINTED EXCLUSIVELY FROM THE DV RATING.

You probably read it there. I had a friend go through the dive program prescreen, he said it was pretty intense. A few people quit the first day.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Feb 2014 09:09 PM
    I've talked to some of the guys who were swimmers and went into the dive program. They said its about a week of intense pool training. The guys look like they are having fun and it seems to be a cool job.
    Bappto

--
    12 Feb 2014 11:20 AM
    Dandy, This reminds me of the Navy diving movie, Men of Honor, good movie. 

"The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero." 

If I get into the Coast Guard I would be tempted to pursue diving. But I love the feel of a pilot house too much haha! 
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Feb 2014 12:07 PM
    That is one of my all time favorite movies. When Cuba Gooding & Robert DeNiro round that hallway, in perfect step, in their Class A's, ready to go... My eyes fill with tears. Perfect moment, that they really captured well.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Feb 2014 07:12 AM
    Looks like the CG won't stop until every small collateral duty is a full-time rating. I would caution all the would-be divers about choosing this rating unless you are looking at being in the CG short-term, or retiring as a First Class, as advancement in a small but popular rating will be damn near impossible.

I wonder what's next? Property officer rating? Maybe we will break YN and SK into several ratings like the Navy does, until everyone is so specialized that we don't have well rounded members anymore.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Feb 2014 08:13 AM
    I want to see the MK and FS ratings merge. If you can fix a fuel injector, you can fix breakfast.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    14 Feb 2014 11:11 AM
    Yea that would be the day...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    14 Feb 2014 01:17 PM
    Posted By KD on 11 Feb 2014 11:16 AM
    What's RSS?

RSS is Rescue and Survival Systems.  Basically the RSS Petty Officer at a unit maintains all the units survival and rescue gear.  Everything from life rings to drysuits.  It's almost always a huge a job and requires a lot of knowledge not taught in A-school or in striker programs. Part BM, part SK, part EM, all suck.  It's a collateral duty at stations.
    It's such a big job with so much extra knowledge involved that there should at least be a C-school for it.  I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated rate but it would be pretty specialized.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    14 Feb 2014 01:22 PM
    Posted By Gears on 14 Feb 2014 08:13 AM
    I want to see the MK and FS ratings merge. If you can fix a fuel injector, you can fix breakfast.
    What I really want is a janitor rating.  Maybe the FS's who don't want to be MK's can be JS.  

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Feb 2014 02:46 PM
    Posted By MasterGuns2077 on 14 Feb 2014 01:22 PM
    Posted By Gears on 14 Feb 2014 08:13 AM
    What I really want is a janitor rating.  Maybe the FS's who don't want to be MK's can be JS.  

Someone thinks that's the BM rating... see other thread.  LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Feb 2014 06:41 PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't want an r&s rating. Everything is in the manuals and cards so I don't think it's that hard. I could see an aton rating though, like rigger/deck sup/crane operator. That would keep BMs from whining on how much they love doing aton and hate LE/long patrols and stations. Keep them focused on coxswain and underway ood. Aton would be a pretty small rating too but then you wouldnt have a CO writing the BM RFMC saying he got an entire crew of BMs with no aton experience.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Feb 2014 10:48 PM
    The downside of all ATON experience is BMs who can't get Cox'n qualed because small boat ops are the exception instead of the rule.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Feb 2014 01:57 PM
    Exactly
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    18 Feb 2014 04:28 PM
    Posted By Bells on 14 Feb 2014 06:41 PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't want an r&s rating. Everything is in the manuals and cards so I don't think it's that hard. I could see an aton rating though, like rigger/deck sup/crane operator. That would keep BMs from whining on how much they love doing aton and hate LE/long patrols and stations. Keep them focused on coxswain and underway ood. Aton would be a pretty small rating too but then you wouldnt have a CO writing the BM RFMC saying he got an entire crew of BMs with no aton experience.

Just today I was dealing with an issue where the MPC said one thing, the RSS manual said another, and the RFO Chief of course had his own opinion. ALMOST everything is in the manuals and cards and it doesn't always agree. I definitely think there should at least be a C-school.
    I know a lot of guys who would be happy to lateral if there was an ATON rating.  I also know a lot of guys would be happy if QM came back, or if there were Cutter/Station specialties within the the BM rating. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement