Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First Assignment - Portsmouth, Va - CGC Forward
Last Post 07 Mar 2014 12:48 PM by MrsBuckHijo. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CGW21513

--
07 Feb 2014 08:05 PM
    Hey there! My husband just called with his orders.. Looks like we're headed to Virginia! CGC Forward. 

Was just wondering if anyone had info on the base.. I can't seem to find much on the internet. 

The site says 2 months in, 2 months out.. But his mentors have him convinced he will NEVER be home. Any insight? 

Also looking for info on housing, family life, medical, what to expect; any advice would be GREAT!

Thanks so much in advanced! Graduation in 2 weeks, so excited! Lots of new adventures coming our way!

CGW21513

--
    07 Feb 2014 09:39 PM
    Well, I just found the .mil site and it is loaded with info. Don't know how I missed it before lol

Obv still open to more details and opinions if you have any! Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Feb 2014 10:18 PM
    I was on the Forward as a FN many moons ago. Lots has probably changed, but it's a tough assignment. The schedule is roughly 2 months in 2 months out. It'll feel like he's gone all the time with duty and being underway, but it's not terrible. Life will get better when he's qualified and he's got a patrol under his belt. When I was there gov't leased housing was available. If it's not don't live in Portsmouth, Hampton is really nice.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    CGW21513

--
    09 Feb 2014 11:35 PM
    Thank you Gears!

I will pass this along.. Hopefully it will help him prepare better. I am four months pregnant with our first child so he is/was bummed about being away so much.
    I guess we had just hoped for a station on his first orders. We got our #1 pick for location (not just district, exact state lol) so i'm trying to stay positive about the rest.

Another question: He called today for travel arrangements and I already had them set up so no biggie. In the conversation he also mentioned getting a travel advance but was very vague with the details. He said that it is money to get him to me (flight), then get us to our new base (driving). That's where I got confused. He is in NJ, home of record (and our belongings) in TN, I am temporarily in FL, and our new base is VA. Now..... When he explained this, he specifically said they are sending him to FL to meet with me and then paying gas to get us from FL to VA. It sounds odd to me - everything thing I have ever been told has been that travel will be based off either Cape May or our Home, this is neither. I am more than THRILLED that they would send him to where I actually am living.. I guess I'm just shocked.

Does this sound plausible? Or do you think there was a mis-communication somewhere along the way? Me being in FL with family while he is in basic was not put in any official CG forms. I would hate for the travel advance to end up being way more than they actually meant to give us (driving TN to VA cost way less than FL to VA) and I don't want to owe the difference later!

Side Note: We will be making a detour to TN so we can get all of our stuff, and I know that the extra gas and time is on our dime. Our vehicle weight ticket from FL to TN would be very little, but TN to VA it will be significantly higher. Do they allow the weight amounts to be changed while en route?

I know he will probably be taking a class on this at some point this week in basic, but i'm hoping for some clarity before his Liberty a week away lol. Thanks in advanced!

(Let me know if this should be posted in a different category).
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Feb 2014 07:14 AM
    It's awesome you got the state you wanted, try to stay positive about that. Plus, it's not forever.

Travel from Cape May as In understand it is from Cape May to the new unit. Being married means there's extra money involved for moving expenses. Since he's getting travel advances it's likely they're helping him make arrangements to fly to FL to get you then account for driving from TN via a DITY move. If you're picking up your household goods in TN you'll need your empty and full weight tickets in TN. If you have a chance to talk to him make sure he asks lots of questions. The staff at Cape May are experts.

Also, in VA, don't speed. Ever. Most cops across country will let you off with a warning. Not in VA.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    CGW21513

--
    10 Feb 2014 11:57 AM
    Okay. So they're only financially calculating travel TN to VA.. And were just assisting with the FL to TN travel plans. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you! Lol

Thanks for the tip! I've got a crystal clear driving record and would love to keep it that way lol!
    Mimibogan

--
    05 Mar 2014 08:02 AM
    My husband just received orders to the CGC Forward and I am so happy I found this post. This is my first time with my husband on a boat and I have heard so many stories about this boat and after reading some of these post I am more nervous then ever. We have 6 kids and no family in the area so I am unsure how live will be like with my DH underway.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Mar 2014 08:42 AM
    Welcome aboard! SIX KIDS! Wow! You obviously aren't a non-rates wife and have no experience with CG time. You'll be fine. It will be a different dynamic with his underway. Those 2 months he is out at sea you'll be mommy & daddy, best friend & worst enemy all rolled into one. But there will be other CG families in the same boat, literally. So make friends, get a nice support group together and most of all have fun!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    07 Mar 2014 12:48 PM
    We live here in Portsmouth in base housing. I can answer any specifics about the areas around here, stuff to do with kids, and about housing. We've been here for 3 years. DH is at CAMSLANT though so no help with the boat.
    You go Glen Coco.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement