Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Far away from recruiters office
Last Post 06 Mar 2014 11:27 AM by Bappto. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
Bappto

--
09 Feb 2014 07:44 PM
    Hello all!
    I currently have a job as a crew member aboard a boat soon to circumnavigate the South Pacific. I will return in a year, or at the most 1.5 years. When I return Ill be living with a friend until I hopefully get accepted into the Coast Guard. The problem I have is that the nearest recruiters office is about 6 hours away from where Ill be living. I have no problem driving the distance but I was wondering how many times I would likley need to make the drive? Will living so far away from the recruiter affect my chances getting in? Also, I was wondering if voyaging abroad this year will affect my security clearance and therefore my chances of joining. I was hoping that the experience that I will gain during this voyage may help me.

Thanks!

"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    10 Feb 2014 06:15 PM
    I was 6 hours away from my recruiting office and I only had to go 4 times: My initial interview, ASVAB and MEPS (two days), DEP, and shipping to boot camp. Depending on how everything goes you might have to see your recruiter more often as well as possibly MEPS. It depends on a lot of factors, but it can be done with minimal visits.
    Bappto

--
    11 Feb 2014 01:01 PM
    Thanks Amorhetleven! Thats good news, I was expecting a lot more travel time.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    20 Feb 2014 10:29 PM
    When I went through the recruiting process I lived 6 hours away and I only met my recruiter twice. When I went to meps and when I depped. They also flew me both times. I didn't even meet with my recruiter before i shipped I talked to her through email a week before then my parents just dropped me off at meps.
    Bappto

--
    20 Feb 2014 11:01 PM
    Judoka, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you go through the recruitment process? The reason I ask is that currently recruiters can be extremely selective. They may not want to go through the time for someone that they have only met in person once or twice when they have another recruit that can be there at a moments notice.
    Having never gone through the recruiting process myself this is pure speculation.

Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    21 Feb 2014 03:17 AM
    A year ago. I think each office works differently. I went through Seattle RO maybe it wasn't as selective as other offices. I don't know. I did almost did everything through email. There use to be a recruiting office two hours from me but they shut it down and the Seattle office now covers that area and they were more than willing to work with me. I offered to drive over but they wanted to fly me over. Just because you live 6hrs doesn't make you less competitive and nowadays almost everything can be done electronically.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Mar 2014 03:05 AM
    If the job is worth it to you, then the driving time is irrelevant. I've had applicants come from 8 hours away before, and make several trips.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Bappto

--
    02 Mar 2014 07:45 PM
    Thanks Cooch. I wasn't worried about the drive, I'm willing to drive much further, I was worried that I would be less appealing to a recruiter because of my distance from them.

I have a few new questions, I have heard that currently there is a shortage of non-rates, would it behoove me to not take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity of sailing the South Pacific for a year so that I hit the good recruitment time?
    If I did decided go, should I start talking to a recruiter now even though we are suppose to start the voyage in a month?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    02 Mar 2014 11:15 PM
    I have heard first hand that we are expected to fill the shortage this year. So if you want to get in a wouldn't wait.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Bappto

--
    04 Mar 2014 01:08 PM
    Ok, well I have a difficult decision to make then. This leads me to another question, currently I am living within walking distance of a recruiters office, but I will only be here for about 3 to 5 more weeks. After that, I'll be moving a couple states south and closer to another recruiter. Should I start by talking to the recruiter that I currently live close to? Or should I wait 3 to 5 weeks to contact the recruiter that I will be living closer too?

I really appreciate all of the members on this forum, it is one of the highlights of my day to read through all of the new posts.
    Bappto

--
    05 Mar 2014 01:40 PM
    I got my answer from the live chat at gocoastguard.com, that live chat is a great tool! I will start my recruitment process at the office that is currently close by.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    06 Mar 2014 10:58 AM
    You'd be saving your current area recruiter the headache of starting your applicantion only to transfer it later, though it could be done up to a certain point. You'll save everyone time and energy by waiting until your move is complete. Also, make sure your address on your ID is updated/current throughout the recruiting process.
    Bappto

--
    06 Mar 2014 11:27 AM
    Thanks storm, I talked to the recruiter on the phone and gave him a heads up that I will only be in the area for a few more weeks. He said that it would be no problem and that he will transfer the papers over to the other office.

My address is current for the new location. I'm actually moving back to the apartment that I lived in while attending to college. I moved up here for a few months to work for a family company refitting a passage making trawler.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement