Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
RDP for prior Service Navy FC2 to ET
Last Post 12 Mar 2014 10:38 AM by Sylis. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sylis

--
09 Mar 2014 01:00 PM
    I've gotten in contact with my local recruiter and mostly have my packet ready to go to be sent up to the Rating Force Master Chief of the Coast Guard.  None of the recruiters though have ever done one before.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with completing one of these and how long it takes to get an answer back and just how likely it is that I'll get in? (Kind of a lot is riding on this).

Navy FC2 MK15 Phalanx CIWS Tech with just shy of 7 years in the Navy.  I understand if I do get picked up that I'll most likely be an ET3.   If anyone has thoughts or suggestions or anything to make my packet look better please let me know.  I've been working fairly closely with the recruiters but I'm always open to suggestions.
    yak901

--
    10 Mar 2014 11:31 PM
    Hey, I made an account just to reply to this. I'm a ET in the CG currently filling a MK-92 billet...big emphasis on currently. As a ET in the CG you're going to be required to fill a broad range of jobs within the electronics field. For your packet I would definitely emphasize that you are capable of learning technologies that you have never seen before. On the cutter I get my hands into a little of everything that's electronic (IFF, TACAN, SCCS, all of the radios, 73 radar, the small boat, 1MC, EVERYTHING!) even though I haven't had the C school and it isn't my billet. On shore I did small boat maintenance, DGPS, tower climbing/maintenance, and cutter support. You'll have to be a jack of all trades in the CG. 

Since I've gone through a FC course (with a little info of the CIWS) I know how intense the systems are, so I know you can definitely learn it but I'd seriously make sure that you say that you know that CG ETs have a EXTREMELY broad knowledge base and that you're excited to take it on.

Best of luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions.
    Sylis

--
    11 Mar 2014 09:10 AM
    Hey, thanks for replying.  It was definitely something I included.  I had to write a resume for the packet and I included that I while I went to school for CIWS I also worked on the RAM and NATO missile launcher systems extensively.

The Chief at the recruiting office is an ET and was telling me that ET's in the Coast Guard aren't like the ones in the Navy and are kind of jack of all trade types.  He was also telling me that when you're up for orders that you can pick orders for different systems?
    How likely are ET's to get picked up for orders that aren't from their initial C school?
    yak901

--
    11 Mar 2014 11:40 AM
    When you're transferring units tqc will only issue you orders to the schools that are required for your new billet but you can put in a request to go to any school as long as you meet the prerequisites for it.  Every month or so tqc puts out a message listing classes that have open seats that you can apply for.
    Sylis

--
    12 Mar 2014 10:38 AM
    I don't know the Coast Guard acronyms but I think I get what you're saying. I can still put in for orders for a billet that isn't necessarily CIWS and as long as I get picked up for them, I'd get sent off to the appropriate C school. We sort of had the same thing in the Navy with lists of classes that came out that you could request, but it wasn't ever very likely that you'd get the school. Same situation in the Coast Guard?

Also, my packet was sent up Monday, so here's to hoping I get in. Everyone seems pretty optimist at the recruiting office, they all seem to think I have a pretty good shot, but they've never done a Rate Determination Packet either so I'm not sure how much stock to put into their optimism.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement