Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
I'm the female version of Steve Rogers
Last Post 11 Mar 2014 09:20 PM by JBraz. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AAPW821

--
09 Mar 2014 03:06 PM
    Hello everyone!
    I'm writing to you all from the sunshine state. I come from a Coastie family. My grandfathers, grandmother, uncles, sisters & brothers in law were/are in the USCG. I have always wanted to join since high school but situations would always pop up that I couldn't control. I am now 33 and about to finish my BA in Education. My husband is in the Coast Guard and I would love to take one more chance to see if I could get in (Reserves/Active, I don't mind). 

So, I know my age will be a factor. But, if anyone else has been in this situation or can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. I took the ASVAB last year and did well.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Mar 2014 03:13 PM
    We wish you the best...please thank your family for helping to protect our great nation!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Mar 2014 06:34 PM
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at 33 you're well beyond the age cut off. Max for AD is 27 and max for Reserve is 30 (39 1/2 if prior service).
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    09 Mar 2014 07:06 PM
    The Auxiliary is always an option. There is no pay, but you can still be supporting the Coast Guard.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    10 Mar 2014 01:02 AM
    Gocoastguard.com says 39 is the age cutoff for reserves. Is that really only for prior service?
    AAPW821

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:04 AM
    CPORJM, are you a recruiter?
    Ebee, I read the same thing on the website:

"The Coast Guard Reserve also values civilian education. If you currently have 60 semester hours or more and are between the ages of 27 and 40, you may enlist at an advanced pay grade (E-3). You will attend 3 weeks of training at Cape May, NJ, then attend specialized training. Please note: in some situations, you could be sent to your duty station after completion of the condensed 3 week basic training, then to specialized training."
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:13 AM
    I just want to know who is Steve Rogers?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    AAPW821

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:17 AM
    Steve Rogers...Capt. America before he goes through his transformation... I'm underweight & want to join the USCG...
    AAPW821

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:19 AM
    My husband and I were planning to do that as well when our kids move away from home 
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:20 AM
    I asked 4 different people who Steve Rogers was and not one of them knew. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    AAPW821

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:21 AM
    Posted By Amorhetleven on 09 Mar 2014 08:06 PM
    The Auxiliary is always an option. There is no pay, but you can still be supporting the Coast Guard.

My husband and I were planning to do that as well when our kids move away from home 
    AAPW821

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:22 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 10 Mar 2014 08:20 AM

Ugh! What kind of childhood did you guys have? lol Now you know!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2014 09:03 AM
    Not one filled with cartoon characters. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Mar 2014 07:50 PM

You clearly did not ask me.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2014 05:52 AM
    You were traveling! Now you are too excited and lunching in he Miami sun to have time for me. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Mar 2014 08:31 AM
    Posted By ebee on 10 Mar 2014 02:02 AM
    Gocoastguard.com says 39 is the age cutoff for reserves. Is that really only for prior service?   
    It's if you're going to DEPOT, which will be for those prior service going CGR or those with a specific skill set the CG wants...http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-yo...e-programs

Otherwise, 30 is the cut off ...http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-your-career/reserve-opportunities/reserve-opportunities/how-to-join
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Mar 2014 08:34 AM
    Posted By AAPW821 on 10 Mar 2014 08:04 AM
    CPORJM, are you a recruiter?
    Ebee, I read the same thing on the website:

"The Coast Guard Reserve also values civilian education. If you currently have 60 semester hours or more and are between the ages of 27 and 40, you may enlist at an advanced pay grade (E-3). You will attend 3 weeks of training at Cape May, NJ, then attend specialized training. Please note: in some situations, you could be sent to your duty station after completion of the condensed 3 week basic training, then to specialized training."
    Not a recruiter, but I've been in the Reserves for 13 years, so I've got a good knowledge of the Reserve program

C4IT1

--
    11 Mar 2014 02:59 PM
    Direct Entry Petty Officer Program - If you are between 27 and 40 years of age with a professional skill or prior military service that relates to a Coast Guard job field, you may be able to enlist at an advanced pay grade with greater responsibility (E-4). You will attend 3 weeks of condensed basic training at Cape May, NJ, then report directly to your duty station without additional training.

The Coast Guard Reserve also values civilian education. If you currently have 60 semester hours or more and are between the ages of 27 and 40, you may enlist at an advanced pay grade (E-3). You will attend 3 weeks of training at Cape May, NJ, then attend specialized training. Please note: in some situations, you could be sent to your duty station after completion of the condensed 3 week basic training, then to specialized training.
    C4IT1

--
    11 Mar 2014 03:01 PM
    Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. I know we're cutting back on blue suiters, but talk to a recruiter. The worst that can happen is that he/she could say no. There are always waivers, and the Coast Guard is always looking for diversity.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    11 Mar 2014 09:20 PM
    You would indeed be eligible for reserves enlistment, your age would however prohibit you from active duty. You would need to get going though, things would get difficult without having prior service once you hit your 35th birthday.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement