Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Reenlistment Standards
Last Post 31 Mar 2014 06:20 AM by LauraDK. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
10 Mar 2014 06:44 AM
    My station had a meeting this morning to go over the new reenlistment standards for the USCG. The following conditions make it so you may require a board by your superiors to reenlist:

If you have more than two unsatisfactory numbers on your marks (like in your whole career).
    If you have had ANY DWI's.
    If you've failed your weight standards 3 or more times.
    If your govt travel card has been revoked in the past.

I think there may have been one or two more, but they escape me at the moment.

To a certain degree I concur with these standards, but on the other hand one of my command said that "some of the best leaders we have in the Coast Guard started off with a bit of a checkered past." Which is very true too.

I'm curious as to what your opinions are on the topic.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    10 Mar 2014 06:49 AM
    Found the official bulliten! Here's the list

a. Achieve a minimum factor average of 3.5 on their enlisted
    performance evaluations,
    b. Have no more than one unsatisfactory conduct mark,
    c. Have no special or general courts-martial conviction,
    d. Have no conviction by a civil court equivalent to a
    felony-type offense,
    e. Have no documented offense for operating a vehicle, or any
    other motorized mode of transportation, under the influence of
    alcohol or controlled substances,
    f. Have no documented offense for which the maximum penalty
    for the offense, or closely related offense under the UCMJ and Manual
    for Courts-Martial, includes a punitive discharge,
    g. Have not had their personal-use government travel charge
    card permanently revoked for misuse or delinquency,
    h. Have no more than three weight probationary periods, and
    i. Have no documented incident as a perpetrator of sexual
    assault.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Mar 2014 08:57 PM
    Some I agree with, others I do not. I feel if someone screwed up at the beginning of their career, and has been a great sailor since, then this may be unfair to them. But there are a lot of sh*tbags I would like to see go....
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    12 Mar 2014 05:54 AM
    I agree, FloridaGirl.
    From what I've seen at my first station alone, some of our BEST people here had an alcohol incident REALLY early on in their carreer, and another had an unsatisfactory conduct mark for defending a friend in a fight, but the cops were called. Both are currently exemplary coasties, and Id hate to know they cant advance because of it.
    Then again the sexual assault thing is a big issue and a huge hot topic, so that i understand with a few others.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2014 07:26 AM
    I know some very successful officers, one rather intimately at one time in my life, that might have a hard time standing up against this. He was never on the fat boy program but he has struggled, always has probably always will, to maintain a CG weight. He had an alcohol incident less than a year in the CG. If my understanding is correct, an alcohol incident won't kill your chances and there was no DUI charge... but I think these are a tad overboard. I beleive there should be punishment if you commit a crime... I don't know that this punishment fits these crimes. But no one is asking a civilian ex-wife and mom what she thinks. I just feel terrible for the really good Coast Guardsman this is going to effect.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Mar 2014 11:31 AM
    like me! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I already started planning my civilain life sweet jesus
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2014 11:36 AM
    Bells, is there a stipulation that you can appeal if your command thinks you are worth keeping? I believe that's what was read by another member... I don't see why you wouldn't get an appeal to that decision. The CG isn't going to want to lose a BM of your caliber to some ridiculous incident. You paid your debt to society, as it were, but I think this exceeds the crime commited.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    12 Mar 2014 01:36 PM
    Like Old Guard said, I've been told that a board (mostly of your command) can reccomend you for advancement. Sort of a reverse captains mast. Like "Yeah, true she had an alcohol incident...but that was 8 years ago and she's gotten 6's and higher on her marks ever since."
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Mar 2014 02:24 AM
    Your command can make an appeal but whoever ends up being responsible for the few dozen hundred appeals is probably just gunna bust through them with guidelines to follow. I'll appeal. We talked about extensively today, but still I'm not holding my breath.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    13 Mar 2014 05:05 AM
    They could probably do it that way Bells but on the flip side they could just as easily bust through them approving reenlistment simply based on the fact that the current command of those few dozen hundred members took the time to recommend they be allowed to stay in...we hope that is the case anyway for all you coasties that are excellent leaders and team members.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Mar 2014 05:37 AM
    Stay positive Bells. Until they say absolutely no, you gotta go, stay positive and plan to stay.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    13 Mar 2014 08:27 AM
    So, my husband said that the reenlistment standards are for "things that happened in your current enlistment." So, say you've gone to a-school, and had to reenlist for your orders, and you screwed up as a non-rate, its ok. Only if you screwed up since the last time you took the oath. Does that make sense? IDK if he got more info on it because he is a YN or what, but I hope he is right.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    13 Mar 2014 12:32 PM
    Thats an interesting point FloridaGirl. I hadn't thought of that.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Mar 2014 07:31 PM
    Ya since I extended instead of reenlisted I am at a disadvantage. Those that reenlisted are fine. What sucks is you are always guided to extend instead of reenlist just in case they bring bonuses back. But ... ya. Didn't see this coming. It's OK.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    15 Mar 2014 08:16 PM
    Bells, if I get in, do you recommend that I always reenlist instead of extend? At some point or another you would have to reenlist right? so why are you at a disadvantage?
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Mar 2014 08:57 PM
    The max time you can do in extensions is 6 years and then the max time you can do in an enlistment is 6 years, so there very well maybe some coasties out there with about 10-12 years and still in their first "enlistment". You do this because if hypothetically they brought bonuses back, you have the opportunity to possibly get two in your career, and you can only get one per enlistment.

So say for me, I was coming up on my original 4 year enlistment mark, and also I was transfering at the 3 year mark. Well to transfer, you have to obligate a full tour if you are under 6 years. So for me, I had the choice of extending a little over two years to fullfill a full 3 year tour after my first 3 year tour, or just go ahead and reenlist, without getting a bonus and not knowing if I will in the future.
    So I extended and so my first enlistment equaled my first 4 year enlistment plus my twoish year extension. And I hypothetically did this in the case my rating suddenly went critical, and they were offering bonuses for reenlistment at my 6 year mark since they weren't at my 3 year mark. I would then in a couple years come up to my 6 year mark, say by the power vested in people of power I stay in, and they still aren't offering bonuses for my rating, we'll I could extend AGAIN, let's say another 3 years because I want to go to a cutter. At my 9 year mark they suddenly offer a bonus. Sweet. I get 20,000$ and reenlist for 2 years since that's the minimum according to the advancements, asscessions, separations manual. Alright now, at the next time of expiration of enlistment, I am at 11 years. They don't have bonuses again. Ok no big deal, I extend and extend until I am at 17 years, since the max I can extend is 6 total. Boom. They offer a bonus again. Boom. I successfully received two bonuses.

Now all that is probably confusing. It's kind of hard to understand much less try to tell someone. But the bottom line is the goal was to originally extend an enlist as long as you can so that you could get a bonus if it were offered, and then do it again in case you can get one again.

So that is why in that message they said your current enlistment including extentions. They are trying to make the pool as large as possible and that is probably a pretty large pool of people that are no longer eligible.

Would I say one should enlist or extend for future endeavors? Who knows I don't think it's very fair that they suddenly came out with this when they could have easily have done a "from this point forward" yada yada yada. But they can do whatever they want obviously.

But as least newbies will know hey, you can't get in trouble an expect to stay in. So I guess since you know you'll never get in trouble then you can extend all you want to try and receive bonuses. But I'll tell you, if I had any idea this.policy change was on the table I would have reenlisted. And then I would have been good this period
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    15 Mar 2014 09:59 PM
    Wow thanks for the explanation Bells! I didn't even know extensions were a possibility, let alone that they could be beneficial. I appreciate your insight.

I hope that an appeal gets approved for you.

"You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    16 Mar 2014 12:52 AM
    Thanks. One thing you might notice when you get in is that 1. Everyone makes mistakes. 2. The ones that make them over and over make it hard for the one timers such as in policy changes like this. And 3. You probably want supervisors that have made a mistake or two before in their career, I'm not talking anything retched, but it's those guys that are going to be most educated in the processes, have empathy when it happens to someone else, and then take home some major lessons learned. I honestly can say I only know a handful of coasties that might officially not have any negative incidents

Anyone that's a hard worker and a good heart is usually going to have command backing. I don't feel just for myself, this policy is going to affect alot of my friends that are good leaders and got in trouble some 5-6 years ago. People do a lot of growing up in 5-6 years. And now we are pooping our pants because we thought we had control over the rest of our future decision makings and career, and all of a sudden we don't.

We'll see. I have a buddy that just called me yesterday. He got an alcohol incident when he was 18. He never got it off his record and now, a year after the fact, and 6 years after his first one, and almost a year after transfering, his old command just gave him an AI. He is freaking out of his brain. There are a bunch of things he could have done to not be in this situation, but still you just feel for someone.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    16 Mar 2014 05:59 AM
    They are being very generous with the three weight probations.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Mar 2014 02:04 PM
    Everyone needs to read the official message in its entirety. It talks about if any of those things occurred on the CURRENT ENLISTMENT. it does not look back at your whole career. That's what CRSP does.

Also, an extension in this case could be harmful. Let's say you got a DUI 4 years ago, and instead of re enlisting, you extended. That means you extended the current enlistment, meaning the DUI happened on your current enlistment. Had the member reenlisted instead, it cancels out the old enlistment and the new enlistment starts when it is signed. An extension simply extends the end date. So while an extension has benefits in some regards, it does not in regards to this policy.

The message also mentions that there is an appeal process. Overall, I am a fan of this policy and feel like it should have been around from the beginning.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    31 Mar 2014 06:20 AM
    OH! I must have missed that portion in the message. Good catch Cooch! That makes this sound a lot more reasonable.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement