Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
On base housing and pets
Last Post 13 Apr 2014 08:48 PM by rfail1988. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
10 Mar 2014 07:09 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I am currently the owner of a small pit bull (sweetest thing in the world, dont even get me started about her). She's spayed, chipped, and up to date on all her shots. But I am aware that certain places we can get stationed, like Miami, have a very strict 'no bully breed' ordinance. Like if they see me walking her on the street they can just take her and/or fine me up to $500!
     If I ever get stationed in a place like that and am living on base housing, would the ordiance not apply since I would technically be housed on government land? Or would they let me get BAH so I could seek housing outside the county lines?

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Mar 2014 12:06 PM
    If Government housing is readily available, I believe you're required to use it. If it's not, or it's full, you'll get BAH. As an example, here in Los Angeles/Long Beach, there is no Gov't housing, so all AD personnel get BAH.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    10 Mar 2014 12:42 PM
    Well, that I understand. My question being if I have a pet like a pit bull, but i get stationed in an area where pits are not allowed (like Miami) would i be able to keep her on base housing since its government property instead of state/county property?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2014 01:12 PM
    Base by base regulations. Most will follow city ordinance, I believe. Even if the base has its own rules in place, you still have to leave base for vet appointments and such. Could be a sticky wicket.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    11 Mar 2014 03:54 AM
    Yep usually they are going to go with local regulations. Also keep in mind pits are banned in DOD housing. We have two pits and this posed a huge problem when we moved to NYC, it was hard to find a place to rent. So we chose CG housing...
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    11 Mar 2014 06:04 AM
    ...would they be banned in DHS housing? And I'm certainly not getting rid of my dog. If they mandate housing, do I just neglect to mention her breed? or say she's mixed?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2014 08:53 AM
    Does she LOOK pittie? If she has that LOOK, you can't really mistake the breed. Good luck... I know how you feel, I would give away my kidney before I would give away my dogs!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2014 09:17 AM
    do I just neglect to mention her breed?

That would be extraordinarily bad.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2014 09:31 AM
    I don't know if moving into housing they've ever asked me the breed of my dog. So if not asked, not mentioned... But if asked, there is really no way around it. That's why I say if she looks lab and is pit mix... you might not have to mention it. But if she looks pit and you simply say Lab Mix if asked... it could lead to real problems. Just face it when it happens, if it happens and make the appropriate decisions from that.

Having a Belgian Malinois and knowing their temperment... I sympathize. There are most that wouldn't trust my girl. Meanwhile to me, she is the sweetest baby ever. I have one co-worker won't even get out of her car if she is at my house she is so terrified of my Hilde. I hold Hilde's snout and kiss her right on the teeth. So, it is subjective and breed bans are probably unfair but pits show a lot of disposition to being awnry, borderline mean. Even those that are sweethearts, sadly get lumped in the mix.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Diesel

--
    11 Mar 2014 01:59 PM
    I'm going to breeze pass any BSL because they are a discussion on its own. What I can give you is my experience. I live on the economy with a pitbull in an area that discriminates against them. The MOST helpful thing we have done for a multitude of reasons is train and certify our dog as a therapy dog through TDI. Now we can take him to visit hospitals and what not. More importantly, 99% of landlords won't mess with you because of ADA laws. Even though he is not a therapy dog FOR me or my wife, most landlords prefer not to muddy the waters. It also helps dispell ignorant views against pits. And yes, my dog looks 100% pit.

Another thing to check out is going to the vet and seeing if the dog is mixed with anything and have them write a letter saying this dog is a ___ mix. That way you have a dr note rather than somebody's opinion of what your dog is.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    12 Mar 2014 06:02 AM
    That's a really good idea, Diesel!
    My old pit was an unoficial therapy dog for autistic kids, but i never went through the whole licencing process. Where would i start looking to get certified?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    12 Mar 2014 07:46 AM
    Couple things: 1. thank you for going through the process of training and certifying your dog. Where I live the laws are extremely elastic regarding 'service' dogs, and the result is so much abuse of the concept that no one believes anyone anymore, when they say their dogs are service animals, unless they're clearly seeing eye dogs.
    2. Can't speak to the municipal codes banning breeds, but as far as rentals go-- many insurance companies will not offer coverage in homes with particular breeds. This ties a landlord's hands and reduces any discretion, because they have no other way to protect their investments (the homes they rent).
    Diesel

--
    13 Mar 2014 01:35 PM
    LauraDK,

Check out http://tdi-dog.org/ that's what my wife and I did with our dog. Also check out http://standupforpits.us/ they are doing some good stuff.

KD

While you're right about insurance companies, they can't discriminate against service/ therapy animals since that falls under ADA and 99% of people don't want to get mixed up in the laws. As for my current place, they don't allow most dogs, but we just had to show a copy of his certification and they let us in, didn't even require a pet deposit. It is funny that people don't want to let big dogs in most places even though it is the small ones always causing issues, IMO.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    19 Mar 2014 01:19 PM
    I guarantee that in Miami they do not have on base housing, and pit breeds are illegal in Miami Dade County. However that means that as long as you have dependents you will live on the economy and can live in a neaby county. I recommend Broward County. The drive isn't too bad and you will get to keep your dogs. So if Miami is your biggest concern, then you and your animal will be ok there.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    19 Mar 2014 01:40 PM
    But for the record pitbulls are not banned in CG housing, they never have been. There may be restrictions at certain units but they are most certainly not banned per the Coast Guard housing manual. I live here and have 2 registered as pits on my pet acknowledgement form.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    21 Mar 2014 10:27 AM
    To JBraz; YAY! Thanks! That's a load off my mind.

to rfail1988; I did look into that and thankfully Broward county isnt too too far from Miami. Though I have a question. If, for whatever reason, I am in Miami for a few days when i report or staying at a hotel, would the authorities give me grief? I've heard horror stories of people getting a hard time or worse from the police if they so much as stop for gas and there's a pitty in the back seat.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    13 Apr 2014 08:43 PM
    That I couldn't answer for you, you'll just have to do your own research. A friendly phone call to a police department in the area would be where I would start if you can't find anything online.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch though, you could be stationed anywhere. And by that I mean ANYWHERE.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    13 Apr 2014 08:48 PM
    Sec. 5-17.6(b)

"No pit bull dogs may be sold, purchased, obtained, brought into Miami-Dade County, or otherwise acquired by residents of Miami-Dade County"..."No such newly acquired pit bull dogs may be kept, maintained, or otherwise harbored within Miami-Dade County, and each day any such newly acquired pit bull is so kept, maintained, or harbored shall constitute a separate violation of this section."

Pretty messed up, I know. I am sorry. At least you have options in nearby counties.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement