Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Ice Breaker Cutter
Last Post 16 Mar 2014 02:56 PM by Amorhetleven. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
EvenKeel

--
12 Mar 2014 10:19 AM
    Has anyone here been stationed on an ice breaker? If so, did you like or dislike it? I imagine it could be either really boring or really cool. Maybe a bit of both?
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2014 10:43 AM
    Bells is a former ice breaker sailor. I'm sure she could answer some questions... From what she has said, she seemed to enjoy it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Mar 2014 11:28 AM
    I was on an icebreaker, the HEALY for 3 years, I started as a fireman and went to BM3 by the time I left. It was pretty neat. No matter what your crew is going to determine how much fun you have, but on that ship you are BUSY. If you are an engineer you are busy and if your deck you are busy. Alot of people on Icebreakers are sometimes on their 2nd or 3rd tour because they like it so much.

I would probably go back. But really, it was the crew that made it fun, and thats going to be any unit.

Long patrols, I was a part of a 6 month one, a 8.5 month one, and a 4 month one. But if you single and down for whatever its fun. if your married with kids it is probably a lot harder to do. But alot of people go because they pretty much get first pick when they transfer out of there.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    12 Mar 2014 12:21 PM
    Wow 8.5 months! That's a long patrol time. I would think some cabin fever would be associated with that length of time. Unless you are making landfall to restock/refuel every couple of months? Or are the supplies delivered?

I would never turn it down, however, I'm not sure how I would feel at see for over half a year never making landfall.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Mar 2014 02:20 AM
    Usually u would go to a port call every 30-50 days, just depends on the mission, but we would always be in Alaska and wouldn't get to Seattle until the end.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Mar 2014 05:39 AM
    And Alaska port calls are always so damn exciting! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    13 Mar 2014 11:50 PM
    I am currently on HEALY as a FN, and I enjoy my job. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to help you out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    14 Mar 2014 10:08 AM
    Thanks all! I have a few more questions that I suppose are about cutters in general. When you go into a foreign port, or a port that isn't your port of call, for resupply do you get any leave off the cutter? How do you stay fit aboard a cutter for months? Also, what is the schedule like once your back at home port and off patrol?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Mar 2014 11:18 AM
    Colin, my son, has been to ports all over the place. He has gotten off the ship and explored. He has loved it. He has been places he would not have had the opportunity to go had it not been for the CG. So long as you don't have duty and must stay aboard the ship, get off, enjoy the local culture.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Mar 2014 12:19 PM
    Depending on the size of cutter there is usually work out equipment. If you are at a port call usually it's either considered work days so you work a normal 7-1 inport schedule or its considered as part of your patrol break so you work 72s, meaning your off except for duty days or coming in every 4th day for a workday. At home port most cutters work 7-1 and then have duty every few days where u stay overnight
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    16 Mar 2014 02:56 PM
    On the Healy we have 2 gyms with lots of equipment. There are also a few people that do crossfit in the hangar after the work day is over. When we pull into port you can take leave, but it is up the discretion of your shop and command. My 3rd took a week of leave and spent the time in Anchorage with her husband during a port call.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement