Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ME or BM?
Last Post 29 Sep 2015 05:59 PM by MacLeod BM2 TACLET. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
Itsgoik

--
12 Mar 2014 12:35 PM
    Im currently in the recruiting process. My recruiter tells me that BMs are more busy with search and rescue and drug smugglers, but I see in videos that MEs do all the law enforcement work. My recruiter says "MEs look cool but BMs are the ones who get called out to emergencies." I am set on a career as a police officer and I want to do a related job in the CG before I am a police officer. Do I go BM or ME. in the vids on youtube BMs are just driving around and tying knots. Also what is the website with current A school wait times?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Mar 2014 12:42 PM
    • Accepted Answer
    The A School list can be found in the FAQ section of this forum. Just go there, click on the A School link.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Mar 2014 02:21 AM
    You'll figure it out when your a nonrate. You'll pretty much see what we do and don't do and then what MEs do and don't do.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    13 Mar 2014 06:41 PM
    Posted By Itsgoik on 12 Mar 2014 01:35 PM
     in the vids on youtube BMs are just driving around and tying knots. 

That made my night!

I went BM hoping I could just drive around and tie knots!  The vids lied to me!  It turns out I actually have responsibilities 

Hahahaha youtube.
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Mar 2014 07:04 PM
    I do like tying knots though. And driving boats.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    17 Mar 2014 09:09 AM
    If you want to be out doing LE, MKs & BMs do the majority. There aren't a lot of MEs at small boat stations(none at mine or the neighboring units), so the MKs/BMs pick up that responsibility. And really, our BMs are usually the coxn of the boat so the boarding officers who actually do LE are MKs.
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    catahoula

--
    28 Mar 2014 04:49 PM
    Just to expand on what cgilliam (hey friend! ) said, at my small boat station, we do have one ME. Even so, the MK's and especially BM3's here seem to do the lion's share of LE work. The ME does most of the LE and BTM-related training here, coordinating everyone's LE-related qualifications, training us on weapons, boarding protocol, and everything else. He also coordinates range dates and works with everyone on their marksmanship. I'd say he spends the vast majority of his time training others as opposed to actually getting underway for LE activities, although he does that occassionally too.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Mar 2014 08:48 PM
    The most recent "A" School list (3/15/14) has the wait time for school at 36+ months and there are 255 people on the list
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    30 Mar 2014 11:35 AM
    depends on the unit. At ours BMs and MKs share everything. It just depends who's busy and who isnt
    MacLeod BM2 TACLET

--
    29 Sep 2015 05:59 PM
    Great Question 

uo to you  BUT BM is the command rating

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement