Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Housing
Last Post 29 Mar 2014 11:26 PM by KD. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Acrmetal

--
22 Mar 2014 08:37 AM
    My son just graduated and is headed to South 
    Portland Maine.  He is being put into government leased housing without a room Mate.   His sponsor did not think that that the place was furnished except had a stove and refrigerator?   Should we be helping Him shop for a whole house?  He is only 19 so has nothing.   Buying all this stuff is expensive even if he buys used.   We are 9 hours away so can't be a lot of help.  
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Mar 2014 01:53 PM
    Does he know how much space he's going to have? And, is there potential for a roommate to move in in the future? All he really needs to start out is a decent bed, couch, and TV as far as furniture goes. There's no need to send him with a whole house until he knows exactly what he's going to need. If he's going to a cutter he can eat most of his meals on board. If he's going to a Station they have a galley. Let him get there and figure out what he needs. You can always buy stuff online and have it shipped, Amazon sells pretty much everything these days.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Mar 2014 07:31 PM
    I agree, also there's been quite of few people that have come and gone through that apartment so there might be some stuff left behind that people don't take with them. But yes in general He'll probably need a bed, and then from now on no matter what he'll be able to take it with him to his next units and if he can't use it for whatever reason then they'll keep it in storage for him
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    24 Mar 2014 07:15 AM
    When I was looking for furniture i would check out the area around dumpsters in apartment complexes on the 1st and 15th of the month. Lots of people who's leases end just put furniture they dont need anymore near the trash in hopes that someone who needs it comes and gets it. Its no guarantee, but I've gotten a few useful things like end tables and vaccumes there. DO NOT get anything heavily fabric, like mattresses or couches.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    24 Mar 2014 08:34 AM
    Don't overestimate the stuff a young guy needs or wants; my son was in barracks and on a cutter before A school.
    After A school, he got an apartment, and he's been in it since Dec 2011--- for weeks he was content to sleep on the floor, but he DID get a TV, a couple of game systems, and a TV stand.
    Now he also has a mattress on the floor, a futon in case someone stays there, and because you need something to sit on while you play video games, a TV tray and a couple of lawn chairs. We bought him a microwave and a crockpot (which he doesn't use ), and he eats standing at the counter or at the galley. He does make great use of his coffee pot, and I believe decorating is restricted to a framed Boondock Saints print.
    When he had his household goods shipped, finally, I used the opportunity to weed my kitchen and send him odds and ends (that he also does not use), and some towels etc.
    That's about it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    26 Mar 2014 08:31 AM
    Well at least he has good taste in movie posters. *thumbs up*
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    26 Mar 2014 11:48 PM
    Got something going for him, huh? You should have seen the picture of his Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Mar 2014 09:53 AM
    When we got our Chirstmas tree I picked out one I liked. Scott picked out the one he liked. His was very pretty, very full, nice branches. The one I picked was pretty but it was stubby, had a spot where there was a big hole, the branches weren't quite as thick. Scott was holding his saying this is the one. I gently laid my tree back down and had "that" look on my face. He said "WHAT?" I told him his tree was very pretty and was sure to make a home very happy... the tree I liked probably died in vain because it was stubby and was missing a couple of limbs... but that's ok, we would get his. *SIGH* He put his tree down, walked over, picked up the tree I was looking at and said "Happy? It didn't die in vain." I was all smiles after that.

Charlie Brown trees are the best trees!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    29 Mar 2014 11:26 PM
    Oh, it's the trees like that that NEED to come home with us, OG2
    The guys don't always get it, do they ?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement