Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My son is finally going in!!
Last Post 01 Apr 2014 04:09 PM by ctgmom. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ctgmom

--
26 Mar 2014 04:51 PM
    Hi all,

My son was supposed to already be in and through BC and A school, but due to "complications" things were delayed (over a year).  He is finally going in and it's really happening (Yay!!).

Can I attend his swearing in at MEPS or the recruiter's office (where ever they do the swearing in)?  He's supposed to be finding out for me, but he's not always forthcoming with that information and giving me enough time to rearrange or get off work.  

He is to report to Camp May on May 20th.  If I figure it right his graduation should be July 4th (cool! but it's a holiday).  How does that work with graduation falling on a holiday?  Trying to plan a little bit in advance.  

Can anyone recommend the best hotel to stay in?  We will possibly need 2 rooms as I may be coming with my in-law and my son's girlfriend and would like to be near the beach and base or at least close to the base and not too far from the beach.

Is there a way (again) to tell which unit/class he will be in?

When can I or should I plan to join the FB page?  

Thanks again for all the help and support!  
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Mar 2014 08:58 PM
    Congratulations on the wonderful news!! Best of luck to both of you. It will be a fun journey.

I have heard differing opinions on the swearing in... For me, it was a very emotional moment and I was thrilled to be there. That was the morning he left for Cape May, at MEPS. The best people with an answer as to what/when you can attend, his recruiter! Call and ask. It's ok, honest. Sometimes even recruits that want to give answers just don't have them. His recruiter will know the right answers.

8 weeks will be July 11th, so you don't have to worry about a holiday graduation. Plan but don't OVER PLAN! You never know what could happen and your plans might be delayed a week, even 2. So be careful. However, you are also talking the Jersey shore in July. So that part will need a bit over planning. There is actually a pinned topic in this forum recommending different hotels. You can look into those and make reservations sooner rather than later. Be sure to mention you are there for CG graduation. One it will probably get you a small discount and two that time of year there is often a 2 or 3 night stay minimum, you can get a room with for only one night.

At this point it is way too far out to guess at company names. Classes can be split, weeks can be skipped, there are a lot of different scenarios. Once we get closer, I can give a much better guess.

You can join the FB group at anytime. There is a Moms group USCG Moms. If you PM me your name, I can PM the admins there and let them know you'll be requesting to join. You can find a lot of support on FB, either the company page, the Moms page or any of the friends and family pages.

Anything else, let us know. We are happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ctgmom

--
    31 Mar 2014 07:35 PM
    Thank you!!!

He was home last night and had to go take care of a few things. Turned in all but one thing on his paperwork. Found out when he's getting sworn in. I will have the official date for graduation in about a week (I'm thinking positive--he's been to a boot camp type thing with CAP so I'm not worried he will have any problems). I think he's very excited.

I've worked out the date for his send off party. It's a crazy weekend for our whole family with everything else being planned that same weekend. It's a popular weekend apparently. But I'm determined to that he will get a send off. Small for family and then I graduation party when he gets home.

I haven't talked to my in-laws yet, but we will probably go up a couple of days early to see the area but I do want to make reservations early especially since we will need at least 2 rooms.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Mar 2014 09:35 PM
    My suggestion.. Date night! Just the 2 of you. My son and I went out for dinner. He left his girlfriend at home, I left my boyfriend at home. Just my son and I went to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant. No phones, no people, no laptops, no disturbances... Just the 2 of us. We sat for a few hours. We talked, laughed, cried, shared and it was just us. So date night... Make it happen, honest, you won't regret it.

If he ships on May 20th, the official graduation date is July 11th. Honest, I know what I'm talking about. Been doing this a long time now. HAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ctgmom

--
    01 Apr 2014 04:09 PM
    I definitely want to do that. It will have to be a date "breakfast" but that will be okay too.

I'm not as nervous as I was last time I thought he was leaving to go. I think because it was such a roller coaster, he was going, he wasn't going, he's going. I finally got to the point once he goes (IF he goes) then I'll believe it. I'm sure May 20th I'll be a bit of a basket case but after the last year+ until he is actually sworn in I'm not obsessing, worrying, getting excited, etc.. lol I'm actually kind of thankful that there is so much going on that weekend before he leaves that I won't have much time to dwell on it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement