Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Kodiak, Alaska
Last Post 01 Apr 2014 01:55 PM by Old Guard2. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RebeccaWard

--
29 Mar 2014 06:58 AM
    I'm hoping to get orders to Kodiak, Alaska out of "A" School. Has anyone been stationed here? Any advice? 

Thanks!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Mar 2014 07:06 AM
    I lived there for 5 years. FloridaGirl has been assigned there. What would you like to know? I loved it and there isn't a day I don't miss it. But it takes a certain person to enjoy that sort of isolation. Ask away, happy to answer what I can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    RebeccaWard

--
    29 Mar 2014 07:24 AM
    How was the weather? Coming from New England, I've heard it isn't much worse than the weather over here.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    29 Mar 2014 09:56 AM
    Ice. Lots of ice. Very short winter days. That's what gets people weather wise. And the isolated nature of island life.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    29 Mar 2014 12:34 PM
    What A School are you going to? If Kodiak is on your list of billets and you want it, you probably have a good chance of getting it.

We had one Alaska pick on our list. Nobody wanted to go. The guy who got it had it ranked dead last.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Mar 2014 12:51 PM
    Sometimes Alaska is a hot pick and a lot of people want it. You just never know. We loved Alaska. All totaled, so far, my ex has done 6 tours in Alaska. That has to say something about what he thinks. My son swears been there, done that growing up. He doesn't want it now as his own coastie. It's a good pick.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    30 Mar 2014 10:07 AM
    In my 12-years I have never heard of anyone not enjoying their time spent in Alaska. I only wish I had tried to be stationed up there early in my career, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about going now as a married man with a baby on the way. I know it would be hard on my wife, who has always had her family near by.

All of my CG friends that have been stationed up their loved it because they were hikers, fishermen, slope goers, and hunters. I'll just have to settle with my experience in Port Angeles, WA and Kittery, ME... the lower US version of AK. If you think you want to go then go now while you're young and less anchored with life issues. Good luck.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    30 Mar 2014 01:21 PM
    I hated it. Lots of people hate it. Its great for the right person, but its definitely not for everyone
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Mar 2014 05:40 PM
    I knew a lot of wives that threatened to leave their husbands and a lot of wives that followed though,made it a promise. But I absolutely loved it. I would go back to any number of places in Alaska again tomorrow. But my bf says nope. So we are considering going back to the Pacific Northwest but home to Oregon.  We'll see... never know where life will take the two of us.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    30 Mar 2014 06:06 PM
    Lol I hated it too. And I wasnt even there to live. But flgirl and I like warm weather. I think I would rather live in PA (port angeles) over Seattle too. Just more homely. But Seattle wasn't that bad in retrospect.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    30 Mar 2014 08:49 PM
    PA is a great town! I have never lived there but I have taken the ferry from PA to Victoria a bunch. The drive down 101 to I5 is one of my favorites. Interesting that the Coast Guard base is way down the jetty.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    30 Mar 2014 09:01 PM
    MY LAST PICK - ALASKA.... No way in heck would I ever want to be stationed here. Beautiful.. yes. For me? HECKKKKK NO! Sunshine and palm trees..... I am there.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Mar 2014 04:24 AM
    I'm the EPO of CGC Sunshine and Palm Trees, it's pretty great. I think I may try to stay below I-10 for the rest of my career.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Mar 2014 05:23 AM
    Y'all can keep that sunshine and palm tree bullshit. That's not for this kid. It is 44 here this morning and I'm sweating, I have the ceiling fan on full and tonight, if it really does hit 60+ today, air conditioner will be going on and I do not care. I cannot stand the heat and all that sunshine, no no no! I prefer gray days. HAHA

Oddly enough I loved living in Fort Worth, Texas. But it was not beach and humidity crap. But to live in Miami, Hawaii, San Diego... Not a chance! I did live in New Orleans for a while so I've experienced it. I would rather not ever again.

Alaska is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    31 Mar 2014 06:18 AM
    I personally would hate going to Alaska, but I have a shipmate who got stationed there about 6 mos ago and she LOVES IT! Especially since this last winter the Northeast here got smacked with bad weather and sub zero temps, it was 40ºF or warmer in Alaska.
    From what she tells me, yes it is a bit isolated, but she's always been kind of an introvert anyway and enjoys reading more than she would a night on the town. I have a few handful of shipmates I work with now who are hunters and they'd sell their soul to get stationed there.
    To each his own, but from what I've heard recently, its wonderful for the right type of person.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    01 Apr 2014 07:25 AM
    Gears... I am totally with you on that one!! I would be okay with South of Charleston on the East/West coast and I hope to get a billet in Hawaii at some point. I am south of I4 right now and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    01 Apr 2014 08:43 AM
    I'm with OldGuard. I hope to get stationed above latitude 40N. Give me mountains and give me the sea for both are my roots for poetry.

Honestly I'll gladly take anything aboard a cutter for my first station out of basic and if I don't get stationed aboard a cutter, I'll bide my time until I do. Alaska would be awesome it has everything an outdoor enthusiast could hope for.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2014 09:32 AM
    Keel, you want to read a good story... 58 Degrees North: The Mysterious Sinking of the Arctic Rose by Hugo Kugiya. It is about the F/V Arctic Rose that went down in 2001. My ex-husband was a pivotal inspector for the CG on that case. He is actually mentioned in the book. It is about Alaska, fishing, boating, sinking... If you are a reader, it is a good read, very interesting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    01 Apr 2014 12:16 PM
    Thanks Old Guard, I am very much a reader. Currently I'm reading The Finest Hours by Michael J. Tougias. It's a true story of an amazing Coast Guard rescue just after WWII. I just started it yesterday, can't put it down. If you haven't ready it yet I highly recommend it, fast read but it's really good. I'll have to pick up a copy of 58 Degrees North and check it out.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Apr 2014 12:23 PM
    Flying Through Midnight, I don't remember the author. I read it over a duty weekend at the Station. I knew they lived through it, because someone had to write the book, but damn. I'm pretty sure I held my breath through entire chapters.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Apr 2014 01:55 PM
    I'll look into both... I used to love to read. It sort of fell off for a while but now, I'm back to a book a week, a couple of weeks if it is an intense book. But I have to say getting the Nook really increased my reading habits. The thing is so light, so easy to see, I can carry it anywhere... I am back to reading again with a vengeance. Which is good, I get to travel to all sorts of places and never leave the comfort of my couch.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement