Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Switching from Active Duty to Reserve?
Last Post 12 Aug 2008 11:40 PM by urtruedestinee. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
urtruedestinee

--
10 Aug 2008 10:50 AM
    Hey everyone!
                  Its Destinee, Im back! I have gotten all settled in at my new station in California! Everyone here is just wonderful! I have qualified in watch standing and I am currently tring to get all my qualifications for boat crewman on the 47' and the 25' however i am having some doubts at the moment. I like my job and love the people I work with however its alot of time away from my family. To me family will always be number one and I am just having a hard time feeling that while in the CG thats what comes first. I was wondering if you can switch from Coast Guard Active Duty to Coast Guard Reserve? I have only been in 6 months so Im not sure if that effects anything and If i am able to I am still undecided as to if thats what i am going to do or can do finacially at the moment. I was just curious as to if you can. If anyone has any anwsers or advice I would greatly appreciat it! Thankyou!
    Destinee

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ErinSmith

--
    10 Aug 2008 06:11 PM
    Hi there..I know what you mean about being away from your family..I don't know any info on switching over but im sure you can find out by calling a recruiter or talking to someone at your station right?? I hope everything works out!..I do have a question also..what is your job? Are you a BM? I am leaving for Boot September 23rd(nervous!) and will be going for BM. It sounded from your paragraph that you might be a BM..any help?! Thanks Destinee..

-Erin Smith
    (Future Coastie!)

-Erin Smith
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    10 Aug 2008 06:16 PM
    Sorry, actives and reserves are separate organizations and you can't 'transfer' between them. To switch, you have to be released by the organization you are in and then join the other through a recruiter. It's difficult to get released by the reserves so that you can join active, but not impossible. I've personally never heard of an active component releasing anyone before their commitment was up so they could join the reserve component.
    FAITH

--
    12 Aug 2008 02:08 PM
    Hi Destinee
    My Son is going through the same thing. I think most of us dont realize how hard it is to leave our families behind and all the familar things about home. I know my son has had a very hard time not being home and time is helping some. It seems like topics like that are not discussed as much on hear maybe it should be. I sent you a PM and will be glad to talk to you if you need a ear to listen I am hear. I will include you in my prayers.
    Faith
    urtruedestinee

--
    12 Aug 2008 11:40 PM
    Hey there! Yeah its pretty tough I want you if you are joining to really think is this the right thing. Im not saying i regret my decision because i have alot of fun and some really good times down at the station but my family is and always will be number one in my heart and i feel that i cannot be one hundred percent commited to that while i am away so much. I know though that its all in my will power and i will accept no less then for them to come first. Im sure this is alot eaiser for single people joining. Part of the problem is that i was a stay at home mom for a year and then went straight to this. I found out yesterday that you cannot go active to reserve so i am just going to make the best of it, and while i am in i am taking classes through the Coast Guard Institute so that i can get a Bachelors Degree in Education and an Associates in Criminal Justice that way when i get out i am guareented a good job with good pay.
    Erin Smith- By the way, yes I am going BM LOL! Right now I am just a non-rate but I am working towards striking BM. If you have any questions about what its like to be a non-rate in the fleet or about boot camp please feel free to ask!
    Thankyou all for you advice I really appreciate it!
    Destinee

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement