Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Current Status and Helpful Tips
Last Post 26 Apr 2014 04:37 PM by captkyguy. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mbeltows

--
25 Apr 2014 11:20 AM
    My daughter is 16 years old and interested in joining the CG following high school graduation. She has always been athletic and participated in organized sports. She is currently a member of the track and field team (long distance), swim team and cross country team. She is not a superstar but continues to participate and enjoy the environment. Her academic performance is similar, good grades but not great, B average. She is taking all college prep courses and even some honors classes. She has been accepted into a student teaching program for next year which is fairly competitive. She also has work experience. She is currently working at a local grocery store and works over the summer as a junior coach on our neighborhood swim team. She has already taken the ASVAB and did about as well as can be expected for a 16 year old taking if for the first time, 42 (I think). I have read on the forum where higher is better and certainly appreciate that. I have purchased for her a study guide to help improve her score. She has also signed up for Red Cross lifeguarding classes and will most likely be working as a lifeguard this summer. She has no criminal record or medical issues.

My question (finally) is what can she do over the next two years to better prepare her for the CG?

PS I love the forum and really appreciate the insight and guidance.
    Kierstenrc

--
    25 Apr 2014 12:28 PM
    I'm just starting out the recruitment process but they don't look at your transcripts. They just want to know if you have a diploma and what your GPA is. Just maintain your gpa and stay physical fit. If she is 16, look into joining a Sea Scout ship. That is great training for Coast Guard. It will teach her drill and seamanship. It looks great when talking to the recruiter too.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    25 Apr 2014 12:33 PM
    It sounds like your daughter has a lot going for her already at her young age, which you should be proud of. As long as she keeps it up and stays clean with her police, credit, and medical records she should be a fine applicant for joining active duty enlisted (I'm assuming that's what she wants). It doesn't hurt to continue to take the ASVAB practice tests or even take the real test through her high school if it's offered. The real test and it's score are valid for two years from the date of exam. Although the Coast Guard takes in applicants with an average AFQT score of 73 (currently), getting a lesser score will not eliminate her chances,  but a score of 42 will require a waiver from Recruiting Command AND she has to qualify for at least one "A" school.

At my office we do not start accepting high school applicants until around January of their senior year, and we require a letter from their guidance counselor stating their grades are in good standing and are scheduled to graduate on time. We wait close to the end as so much can happen in their lives during that time. Other than continuing her physical activities and being able to meet or exceed the fitness standards (http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-...training), getting her HS diploma is the best thing she can do for herself.

I wish her the best.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Apr 2014 01:11 PM
    Sounds like she will make a great recruit. The Storm is a recruiter and he will have some of your best advice. JBraz is another of our recruiters and offers some excellent information. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. We are always happy to help. Welcome aboard.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    25 Apr 2014 02:47 PM
    Studying for the ASVAB makes a world of difference. ASVAB for dummies is a great way to study, I read through the book 3 times, re focused on the parts I needed help with and took all the practice tests. It was recommended to me by 3 different people and each of them scored 80 or higher. It sure prepared me sufficiently.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 Apr 2014 08:35 PM
    Excellent advice from thestormiscoming...not anything to add there. We wish her the best and know you are and will be very proud of her.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    mbeltows

--
    26 Apr 2014 06:16 AM
    I tend to get a little confused (and overwhelmed) by all of the terminology used since no one in our household has a military background. I have seen the term ASVAB used, which my daughter has taken, and AFQT. Are they one in the same? Is it possible to derive your AFQT from your ASVAB? Is one more important than another? I have done some research online but as with anything on the internet, you can only trust it so far. Any suggestions for online study courses or books for ASVAB/AFQT? The ASVAB for Dummies sounds like a good suggestion, any others? I was considering download some apps for her phone.

What is an A School?

Good stuff and thanks again so much for the advice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Apr 2014 06:28 AM
    I'll take the one I can answer for sure... A School is where they go to learn their rating. BM, MK, OS, FS, MST, AET.... those are ratings. Your ASVAB determines which ratings you qualify for. You then pick the list you would like to put your name on, you go to that A School and become a Petty Officer. For a few rates you can strike, that's on the job training.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    26 Apr 2014 06:30 AM
    AFQT (armed forces qualification test) score is your numerical score received from completing the ASVAB (armed services vocational aptitude battery). This site does a decent job to spell it all out for folks. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/join...tscore.htm

I've heard the tips and practice tests at this link are decent. http://m.military.com/join-armed-forces/asvab
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Apr 2014 04:37 PM
    Kaplan has a good book many others have suggested...the best things is to have her look at a few in the book store and pick the one that reads and flows best and feels good for her.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement