Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question for recruiters re letters at boot camp
Last Post 04 Jun 2014 07:28 PM by Klondike11. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
02 Jun 2014 08:58 AM
    I belong to several family support FB pages for CG issues, and help admin one. A family whose recruit is shipping shortly say they have been told by two recruiters that their letters to boot camp will be read by CCs.   They have been advised to avoid 'anything mushy, so the recruit doesn't get made fun of' (pardon the grammar -_-  ) .
    Common sense says breaking bad news at boot camp is a bad idea, and we already know the 'no music, no glitter, etc' rules. 
    Is this something I now need to make sure families know?  That recruits' letters may be read and  screened for mush and bad news?  One specific instance they have been told will be censored is a 'Dear John'.  
    In the past we have just told them to be upbeat, supportive and use common sense.  
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Jun 2014 09:48 AM
    they have been told by two recruiters that their letters to boot camp will be read by CCs.

I understand the intent, but that seems like a pretty big breach of privacy.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    02 Jun 2014 10:05 AM
    And also a ridiculous amount of man hours, to troll recruit letters? o.O
    I can't imagine it's so, but I want to say for sure when I answer the parents now second guessing EVERYthing they are writing. As far as I'm concerned, it's bad enough some CCs monitor boot camp company pages-- before graduation, there are obviously no recruits on the page, just family. What would be the point other than creating paranoia?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Jun 2014 10:57 AM
    I have no idea. Maybe they're trying to gauge the types of recruits they'll be picking up?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    02 Jun 2014 04:06 PM
    When I went through, they just passed out the mail unopened to us, then we opened it ourselves. They would then ask if anybody got any banned material (newspapers, bad photos...) Otherwise it was completely private. But, my experience was a few years ago... I really can't imagine them opening the letters though.
    Redirected

--
    02 Jun 2014 06:08 PM
    I went to boot camp in August. It's still the same way JDMD.

You are asked if anything is banned after you open it yourself, but may Davy Jones help you if you lie about something being banned.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jun 2014 05:22 AM
    Well I was a young girlfriend, in love, missing my fiancé and there was nothing like this available when Jim went trough boot camp in 1985. I had no idea. So I would tape the box scores from baseball to the bottom of letters. Yeah, it was that long ago, you read it in the paper and they actually published the scores, standings, games ahead, games behind... LOL. Then Pete Rose was chasing Ty Cobbs streak and he was on the cover of Time or Sports Illustrated. Well again, I had no idea. I sent him the magazine! Oh sweet Mary!!!!!! The envelope was obviously very large, so his CC opened it and called him into his office. BM1 Stott apparently hated contraband but even more, he despised Pete Rose! That was a very, very bad day for my poor Coastie. I got a letter BEGGING me to stop sending that stuff. Seriously, no one told me! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Please, don't be me! HAHA
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    03 Jun 2014 05:52 AM
    During DEPOT (July-August 2013), our CC or our mail recruit would bring the mail in, read a name and drop it on the ground. We delivered our own outgoing mail to the mailbox, so neither incoming nor outgoing was read.

The "worst" part about mail was one of the wives sent her husbands letter overnight, and the USPS decided to put it in a BIG envelope and require a signature, so he had to open it in front of the CC's to verify there was no contraband, but he never got in trouble for it. My wife also overnighted a letter, and it got put into a big envelope, but she told USPS that it absolutely cannot need a signature and they obliged.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Jun 2014 09:23 AM
    I can't see them taking the time to do that, with all the work involved in running a company. And to what end? Sounds to me like someone needed to start a good rumor.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    03 Jun 2014 12:37 PM
    Thank you for the feedback; I will pass it on.
    I asked the family in question, twice, and they were very specific that this direction came from *two* recruiters in the same office during their son's application process.
    It made no sense to me. Starting a rumor for the fun of it doesn't either, though--- currently CG recruiters have a better reputation than those from the other branches, just because they don't bull their applicants.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    03 Jun 2014 02:59 PM
    If you leave an open letter laying out on your rack then it's free game. Saw someone go to RAMP for that once the letter was read lol! Let's just say the letter admitted some integrity issues.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Jun 2014 05:49 PM
    Whoops!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    04 Jun 2014 07:04 AM
    Yeah the opening line was hey mom I'm not suppose to be writing you I'm actually in class and it's so boring lol. Whoops commence bad day!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Jun 2014 12:36 PM
    I thought leaving dirty socks in your rack was bad! But to risk ramp or reversion for a letter to mom... Ummm, no. That's not a good day!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Jun 2014 02:01 PM
    We had a guy get caught writing letters in his notebook. He wrote to his GF that we were training to be assassins.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Jun 2014 04:53 PM
    Holy shit, that's classic.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    04 Jun 2014 06:01 PM
    It was pretty funny. Later on in training it was a verse during cadence on a company run.
    Klondike11

--
    04 Jun 2014 07:28 PM
    They never read our mail but occasionally they would give someone a hard time about a picture they had gotten. One of the female recruit's sisters mailed her a Channing Tatum poster, which was confiscated, but it kept reappearing throughout training, haha.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement