Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hello!
Last Post 23 Dec 2014 06:22 AM by stealthtt24. 46 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
26 Jun 2014 03:01 PM
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

Thought I would introduce myself as today I had my first interview with the Coast Guard earlier today. I found this forums a few months ago and used it as my tool to gain knowledge of the CG as well as talking to a friend who has served. Went in today to fill out some paperwork and get my ASVAB date set up. As of now I am willing to take active or reserve, but unfortunately I am over 27 so I understand if my waiver is not accepted. Luckily I am current Police Officer with multiple years of experience and certifications and so I have a back up plan. I will most likely post my updates here and there and we shall see what happens! Thanks for all the info that was already posted, very helpful. 

Edit: Guess I should post why I want to join the CG... I love my job as LEO. Love the action but also enjoy the down time and yes, I genuinely enjoying helping people. I absolutely love to travel and have been out of the US many times. The CG seems to me at least, to be very well respected and has a level of prestige to them. Not letting just anyone in, I respect that. Since law enforcement and travel seem to be a big part of the CG, I think it would be a perfect fit for me. I'll be honest, if I get the waiver I am a little nervous about doing grunt work for possibly up to 2 years but in the same token I understand it. I also know my work ethic and I have earned everything I have achieved in the past from my attitude- never ever give up and stay positive! I believe that will help me if I do go active to open a few doors and ease the time to A school. Thanks for reading!
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Jun 2014 05:29 PM
    Welcome aboard. I wish you all the best. Thank you for your service in law enforcement already. Let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Kierstenrc

--
    26 Jun 2014 06:36 PM
    Welcome! I'm just starting out on my recruitment too so I'm in the same boat. Just a little younger though. The guys and gals up here are really nice and helpful for the most part. Several recruiters browse these forums so if you have any questions, this is the place to post them. Old Guard2 has been especially helpful.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Jun 2014 06:36 PM
    Welcome, enjoy your journey and the best of luck to you on the age waiver
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    26 Jun 2014 09:46 PM
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I was really under the weather when I went in, and still am, so I didn't get to ask as many questions as I would have liked. After my ASVAB, providing I pass, is the next step an appointment at MEPS? Searched and couldn't find the application process.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    27 Jun 2014 05:54 AM
    With an acceptable AFQT score you will normally be scheduled for a physical at MEPS if you've been prescreened with a DD 2807-2 by your recruiter. If your recruiter had to request a med read then they need to receive an approval from MEPS first before requesting a physical. Or MEPS may have requested more information about something you answered yes to with your medical history.

Your recruiter will have the answer that fits your application. I wouldnt worry about the age waiver. We've been told to submit them for competetitive applicants up to 32, which is a departure from previous times.

Good luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    27 Jun 2014 05:18 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I'm not familiar with some of what you said but I believed I filled it out. I had a fracture two years ago and am bringing in all of my paperwork associated with it. I guess that would hold up my application till it clears.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    29 Jun 2014 03:41 PM
    I've read a few different things so I just wanted to clear this up. If I have an AA do I go in as an E1 or E2?
    Champman555

--
    29 Jun 2014 04:57 PM
    Everyone in boot is a E1 reguardless. You will graduate as a E2. My contract said I went in as a E3 but in boot you are referred to as a E1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    29 Jun 2014 05:08 PM
    I apologize I should have clarified as I'm more concerned about the pay. Got a mortgage to take care of and trying to get my finances in order. I get paid as e1 in boot, paid as e2 once I'm out then e3 in 6 months providing I make all my quals?
    Champman555

--
    29 Jun 2014 05:39 PM
    I got paid as a E3 and my contract said I was an E3. You should be payed as to what your contract says you are.
    Champman555

--
    29 Jun 2014 05:41 PM
    Oh and welcome aboard! When you finally get to go to BTM/BO school you will have a blast. FLETC is a LE persons dream. Better then the Police Academy i went to.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    29 Jun 2014 06:57 PM
    Excellent thank you, I'll talk to my recruiter see if he can get me e3 in there. Thanks! I assume btm is boarding team member, what's BO? What's FLETC? I looked into DOF/DSF and those seem right up my alley.
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jun 2014 09:02 PM
    You will not get E3 in there. That is for people with Bachelor's Degree and higher right now. The rules were different as short as 6-ish months ago. But as is common in the military, things change all the time. The best you will get is an E-2 upon graduation. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Jun 2014 12:43 AM
    what's BO? What's FLETC?

BO= Boarding Officer
    FLETC= Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    30 Jun 2014 01:57 AM
    Thank you both Old Guard and Gears for your replies!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    30 Jun 2014 08:40 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 29 Jun 2014 10:02 PM
    You will not get E3 in there. That is for people with Bachelor's Degree and higher right now. The rules were different as short as 6-ish months ago. But as is common in the military, things change all the time. The best you will get is an E-2 upon graduation. Best of luck.

It is being continued for FY 2015 too.  E-3 is also available if you've participated in at least two years of ROTC or JROTC, and/or possess prior military service (but don't qualify for DEPOT).
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jun 2014 09:05 AM
    I thought they canceled the JROTC/ROTC requirement as well. Good to know that there is still that little bonus. What about Eagle Scout and Gold something (the equicvalent for Girl Scouts)? Just hate to provide really wrong information when things may have been updated. Thanks Chief.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    30 Jun 2014 02:08 PM
    Oh all that suspended for FY14. I meant ROTC or JROTC are being used in addition to education and military service for FY15. I should have been clearer!
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jun 2014 03:17 PM
    You were clear. I knew exactly waht you were saying, I just wasn't sure about BS & GS. I like that they are including ROTC.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    30 Jun 2014 03:53 PM
    You were reading my mind OG. Eagle and Gold may not get any official recognition right now, but they definitely get a closer look. I agree it's good that ROTC is included.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Kierstenrc

--
    30 Jun 2014 05:58 PM
    I wish they included Sea Scouts. I think they do the Quartermaster rank but not the lower ranks like my ranking, Ordinary.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    10 Jul 2014 06:58 PM
    Took the ASVAB today, was hoping for at least an 80. AFQT- 71. I know its not horrible but I wanted to make my packet as competitive as possible due to my age. I was instructed to call my recruiter Monday and go from there.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    10 Jul 2014 07:20 PM
    Hope that your recruiter as great news for you on Monday...hold your head up proudly you passed and did well.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    11 Jul 2014 01:47 PM
    Thank you sir. I'm thankful for the score just hoping its good enough with my age. I'll report back on Monday.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    21 Jul 2014 01:21 PM
    Gave my recruiter the scores last week. Informed me I qualified for 20 out of the 21 jobs, minus MST. Submitted all of the medical paperwork I had and I hope it's enough. Now just waiting to see if I get a MEPS date. Pretty nervous!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 Jul 2014 01:29 PM
    Fingers crossed...
    Old Guard2User is Online
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jul 2014 02:13 PM
    My son had the same thing... 20 out of 21, just not MST. His recruiter laughed, knowing that Colin's father was an MST.

Best of luck!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    24 Jul 2014 10:20 AM
    Meps date in two weeks! Quite surprised they didn't want more paperwork. I was too excited and forgot to ask my recruiter, what are the steps after meps?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Jul 2014 01:50 PM
    Awesome... we are excited for you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement