Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Calling the detailer
Last Post 07 Jul 2014 10:52 AM by Seabass. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Seabass

--
06 Jul 2014 07:45 AM

I'm wondering what I should say to the detailer if I call him?  Should I email him or is that too impersonal?  I think phone calls can be forgotten, but emails are in the inbox and can be found later on.  I'm putting in for a billet that I believe to be a long shot, but it is something I really want.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Jul 2014 07:51 AM
    As long as you have approval from your Chain of Command, I would send an e-mail describing what you're interested in discussing.

Good Morning CWO Detailer,

I saw a solicitation for the USCG Space Shuttle Door Gunner Program, and I'm interested in applying. I'd like to discuss my options with you. I can be reached at (contact info).

V/r,

Seabass

Give them a few days to call you back or e-mail you. I've had career counseling over the phone a couple of times with my Detailers, the conversation was incredibly productive. I learned a few things I didn't know.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    06 Jul 2014 08:57 AM
    For a special assignment I always go through the chain and request to reach out, for regular rotation I follow the message instructions for contact. I usually send an email requesting to set up an appointment time where I can call him for career counseling. All three times I've gotten an email saying I'm in give me a shout. Then call say hello and explain what you are looking to do and ask for their feedback... They don't always tell you what you want to hear FYI, but always remain respectful!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Jul 2014 11:54 AM
    I've done the same, I've requested a time to go over my options and he called back same day. But like what chief said, the bosn pretty much said I have to put in for something realistic, meaning if I wanted to get underway then put in for all the boats, and then I have to compete for them.

So coming from a priority two I put down 7 boats and then about 10 or something stations with 47s that had heavy weather. The detailers didn't give me any of the boats but gave me the first station on my list.whether or not it's because I am female and there wasn't berthing or that he didn't want me to do a back to back sea tour, I don't know.

They try, but its a craps shoot. Don't set your sights on one billet you can be dissapointed and there's probably dozens of other people that really want it too.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    06 Jul 2014 12:26 PM
    Usually junior personnel only want location, I wish more senior folks would explain the importance of prioritizing based on career progression. No one told me how bad a 3 year extension would be for me when I would be competing for CWO down the road. Last year when transferring I knew I needed an ESD to further my career, I only placed ESD's down starting with location and working my way down to crappy spots. I got my first pick luckily.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Seabass

--
    07 Jul 2014 10:52 AM
    Thank you all very much for the direction. I'm trying for the offseason solicitation for the WMSL CGC JAMES and I want to make myself as competitive as possible.

Again, thank you for the help.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement