Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Navy ET2
Last Post 03 Feb 2015 05:47 PM by sailorjay1. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chambejp

--
09 Aug 2014 12:31 AM
    So here we go, basically I'm a 35 year old navy ET2, just transferred from drilling reserve to individual ready reserve. I have done 3 years total on active duty and have 1 year left on my IRR contract. I am seriously contemplating going coast guard and it seems from some of these posts that it is possible. I love the ocean and I love the navy, but they aren't taking any prior service and haven't been for years. Total navy service will be 8 years come september, with november 2005 - December 2007 on active duty then august 2010 - august 2011 as a mobilized reservist. I was a National Call to Service contract so I had to go into the reserves after my designated time on active duty as my request to be converted to regular AD was denied because my rate was to critically needed in the reserves. 

Basically my questions are: is it possible to come in prior service to the coast guard, is ET on the Open Rate List, is my dependents going to be an issue, and last but not least, how likely would it be to get stationed in portland, or or is it needs of the coast guard with no input from me?

Oh and I also have a Secret Clearance.

Thank you for your time.

V/R,
    ET2 (SW)
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Aug 2014 06:58 AM
    First you need to contact a recruiter, your constructive age puts you at 32, which may help.

There are 14 states with cities named Portland: Maine, Oregon, Texas, Tennessee, North Dakota, Indiana, Connecticut, Michigan, Arkansas, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Missouri, and Kentucky. You should narrow down what you're looking for, and prepare yourself to be stationed anywhere if you can get in.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    chambejp

--
    09 Aug 2014 01:08 PM
    hahha, ya I suppose your right. Portland, OR is what I meant. What is constructive age?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Aug 2014 03:51 PM
    You can subtract 1 year from your age for each year you've served on active duty.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    chambejp

--
    11 Aug 2014 01:40 PM
    Spoke with a CG Recruiter on the online chat today, My rate is not on the Open Rate List so I could only come in under a different rate which makes me both to old and to many dependents, and since I'm not interested in reserve duty it looks like CG is a no go for me.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Aug 2014 03:45 PM
    Sorry to hear that, Shipmate. I wish you the absolute best of luck in the future.
    sailorjay1

--
    03 Feb 2015 05:47 PM
    Hello ET2,

I used to be a Navy recruiter in Portland OR.  Now I am active duty Air National Guard in AK.  

I work essentially as an OS for NORAD.  We are deployed in place and we work out of either Anchorage AK or Tacoma WA on the western portion of the US.  We monitor the skies for emergencies, Russians, hijackings and such.  We are deployed in place (meaning our mission is 100% where we are located right now... and though we are members of the Air National Guard we are fully active duty (AGR same befits and retirement and everything).  From time to time we hire new members (up to paygrade E5 and you can keep that paygrade with no new boot camp even for crosstraining-- the school for this job is about 5 weeks long and)...  Since you are still IRR in the military you can apply for this next round for up here if you wish...  Here is the announcement.

Your age is fine as well.

You will also need this form...

and this one...

and of course this one...

The required AF form 422 is a brief medical piece that insures you are in good health.  Your most recent physical can be taken to an Air Force clinic (if the guys at the Portland Air Guard clinic (503)335-5000 --- won't help then you mighht need to rush quickly up to McChord's flight medicine to have this done.  If you are really serious about this then you should go there and ask for a ground base controller's flight physical (we don't actually fly but that is the physical)... then have them do a 422 and get a copy of the physical for your package as well.

As to what the Air Force calls your vmpf... the Navy calls it your ompf (virtual or online personnel file).  If you still have access to npc online you can get this.  Other wise you will have to include what you have for them with your last three evals (if you have them) your last fitness test (if you can't find that the  see if a fitness monitor at the Navy reserve center in Portland would do a practice for you and sign off on how you are scoring.  

Of course letters of recommendation are always a good idea.

We announce from time to time up here and we will often hire (following a phone interview for those who live far away like yourself) people and then retrain them for this job.  

Now McChord also has this same opportunity with the WA Air National Guard.  We are the Alaska NORAD region and they are the Western Air Defense Sector (WADS).  For them though they want you to already have the schooling pretty much every time they hire a person for full time.  Easy to do though.  You can go ahead and join the WA Air National Guard from Portland and go into the 1C5 career field (Command and Control Battle Management Operator).  You will be a driller at first (almost all of their people start out that way)... the thing is that they continuously hire new E5's for active duty all the time... it is a big organization.

With these positions there is no PSCing down the road (you can apply to be transferred but it is never put on you).  You ca promote all the way up (E8 and E9 are very difficult to attain--- as they should be).

We work on a shift schedule-  0600-1800 15 days per month.  Every few weeks we flip to nights for about two weeks (1800-0600).

Fitness standards, education, desire to learn new qualifications on the operations floor, and ability to lead and mentor are very important here.

Dependency numbers for recruiting is very generous here (my cousin joined with a wife and 4 kids).  Base housing for active duty is available).

20 year retirement is available (HYT  isn't based on pay grade but rather performance so going past 20 is very doable).

A couple of videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIPf4IlSdFw

I work with a guy who was a CNS sailor and he is so glad that he found this for his career.  NCS didn't allow sailors to really have the career they wanted.  I am not a recruiter anymore but i hope that this info is helpful to you.

p.s. The current announcement for up here is ending in about a week so you would have to move quickly...  Don't worry though thse come open from time to time and for all I know McChord is better for you anyway.

I hope this helps you out...

james

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement