Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USMC Crew Chief to CG equivilant
Last Post 29 Aug 2014 05:26 AM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MLStock

--
25 Aug 2014 01:23 AM
    Thank you for reading.

Prior Marine have been out for 1 1/2 years. I was in the Marine Corps for 4 Years/ 4 Months. RE-1 Re-enlistment code and honorable discharge.

My MOS was a 6174 UH-1Y Helicopter Crewchief. I was an E-4 Corporal upon EAS.

My question was what is the job equivalent? I have been doing some research and all I see similar would be an AMT. Is it like the Army where you become a mechanic and try and compete to become aircrew or is there an actual job/rate where that is your job and mechanic on the side.

If there is a job, what is the Petty Officer school like, if it just 3 weeks of power points and exercise or is it going to be coasties with campaign covers yelling.

What are my chances of getting rotary wing and onto one of those h-60 jayhawks? 

I want this change because I want to save lives, not have a combat pace and focus on destruction.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Aug 2014 05:23 AM
    http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg1/attc/tra...ng/amt.asp I don't know if you saw this area. Probably, it sounds like you are doing the appropriate research. I can't truly tell you the comparison between the 2 but I know we have some well educated members that could help with that aspect.

As far as A School - You won't see Coasties in campaign covers but you will be expected to stand duty, there is exercise, and then extensive class work, not 3 weeks of power points. AMT A School is 5 months. Because that isn't a critical job you would have to go through Coast Guard boot camp, graduate an E-3 (I think) and then when qualified at your CG unit, you can put your name on the A School list to make Petty Officer.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Aug 2014 05:25 AM
    I'm sorry I meant to say this but watching the morning news, I just hit post...

Thank you for your service in the Marines. It is greatly appreciated. Best of luck. Speak to a recruiter, they will be your best source of information. But please also feel free to continue asking questions here, we are happy to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    25 Aug 2014 11:32 PM
    As for the job details, in Coast Guard aviation you are required to be basic aircrew qualified regardless of airframe. It is actually an RPQ requirement to compete for E-5. Training is tough mentally, it's 6 months now of learning the bare minimum of everything and then you will still be lost when you get your unit for about the first year. Like I said, you are required to achieve and maintain your air crew qualifications. You are a mechanic but also aircrew and they go hand in hand even though aircrew is a collateral. You are constantly busy but it's a good career. I'm currently an AET on the H60. We work in close quarters with the AMT side so there is a lot of cross over. For aviation maintenance there are are mechanics and electricians/electronics guys. Both of them do a lot of each other's jobs so it's never dull and you are always learning. If you have any other questions just shoot them my way.
    MLStock

--
    27 Aug 2014 04:23 PM
    Thank you,

I already understand what its like to be a mechanic and Crew Chief. The Marines and Navy work very similar and im sure the Navy and CG is similar.

I have already gone through all of the aircrew schools. I am sure il just have to do refreshers, the only school I should have to go to is a mechanic school for the specific air frame.

In the Marines we break down the shops to, Flightline, Airframes and then Avionics. The FL Mechanic and Crewchiefs are all apart of the Flightline shop, but they are different MOS's or jobs.

My question was that is there is only one AMT mechanic job and basically everyone competes to try and be aircrew. I got to pick the Aircrew job from the start, of course its not guaranteed because the school is long and they deem alot of people unfit, not smart enough or just don't recommend at the last flight training school.

What do you mean aircrew is a collateral? 
    MLStock

--
    27 Aug 2014 04:25 PM
    I dont think I have to go through bootcamp, Marines never have to do that again and it supersedes all others.

If I had to go through bootcamp and take a rank lower, that would just make no sense.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 Aug 2014 04:45 PM
    Some corrections.

If you get in, you WILL go through basic training again. I know that they tell Marines that they don't have to go through it again. Maybe that is true for the other branches, but it's not true for the CG. You would also come in as an E-3. While this may not make sense to you, it also makes no sense to the CG to bring you in at the grade of E-4. Your ASVAB scores would also need to qualify you to even be placed on the AMT school list, which you can do once you've completed boot camp and have been at your first duty station for at least 4 months.

You will not just go through refreshers. If you get in and manage to wait out the three plus years to go to AMT school, you will complete 20 weeks of AMT school. After that, you will be assigned to an air station. There, you will start your mechanic job. On duty days, you will also start to break-in to qualify as a flight mechanic. This process takes about six months from what I've seen. Once you are qualified, instead of breaking in, you will stand duty as the duty flight mechanic on the air frame you are assigned to, whether they choose for you to be fixed wing or rotary wing.

Your primary job is maintaining he engines and structure of the aircraft. You will do this just about every day. On duty days (usually every third or fourth day for a 24 hour period) you stay overnight and serve as duty flight mechanic or line crew.

There's no competition for aircrew spots. Both AMTs and AETs are required to qualify as aircrew. It is part of their duty.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    MLStock

--
    27 Aug 2014 04:52 PM
    OH wow, yea never mind then. To much of a step backwards. Thanks for all the info.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    29 Aug 2014 01:17 AM
    While it doesn't seem the OP is still interested, some correction info for anyone else who may be interested. For rotary wing, aircrew is not a "school". It is a long task of OJT with sign offs and oral standardization checks. You are given 6 months to become basic aircrew qualified. At that point you have to fly 4 hours per month minimum to keep your flight pay. Most of us fly more than that. As a BA you are not a flight billet on duty, you are linecrew. From there, depending on the air station, you will wait between 6 months and 2 years or more to become a flight mechanic. At big air stations i.e. Clearwater, Kodiak, Cape Cod, you will be lucky to become a flight mechanic in your first tour after A school. Smaller air stations will be quicker USUALLY. Again this is for rotary wing and more specifically the H60 side.

To the OP, no offense but you have no idea what its like to be an AMT and air crew or even a flight mechanic. Aircrew in itself can be a full time career path as could AMT, therefor aviators are busy all the time. Not to mention our AMT is only air frame specific, not shop specific. You need to know all of the maintenance practices for ALL parts of the aircraft plus you need to know all of your procedures for your aircrew position and maintain that qualification. Its not easy and no, the Navy nor Marine Corps do it the same way. They tend to be more specialized than we are. Plus you don't have a boot E-2 or E-3 working on aircraft in the Coast Guard. Minimum E-4 and right now the newest new guys still have 4 years of service under their belt just starting their aviation career. I'm not saying any one way of doing things is better than the other, just that its very different. You also would only be stepping one paygrade back. There is also a lot of chatter of AMT going critical and you might find that you are able to use that to your benefit. Something to keep in mind!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Aug 2014 05:26 AM
    The other services tend to forget we do a lot with less. They have one guy that changes lug nuts, another guy that changes the tire, another guy that puts air in the tires... We just build the whole car. Besides the fact we are awesome, that's one of the biggest things people coming from other services don't realize or don't appreciate. Our Coasties know a whole lot about a whole lot, we aren't so pinpoint specialized. Like you said cougar, there is no this way is better, that way is better, just a fact.

To the OP - sorry you feel that way and I'll leave my sentiment there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement