Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
My Journey to Becoming a Coastie!
Last Post 31 Aug 2014 07:27 AM by cmechan. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cmechan

--
30 Aug 2014 08:05 PM
    Hello Everyone! I have been lurking these forums for some time now and decided finally making an account would be a good idea I am 21 Years old and live in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts! I have always had a passion for everything public service.. whether it be military or fire/police/ems. In high school particularly my Junior year i became extremely interested in joining the Military. I spent hours upon hours researching, talking to vets of every service, talking to recruiters of every service and just being as much of a sponge as i could. I learned many great things about each service and learned what an important part each service plays in the U.S. Military. One service in particular stood out to me... the Coast Guard (which probably seems obvious to many since here i am on a CG forum ) Growing up in southeastern MA and being near the water i have always had an exposure to the coast guard.. more so than any other branch of the military.  I took the ASVAB test that year in High School and remember doing extremely well and the recruiter telling me i did really well (do not remember the score exactly).  My senior year i thought about enlisting right then and there but decided to wait until i was done with highscool (graduated in 2011). But things did not go as i had planned. After highschool i enrolled in an EMT course and became a certified EMT in November 2011 and began working as a full time EMT in 2012. This past January i very happily started Paramedic school and will be graduating from Paramedic school this coming October 11th. While school may finish in october i still have many hours of clinical time to complete and will probably not hold the certification until march of 2015. In the meantime during these few years as an EMT,  the military has always been on my mind.. specifically the coast guard. I have always wanted to serve my country and if you truly want it.. you come to find that sense will not leave your mind or your heart. This past February talking to one of my supervisors in the 911 service i work for (he is a 6 year coast guard vet and worked on helicopters as a mechanic) we got to talking since it was a slow night in terms of call volume. We literately talked for 6 hours about what he experienced and how it was one of the best decisions in his life. This really re-ignited the coast guard in my brain but i knew that at that moment i could only focus on one big thing at a time and at that moment it was doing well in paramedic school. Now that i am almost done with medic school i have decided to start training myself for the coast guard. Since i wont even begin the recruitment process until next year (late spring early summer at the earliest) i feel from now until then i should do everything i can to make my self a great candidate for the CG. I have no criminal history, no medical issues what so ever, no bad marks on my credit report, i like to think i am intelligent (not trying to sound arrogant)  but i do have one problem... it is a fixable problem but it is none the less a problem. I am 6 Feet tall and weigh 290 pounds... at my heaviest i weighed 323 pounds but  have got it down over the past few months and still have a long way to go. In sophmore year of Highschool i was a muscular 180 and started gaining weight my senior year on to about june of this year when i knew i needed a change. Luckily im young and and have that on my side. I know it is going to be a lot of hard work but i have all the faith in the world in myself and unwavering support from my friends and family! I am very happy to be apart of this community to learn as much as a i can and become a future member of the United States Coast Guard.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Aug 2014 11:20 PM
    Welcome...congrats on the weight lose to this point and soon to be completion of medic school! Always remember to stay focused on your goal and you shall achieve it!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    cmechan

--
    31 Aug 2014 07:27 AM
    Thank you very much Captkyguy!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement