Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCG Boot regulations
Last Post 08 Sep 2014 07:31 PM by Cooch. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mr_Wolfin8or

--
31 Aug 2014 10:39 AM
    To whom this may concern,

I am wondering if these are allowed in the Coast Guard based on their standards.

I ask because I wear minimalist footwear all the time. Except at work when I'm wearing heel-elevated boots I am extremely uncomfortable to the point where it becomes painful if I am in them too long. The second I get out of them and I am barefoot I feel better. These boots are the closest thing I could find that may be military friendly but also save my feet. If it helps I am heading to ET A-school in the near future and I would like to purchase some new boots, but I don't want someone to tell me I can not wear something that I just spent $100+ on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    31 Aug 2014 10:47 AM
    They won't work, they need to have a composite toe. You might need to get your feet checked out. You might be flat footed or something and they'll give u inserts for your boots to fix the pain
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    31 Aug 2014 01:06 PM
    Those boots won't work for a cutter but otherwise they would probably be ok and for ET A school I can't imagine anyone hassling you. I wore a pair of Corcoran jump boots without a safety toe in AET a school and no one gave me any grief about it. If you are on a cutter though it will definitely be a no-go. It would be in your best interest to bring it up to your doc though and have it documented just in case you have trouble with your feet later on.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    31 Aug 2014 10:10 PM
    We also had people wear similar boots in OS a school. I'd wait and ask your class advisor just to be safe.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    01 Sep 2014 07:50 AM
    You will definitely not be allowed to wear those at ET A school. If any of your instructors, class advisor, or any of the school chiefs saw that you weren't wearing composite toe boots (it's not that hard to point out), you will be told to remove them and wear ones that are in regs. ET school is held to a very high uniform standard and you would at a minimum be gigged on every uniform inspection which happens every thursday.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    02 Sep 2014 01:23 AM
    I am actually surprised at that rfail. We had the uniform inspections every Thursday as well, every third Thursday of the month in trops. Heck if we didn't have a fade without blocked hair (even f it was in regs) we got nailed for it. Each school is different, they may be more strict with the new schools but in mine we didn't really do anything that had any risk for a safety toe. Always good to ask before you go!
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Sep 2014 11:10 AM
    In AST "A" school our inspections were in trops every week and they had to be pretty darn perfect or we would get some extra training. From the looks of the other aviation schools, they weren't as serious but I didn't hear any of their conversations about inspections. I'd say it's best to follow the regs exactly as they are stated and you have nothing to worry about.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    05 Sep 2014 09:06 PM
    I am not sure why anyone would be advocating not following regulations and potentially putting others in danger, on the chance they might not be caught. Maybe your instructors assumed that you were professional and mature enough not to have to go around stomping on your toes to make sure you were adequately protected. If you have an issue wearing required uniform items, go to the doctor and get it figured out. If as an E-3/E-4 you think you should be deciding what regulations are relevant to you and deserve to be followed or not, it might be time to find a new career.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    07 Sep 2014 12:21 AM
    JBjunior, the uniform manual states "Safety boots must be worn while performing work that requires protection of the feet." There is also a section that gives individual commands authorization to allow other uniform items. Typically these are for unit shirts, caps, etc. It also allows you to bypass safety boots for boat shoes, which down protect anything. I was advised, as was our class, to get a pair of Corcoran boots for inspections and keep them top notch as they WERE authorized by the command in a training environment because there was no need for a safety toe during our A school. I also advised the OP to go talk to his doc. So rather than insulting me and telling me it is time to find a new career, perhaps you should familiarize yourself with it more in depth. What boots I wore during A school is hardly grounds for determining my career path, that is just a little ridiculous in that post.
    Mr_Wolfin8or

--
    07 Sep 2014 04:30 PM
    Thank you for all the responses that were helpful. Not sure why there is so much drama on forums.
    Thank you ejhcougar for answering my question and not disecting it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    07 Sep 2014 07:33 PM
    Actually the manual says in the required sea bag items that you are to have "boots, safety (composite toe)". Mr_wolfin8or, don't even risk it unless you are dying to spendsome extra cash because you will be expected to follow the uniform manual's regs and you will get a thorough sea bag inspection before you graduate A school. Don't get a reputation in A school for ignoring orders or not having the required items. Draw it out long enough, and you will first get negative SIF's - think trackers, except they will affect your standing in the class rank when it comes time for the billet selection. One negative sif can easily ruin your chances at getting the billet you want. Still refuse to do it? You get a negative page 7. Those will shoot you right down the list and they do give them out. Lastly... Don't be "that guy". I don't want to work with a fellow ET who doesn't want to follow the same rules as everyone else. I am sure you can find boots that are comfortable and still within regs.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    07 Sep 2014 08:20 PM
    Ejhcougar, the part of the manual you are referring to is in the context of wearing safety toe boots vs. Boat shoes or low quarters (in trops or bravos), or running shoes for medical reasons. The only authorized footwear for ODUs are safety toe boots, and boat shoes/running shoes when authorized in certain circumstances. Nowhere does it say in the manual that you are authorized to be special and different from basically every single other sailor in the entire coast guard.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    08 Sep 2014 12:12 AM
    I don't have the time at the moment but I will find the reg authorizing commands to approve uniform items for special use, i.e. a training environment. Again, it isn't that I get to be "special". It was that at MY A school, a safety toe wasn't required and other types of boots were authorized. From the beginning I was just simply surprised that it was different for a different school, I didn't have an issue with it. Don't tell me I was out of regs, I wasn't. Also don't tell me I was "special" because I certainly wasn't the only one there who chose to go with a dress boot for inspection purposes. I've worn safety toe boots as directed at every unit, but underway and now on the hangar deck. I'm not fresh out of basic, nor am I above the rules. I follow the regs to the letter, don't try to belittle me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    08 Sep 2014 02:05 AM
    So we went from:

"Those boots won't work for a cutter but otherwise they would probably be ok and for ET A school I can't imagine anyone hassling you. I wore a pair of Corcoran jump boots without a safety toe in AET a school and no one gave me any grief about it. If you are on a cutter though it will definitely be a no-go. It would be in your best interest to bring it up to your doc though and have it documented just in case you have trouble with your feet later on."

To:

"I don't have the time at the moment but I will find the reg authorizing commands to approve uniform items for special use, i.e. a training environment. Again, it isn't that I get to be "special". It was that at MY A school, a safety toe wasn't required and other types of boots were authorized. From the beginning I was just simply surprised that it was different for a different school, I didn't have an issue with it. Don't tell me I was out of regs, I wasn't. Also don't tell me I was "special" because I certainly wasn't the only one there who chose to go with a dress boot for inspection purposes. I've worn safety toe boots as directed at every unit, but underway and now on the hangar deck. I'm not fresh out of basic, nor am I above the rules. I follow the regs to the letter, don't try to belittle me."

Which one was it? Did you "not get grief" about it or were they authorized by the Commanding Officer?

The only authorized boots for the ODU are 8-10" composite toe black boots. You are right that it has the portion in 1020.6(series) about needing it for safety and does allow for the use of boat shoes when it is called for (usually certain boardings), where in the manual does it state that any other boots are allowed with the ODU?

I have been at many different types of units and a safety toe has always been required, although there are usually people that attempt to justify why they specifically don't need it because of the nature of their work.

Also, this is from a few uniform boards ago but I am pretty sure nothing has changed:

" RESULTS OF UNIFORM BOARD NO. 44 EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, INCLUDE:
        A. THE HOT WEATHER UNIFORM IS NO LONGER AUTHORIZED. LONG ODU
    TROUSERS AND 8-10 INCH NON-MARKING SAFETY BOOTS ARE REQUIRED FOR
    SAFETY REASONS AT ALL TIMES. COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS, AND
    OFFICERS IN CHARGE ARE AUTHORIZED TO ALLOW REMOVAL OF THE ODU BLOUSE
    WHEN PERSONNEL ARE ENGAGED IN DEMANDING, PROLONGED OPERATIONS IN HIGH
    TEMPERATURES. IN ALL CASES, THE COAST GUARD DARK BLUE CREW NECK
    T-SHIRT SHALL BE WORN EMBROIDERED WITH THE WORDS U.S. COAST GUARD
    ACROSS THE FRONT LEFT CHEST IN WHITE 3/4 INCH TALL BLOCK-STYLE
    LETTERS. THIS RELAXED ODU WEAR IS NOT INTENDED FOR ROUTINE WEAR IN
    THE OFFICE ENVIRONMENT OR PUBLIC. IT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WHILE
    COMMUTING TO AND FROM WORK, INCLUDING IN PRIVATE VEHICLES.  FOR USCG
    AUX MEMBERS, REFERENCE (A) APPLIES.
        B.  REFERENCE (C) AUTHORIZES WEARING OF BROWN DECK SHOES AS
    BOARDING TEAM ORGANIZATIONAL CLOTHING FOR CERTAIN BOARDING
    OPERATIONS. BROWN DECK SHOES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH THE
    UNIFORM OF THE DAY OTHER THAN DURING ACTUAL BOARDING OPERATIONS AS
    DESCRIBED IN REFERENCE (C)."
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    08 Sep 2014 06:16 PM
    When in doubt, follow the manual. You can never be wrong that way. End of story. I can't believe the amount of drama this has generated. Even the OP (who I'm guessing is very early in his CG career), picked up on it. Is this the face of the CG that we want junior enlisted or the public to see? I think not.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Sep 2014 07:31 PM
    Posted By CPORJM on 08 Sep 2014 06:16 PM
    When in doubt, follow the manual. You can never be wrong that way. End of story. I can't believe the amount of drama this has generated. Even the OP (who I'm guessing is very early in his CG career), picked up on it. Is this the face of the CG that we want junior enlisted or the public to see? I think not.

+1 Chief

Having a question about a regulation is perfectly fine. Having a bad attitude when someone gives you an answer is insubordinate and just plain rude. We are professionals here, and should conduct ourselves accordingly. 
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement