Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BF left for boot camp
Last Post 09 Sep 2014 09:04 AM by Smiley1027. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Smiley1027

--
08 Sep 2014 10:44 AM
    Yesterday my boyfriend flew to Idaho to meet with his recruiter and later today he will be flying to Cape May to start boot camp tomorrow. Saying good-bye to him was one of the hardest things I have done. I was able to go with him and his parents to the airport which was really nice. What made saying good-bye harder was the fact that my parents told me I had to break up with him before he left. They have never really enjoyed me dating him. They told me I had to choose him or my educational future(college since I am a senior in high school). I didn't see why I couldn't do both, so I didn't actually break up with him, but that is what my parents think. When he graduates from boot camp and is home for those few days, things will be difficult for us being together since my parents think we broke up. They don't even want me sending him letters while he is away. They were trying to make me make a decision that I couldn't make. They are quite strict parents and I love them, but I can't believe they tried to make me do this. I feel like our time apart while he is at boot camp will be good for us. Yesterday was a really hard day, but today is a lot better. I feel like I can be strong about this and I can still be happy and live normally(which I plan on doing). I don't have many things other than school to distract me but I know I can do this. I admire all of the spouses who have been through being apart for so long. I keep telling myself to just smile and be happy because that is what my boyfriend would want. They may say it's not just 8 weeks, but I feel like telling myself that it is only 8 weeks helps, because that isn't that long of time. It's only about 60days. The days will drag but the weeks will fly. I can and will get through this. Everything will be ok.

ok, now I have a few questions.
    My boyfriend said that he has a hole in his tooth and that may make him have to be there an extra week. Is that true that he might be on medical holding or something?
    When is the soonest I can send him a letter? Could I send one even before this Friday when he finds out his company, or is it better to wait?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Sep 2014 10:25 PM
    You can send a letter as early as today if you like.

I doubt he will be on medical hold. They can probably fix any dental problems during training.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Sep 2014 12:56 AM
    In some aspects, you have a very mature approach to this. In others, you do not. I'm not saying your parents are 100% correct but you should listen to them. Not necessarily about breaking up but WHY they feel you should. Use that level of maturity that slips in there and ask them to discuss this with you like an adult. There may be a very valid reason why they feel this way. But then just saying break up or else and you just saying I'll tell them i did but won't, will solve nothing. It could be their fear you are too young to put all your eggs in this young man's basket. They might see something you don't that sends up a red flag. They may be worried in 9 weeks, you'll run off to whatever station he gets and marry him (you wouldn't be the first girl to do that).

So instead of trying to fool your parents, something that rarely works anyway, talk to them. The answers might surprise you. You also might surprise them if you speak like a young lady with a valid view point and not a disobeying child. Really, you'll be amazed how far speaking and listening go.

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Smiley1027

--
    09 Sep 2014 08:07 AM
    Old Guard2: I have tried talking to my parents about it, but it is always one sided. They never want to hear my side of anything. They are stuck in what they believe. They have been like this since my bf asked for permission to date me 2 years ago when I was 16 (the rule in my family was you can date when you're 17). They hardly wanted to even see my boyfriend. He was never allowed to even hang out at my house. I think a lot it has to do with everything that has happened with my older siblings(I am the youngest of 6). A few of them have let a bf/gf get in the way of them finishing college. I would never run off to get married once he gets stationed. I graduate from high school in May, I don't want to transfer schools at this point. I didn't want to transfer when my parents said I could go to a school 10 miles away if I had wanted to. I live in a small community so I have been with the majority of my class since kindergarten. Even after I graduate, I do not plan on moving to be with my bf. I plan on going to college and getting my BSN because if my bf and I were to break up, I wouldn't want to be in a new place away from family and not be able to support myself.

Cooch: Thank you for answering my questions
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Sep 2014 08:21 AM
    That's what I mean about the level of maturity. That's a great answer. You are approaching this in a healthy manner as far as make sure you have you covered first. Give your parents some time. It is hard when you see your children making mistakes, even if only the parent thinks it is a mistake. You are also young. You are still in high school. They should consider that young high school romances typically do not work out. At the same time if it does, they have wasted precious time getting to know him.

This will work itself out one way or another. But for right now, your parents house, your parents rules. That is just the way it is. I wouldn't try hiding things from them. If you do, WHEN (not if) but WHEN they find out, they will be hurt, disappointed, they will not trust you. You open yourself to a world of unhappiness. Been there done that as a kid. Raised a kid that tried things no matter how many times I told him everything you think you are trying for the first time ever, I've already done 3 times at least. At 25 he now thinks I'm the smartest mom ever... at 17, 18... he probably thought I didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Smiley1027

--
    09 Sep 2014 09:04 AM
    I do not enjoy hiding this from them, but I don't really see what option I really have when they tell me that if I didn't break up with him they wouldn't sing for college (for the school I plan on attending, you need to have a parent or legal guardian sign before you can even start going to school there. It doesn't matter that I am already 18). I feel like I can do both and everything will work out. They don't have to worry about my bf right now because he is about 1,100 miles away. I understand that the older someone is, the wiser they are. My parents are really wise about many things. Maybe things won't work out for me and my bf, but I also feel like if this is a mistake that I'm making, I need to make it now rather than later. I need to make some mistakes and learn from them. What does it hurt to have a bf? My parents met when they were 17 and only dated each other. They are an example of a high school relationship working out. I know that's not always the case (hardly ever) but I want to experience the life of a teenager. Due to family circumstances, I feel that I have had to grow up faster than most kids my age. I also don't do the typical high school things like be in sports or extra curricular activities, or have a job during the school year because I am not allowed to. I don't see how me having a bf is hurting them or me right now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement