Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Pimp my rack
Last Post 12 Sep 2014 07:05 AM by sardaddy. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
rfail1988

--
09 Sep 2014 06:26 PM
    Just wondering what kinds of things everyone does to make shipboard life more comfortable while away from home. I did a bunch of things to my rack that I also wanted to share for the good of all, but I bet there are a bunch of little things that make shipboard life more bearable that I haven't thought of either.

For my rack, I used 3M dual lock fasteners and put a small screen TV in front of my face and hooked it up to my xbox, so I can play or watch movies in my rack (only good for 2-high racks though). I also got sheets sized specifically for racks from navysheets.com, and it's easy to make my rack since the fitted and flat sheet are sewn together at the bottom.

What other little things have you done or seen to "pimp your rack"? 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    09 Sep 2014 08:47 PM
    I've seen people put like Christmas lights in them, I had a full sized fan hanging somehow from the over for noise control while I slept, and then a tv, some sort of mount for my MacBook, anddd a mini locker for a bunch of books I never read. A lot of people did posters and such. I had like two memory foams. I loved my rack. I watched all seasons of lost, and just about every tv show possible.

Bottom rack sucks. We had nice berthing though because our patrols were about 6 months long. The command was pretty lenient on room design. Except for stickers. No stickers were allowed
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    10 Sep 2014 05:06 AM
    On this note, what do you underway folks like for care packages?
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Sep 2014 05:51 AM
    Colin ordered special rack curtains, they were nice, his name embroidered, extra pockets. He loved those. He was in a 3 rack set up then, a 2 rack now so I don't think he uses them because they don't fit. They also decided in his berthing area to do a contest. Who could decorate the best. He had all Harley Davidson stuff... sheets, throw pillows, he put up some goofy accent curtain. He loved being top bunk in the 3 rack. He had the pipes above him so he could use ropes to hang small things, fan, power cords that type of thing. He also used 2 sided Velcro to mount his laptop. Now he has a TV, an Xbox in his rack. It is a little (very little) mini home. You are home half the year but you are gone half the year... Try to make it as comfortable as you can. Within command regs of course.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 Sep 2014 11:09 AM
    The guys tend to like appropriate photos of their wives, a bunch of beef jerky, maybe some movies or shows on a flash drive, mmmmmm I dunno.

When he's underway there like a text function he can do on his email. It would be like your phone number and then @att.com that helped a lot of people once we found out about it
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Sep 2014 11:44 AM
    Send a text from your phone to an e-mail address, it's pretty simple.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Sep 2014 12:49 PM
    I have also emailed Scott's phone so it comes through his text message. 1234567890@tmomail.net Looks just like a text but it comes from my email. He replies and it comes to my email instead of my phone. But for him it is in the text messaging feature.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    rfail1988

--
    11 Sep 2014 12:49 PM
    the memory foam idea is a good one, especially for 2-high racks. I also put in a couple sticky press-lights for the rack lockers, so I can see without disturbing anyone else. Bells, I have no idea how you got all those things in/around your rack but WOW thats a lot of stuff! Now I want to figure out how to mount a (mini) fan in my rack, lol.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    11 Sep 2014 02:31 PM
    lol i dont know either. i used a bunch of line for the fan and just hanged it from the overhead
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    12 Sep 2014 07:05 AM
    I know a Chief who was so nice that he discreetly installed a ball bearing into one of his JOs racks at no charge. The JO in question did not appreciate the fine gesture though. He eventually disassmbled his entire bunk to remove said bearing because "it was driving me insane in anything but calm seas." Some people just can't accept a gift.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement