Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
introduction
Last Post 24 Sep 2014 04:33 PM by Old Guard2. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Seminole

--
24 Sep 2014 09:57 AM
    I'm Josh, I'm from Panama City Beach, Florida and I will be shipping off for Cape May very soon. Boot camp date is October, 7th and I am so excited, nervous, and ready all at the same time. Have been studying required knowledge like its going out of style. Recently discovered these forums and have been amazed at how much information I have been able to learn from the boot camp questions. Thanks for such a awesome forum!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    24 Sep 2014 10:14 AM
    Welcome! These forums are great, they sure helped me out a lot when I was heading off to boot camp. I recently graduated so if you have any questions let me know. Its good your hitting the required knowledge, that will go a long way, try and get the rates and ranks down as well as the stuff in the helmsman.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Seminole

--
    24 Sep 2014 10:23 AM
    How was you're boot camp experience? I've been counting down days for forever can't believe its almost here!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    EvenKeel

--
    24 Sep 2014 11:32 AM
    That is a good question, I could write a book on my experiences, but I’ll try to keep it short. When I was in the last few days of week 8 my lead Company Commander sat down with us and explained that it will be impossible to explain boot camp to our friends and family, you have to have gone through it yourself to understand. That being said I’ll do what I can to explain my experiences, understand that every company and every individual has a different experience.

The first week is called indoc week. Indoc week essentially sets you up with all the required gear that you need uniforms, haircut, and such. They also teach you the basic rules that you need to follow during your time at Cape May. If you mess up on these rules when you forum up with your company you will sweat, a lot. Something that is difficult for some people is always standing or sitting at the position of attention. It starts to become painful and some people would "rest", don't do that. When you are going through indoc week you will think that it’s difficult and you will be stressed and you will want to go home. Try to realize that indoc week is easier than the weeks to come, sure it’s more stressful but you aren't getting remedials or ITed yet...
    Then I formed with my company. This was a very difficult time, lots of time drills, remedials, IT, sweat, pain, sweat, pain. When I say pain I'm referring to "positions of pain", they have lots of them but my least favorite is holding your full canteen in front of you with locked arms for 45 minutes. It doesn't sound that bad but just wait... They have lots of remedials to make you sweat, setting your canteen on the deck and picking it back up at a fast pace for 45 minutes, sniper position, right facing for an hour, and much more. I was soaked to the bone in sweat, literally every article of clothing soaked. There were some remedials where the floor would have to be moped because there was an 1/8 inch of sweat, the CCs loved that. 
    I’m not saying all this to scare you or anything, just understand that anyone can make it through and don't give up! It gets easier every week. There is a saying at boot camp, chow, chow, chow, chewy bar. Its advice that is given to you at the beginning and I lived by it. Don't think too far ahead, just think "ok if I can make it to chow I’ll be good." Or "now all I have to do is make it to chewy bars and the day is done."
    Make sure you get as many people as you can to write letters. At first I thought I would not need the distraction of letters but it’s pretty much the only form of normal human communication and a letter is like a breath of fresh air before you hit the rack.
    My number one goal for the first few weeks was to show my CCs that I was squared away, this involves always sounding off as loud as possible, answering all required knowledge questions correctly and without hesitation, and correctly communicating with the CC's. I did this well so I was hired as the company yeomen. If you get a job like yeomen or squad leader the CCs are basically telling you that they think you can handle more stress. Yeomen diffidently added a lot of stress after a couple of weeks I got fired and sent to ramp. Part of me was happy because I did not have the added stress but the other part was sad because I knew I disappointed my CC's and especially my lead CC. Don’t stress too much if you get fired from a job, a lot of times the CCs will fire you to see how you will deal with failure.
    The weeks to follow sucked, but they got better and the CCs started to really have an impact on the way I did things. Each of my company commanders had pride in everything that they did and I wanted to be like them. There I was a 23 year old adult and when I looked at them I felt like I was a kid again, I felt like I needed to “grow up and be just like them one day.” When week 8 rolled around, I was actually enjoying my time, well enjoying it as much as possible. We still had a few days of remedial and IT and challenges to overcome but the CCs were talking to us like we were actually worth something and it really showed how much they cared about our success. I worked hard for my bachelor’s degree, it took me over 4 years, but my college graduation was nothing compared to graduation day from Cape May. I felt so accomplished and I felt so much pride as a new Coastie.

Now I’m sitting in the barracks, on stand down, getting ready to go underway for months. Every day I think about my experiences at Cape May and when I run into a situation I find myself asking myself what one of my CCs would do if they were in my position. I am excited just to be in the Coast Guard, and I hope the excitement never fades.
    "You can't run from the wind. You trim your sails, face the music, and keep going." - Captain Sheldon, White Squall
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    24 Sep 2014 01:32 PM
    Welcome and enjoy your new life changing journey Seminole!

That sounds like an excellent experience EvenKeel...one you will reflect on your whole career and maybe longer. Enjoy your underway time and Godspeed!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Sep 2014 04:33 PM
    Welcome aboard Seminole. I hope you have a great experience. Remember to get your physical level up as well. You need to be able to pass that PT test. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We are more than happy to help, as you can plainly see by Keel's response. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement