Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Moving pets
Last Post 07 Oct 2014 03:01 PM by Bells. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ashleycotnoir

--
06 Oct 2014 12:49 PM
    Hello, new here!

My husband is entering his fourth week of bootcamp, so expecting to hear his orders next week! I'm trying to plan ahead as much as I can at this point. Does anyone have any experience shipping pets? Any recommendations? I will be shipping two cats. (Given the location is far enough away where driving them isn't an option.)

Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    06 Oct 2014 01:05 PM
    I drove with my dog across country twice. I think most people drive with their pets. I'd say just be careful with shipping and do your research.
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    06 Oct 2014 01:08 PM
    Yeah I'm planning on driving with my dog. The cats I feel would be too much. Even a quick trip in the car with them is a nightmare, nevermind the litter box situation. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations with shipping services.
    Astlust

--
    06 Oct 2014 01:52 PM
    Drove from Connecticut to Florida with a cat, a dog, and car full of stuff. Cats are usually pretty chill while driving. It would be more traumatic for a cat to ship them out then too just drive with..and i feel like it'd be risky sending your pet, never know if there will be a delay, or you break down. My personal opinion.
    Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better. ~Jim Rohn
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    06 Oct 2014 02:02 PM
    Did you keep a litter box in your car for them?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Oct 2014 02:38 PM
    I drove from NJ to Texas with 2 dogs and 2 cats. Then a couple of years later I drove from Texas to Wisconsin with 3 cats and 3 dogs. I kept the cats in their cages while in the cars. I don't need them getting under my feet, or scooching into a spot that I don't know where they are, open the door... and ZING they're out and gone. When we would stop for the night, I had disposable litter pans, I would put 2 scoops of litter and let them do what they needed to for the night. Otherwise, they were just fine, held it just fine, not a problem. Every morning, throw away the cardboard disposable pan and get on the road again. Texas to Wisconsin was a one night stay. NJ to Texas was a few nights, but that was because my dad was driving with us and he couldn't go for as long a stretch.

I would not ship a cat. Too much risk putting them in someone else's care and control if they are upset enough as it is. At least with me, I can talk to them, put my fingers through the cage, they have the dogs with them, they know their world isn't 100% changed. We shipped our dog once. We were going from New Orleans to Valdez, Alaska. We took the dog to NJ with us, left her with my parents and we drove cross country. About 27 days later my parents put her on a plane and flew her to Seattle. We picked her up, she flew the rest of the way to Alaska with us. But she was an experienced flyer, having done it at least 6 times already. It was also a direct flight... my fathers hands to mine, she never knew she was alone on the plane. You can't drive anywhere fast enough to ship a cat and arrive that night to pick it up. Take the cats in the car, they'll be fine. They'll be less miserable with you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Oct 2014 02:40 PM
    And if they are miserable, that's pet ownership and our responsibility to our babies. No one would take my cats. Nope, not happening. I would rather listen to them meow for 1,000 miles and know they are safe then wonder for 5 minutes.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    06 Oct 2014 03:20 PM
    That actually doesn't seem too bad. You're right I think they would rather be with us miserable then in a strange place. Thanks for the tips!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Oct 2014 06:58 PM
    Feel free to ask any questions. We'll offer our best advice. If it helps, great. If not, well at least you can hear what we have to say and go from there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    07 Oct 2014 08:00 AM
    My son drove from Chicago to Staten Island with a dog and THREE cats. Yowling and barking the entire way! He said it was a LONG two days, but worth the effort. His wife enjoyed a nice serene drive, dog and cat free in her car. Red Roof Inn is a great place to stay with pets. We have driven many miles with two dogs and always stayed at Red Roof. They have a very liberal pet policy.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Oct 2014 03:01 PM
    I agree, the only time I would ship animals is if you are going to Hawaii or somewhere else similar. They have to be up to date on all of their vet needs, yada yada yada.

A few pet travel agencies will rip you off and don't know all the rules for each place. We had two different members have two very different experiences with pet agencies. One did all of the work for them and costed about 800$ and the other did none of the work and cost 2200 and the dang animal was supposedly flying first class. YA RIGHT. Have you ever seen a crate sitting in a seat in first class. No way.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement