Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Week 5 phone call?
Last Post 30 Oct 2014 08:16 PM by ebee. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ehopkin4

--
15 Oct 2014 10:15 AM
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a common time frame that I should expect a phone call during week five. I'm super excited to hear my fiancé's orders and to hear his voice! I would hate to miss it... What have your experiences been?

Thanks!
    Apollo

--
    15 Oct 2014 02:34 PM
    I'm not sure how it is for all companies, but we were allowed to call until we got ahold of our family member. Most of the time, the CCs will try to announce your billets in a special way, because of that, they like to pick a time when the majority of the company will be present. Therefore, there isn't always a specific time during week 5 when they make the announcements. Once they announce, they will give everyone some time to research your unit, make your 5 minute phone call, and get ahold of your future supervisor. I remember several people couldn't get a hold of their family during the first 3 times we were given a chance, so they got to call at night, in hopes their loved ones would be off work.
    ehopkin4

--
    15 Oct 2014 02:52 PM
    This helps a lot! I've got a busy week of school ahead of me, so I'm hoping he will call in the afternoon/evening.Thanks for your help.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    15 Oct 2014 04:25 PM
    When my son made his call [almost 5 years ago] it was the beginning of the fb pages that parents made up for each company. Our group of parents posted constantly and the CC found out about our group and stalked it! We quickly learned not to write anything personal about our recruits! When it came time for the calls I missed 2 from my son [timing is everything] so I went on the fb page where all the other parents were "talking" about their kids assignements and wrote how I hoped my son would call my cell phone on Sunday morning when I would be available blah blah blah. Sure enough the CC had my son make the call to my cell on Sunday morning. LOL! As a parents group we were among the first [thanks to social media] to have a meet and greet and dinner among the parents the night before graduation, had t shirts made to wear to graduation [and one parent actually hauled them all the way from Hawaii to get them to Cape May!] and still to this day talk to each other. Gosh that was a great time we shared and we are all so proud of our coasties!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Oct 2014 06:11 PM
    If at all possible, let your professors know what call you are waiting on. If he calls, maybe they'll let you step out of class to take the call. Calls can start as early as Wednesday or Thursday and last until Sunday night, even Monday. Good luck the calls are really exciting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    17 Oct 2014 07:49 AM
    Is the phone call scripted? My friends brother was in the marines and his calls home were scripted. Wondering if it's the same for the coast guard
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Oct 2014 08:17 AM
    No, they aren't scripted. They are monitored. But they are able to talk freely, within guidelines.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    18 Oct 2014 11:06 PM
    Got my call tonight! We are going to Garibaldi, Oregon. Exciting!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Oct 2014 09:12 AM
    Love, love, love the coast of Oregon. Congratulations. If you were looking for nightlife, you won't find that. But it is a gorgeous location.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    19 Oct 2014 11:37 AM
    Good to hear! Not much of a nightlife kind of girl so I should be ok! It seems like an extremely small town. Having a hard time finding much info on the area. He didn't mention if we would be living on the economy or government housing so I've been looking at apartments in the area just in case. Doesn't seem like theres a lot of options there!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Oct 2014 03:17 PM
    I do believe you will be economy bound. I think apartments might be tough. But you could probably find a home to rent. Check Craigslist, Zillow, there are a few others. You might want to look for a Facebook group, Coasties on the move. Maybe you'll be able to find someone leaving and you slide into their place.... You'll have time to find something when you get there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    19 Oct 2014 06:56 PM
    I believe STA TB does have government housing. But it is limited. I hope he has his sea-legs. Winter weather is rough out here. Summer is crazy busy. If he wants SAR, he's going to get more than he bargained for.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Ashleycotnoir

--
    19 Oct 2014 08:23 PM
    This will be his first placement fresh out of boot. I saw some pictures online of the boats they use and the water looks insane. It made me a bit nervous. We are from RI and the water is nothing like that here. Do nonrates usually go on boats like that right away or do they have to get qualified to do so?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    20 Oct 2014 12:39 AM
    In order to get qualified, they have to go out on the boats. But trust me, there are a lot of safety rules in place. I've been out on the boats a few times myself, and I'm not remotely qualified lol. It can be a lot of fun too. But when he gets there, he will be quite busy. His first task will be getting communcations watch qualified - aka learning how to talk on the radio. Then he works on getting boat crew qualified. Someone from a small boat station can tell you more about that process. However, Tillamook is a nice little area. Don't be afraid to go explore the coast a bit. Lots of interesting things to do and see. Unfortunately, we are starting to get our "winter" storms here now so it's going to be gray and rainy and windy until sometime in the spring. Not that we let all that keep us inside. There is no such thing as bed weather, just bad clothes. Be sure to buy some rain proof jackets.

Try looking for Tillamook, Oregon. They are right next door and more info is available about that area. Lots of cows! Which means you get yummy Tillamook Cheese and Ice Cream - all quite delicious might I add. Blue Heron makes awesome brie.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Oct 2014 06:06 AM
    There is housing there? I'm surprised. When we were taking pictures at the station, it didn't look nearly large enough to have housing. But it may have been away from the base.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    20 Oct 2014 09:02 AM
    There are barracks and I think a few homes. Since the area is small, there is some housing. But if its available and to whom I don't know.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    20 Oct 2014 09:06 AM
    If you call the Sector Columbia River Housing Officer he might be able to tell you. (And yep, 9 homes).

http://www.uscg.mil/d13/sectcolrvr/...ousing.asp
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Oct 2014 10:04 AM
    Very interesting!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Oct 2014 11:20 AM
    Do nonrates usually go on boats like that right away or do they have to get qualified to do so?

It's in his best interest to be out on the boats as often as possible once he settles in. The break-in package for boat crew is pretty lengthy. Expect him to be pretty stressed out for the first 6 months. Eventually, things will settle down and it'll just be another Tuesday on duty which he will be standing 2 on 2 off with sliding weekends.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    ehopkin4

--
    26 Oct 2014 08:40 PM
    Finally got my call at 8:42 tonight! We're going to Tybee Island, GA! I couldn't be happier!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    26 Oct 2014 09:43 PM
    Congratulations!! Glad that you are excited about it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    30 Oct 2014 08:16 PM
    Posted By magmam on 15 Oct 2014 04:25 PM
    When my son made his call [almost 5 years ago] it was the beginning of the fb pages that parents made up for each company. Our group of parents posted constantly and the CC found out about our group and stalked it! We quickly learned not to write anything personal about our recruits! When it came time for the calls I missed 2 from my son [timing is everything] so I went on the fb page where all the other parents were "talking" about their kids assignements and wrote how I hoped my son would call my cell phone on Sunday morning when I would be available blah blah blah. Sure enough the CC had my son make the call to my cell on Sunday morning. LOL! As a parents group we were among the first [thanks to social media] to have a meet and greet and dinner among the parents the night before graduation, had t shirts made to wear to graduation [and one parent actually hauled them all the way from Hawaii to get them to Cape May!] and still to this day talk to each other. Gosh that was a great time we shared and we are all so proud of our coasties!

LOL, it took our company until on base liberty to realize this was how our CC was getting inside info. For example, one day out of nowhere he told one girl she was going to a cutter, not a base (or the opposite, I don't remember), and she was just like....ok....

Turns out she had written home to her mom and wasn't sure and her mom had posted something in the group about it.

He also said something to one kid about the kid's dad being a Sheriff.

TUrns out our CC's wife was part of the Facebook group.

Also there were a few people not present when they told us where we were all going. Two girls were getting their wisdom teeth taken out and didn't find out where they were going until a few days after we did.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement