Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MSRT
Last Post 29 Oct 2014 07:27 AM by Gears. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HopefulGuy

--
17 Oct 2014 02:40 AM
    Hello everyone. I have a strong interest in special operation units. I've been deciding on which branch to join based on which job fits me best. There's a lot of information out there about DOD units but information on MSRT is hard to come by.

I know I can't try out for it directly like in other branches with their own similar teams. How would I best prepare myself and increase my chances for selection somewhere far down the road? My fitness level is respectable and I know that helps in general. Would speaking foreign languages help? (Specifically Spanish and Arabic). I last heard they increased the tours on these teams to 6 years. Is there any information on whether it'll eventually become a permanent assignment for those who desire it? 

Just fishing for more information. I do prefer the Coast Guard over the other branches because I respect it's balance between life saving duties, warfare duties, and the endless other objectives it's been tasked with. And something tells me I would feel more at home in this branch. 

For me my interest would be in the LE assignments. I know the MSRT just came back from a 5 month deployment overseas. Does anyone know where I can keep up with news about this unit? 

It saddens me there's no information about the work these guys are doing. I've seen post by MSRT members on SOCNET alluding to their hopes of receiving recognition for their abilities. And I've also seen a lot of Coasties that are a part of "big coast guard" knocking the unit and downplaying the need for it. It seems to me a little PR would help so I'm hoping there's some kind of information source out there that I've missed. 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Oct 2014 05:35 AM
    I doubt there will EVER be a permanent station in the military anywhere. Extended, possibly, permanent, no. As far as what you can do, really not much. If the billet is open, put your name down for it. If it isn't, well it just isn't. I do believe the foreign languages might help. But again, if the billet isn't open when you are transferring, it just isn't open.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    zachw88

--
    17 Oct 2014 10:07 AM
    We just had the MSRT and two MSST's as picks on our pick list (BM school). So if you're interested in such things consider this rate.
    Champman555

--
    17 Oct 2014 05:11 PM
    Im in the BM class behind Zachw88 and we had one MSRT pick. Just be sure if you want to go to a MSST/MSRT as a BM be as physically fit as you could ever imagine then be even more fit then that. Then from the start of class talk about how thats all you wanna do. Be a top performer in class as far as grades go and you will undoubtedly get the MSST or MSRT pick if you go BM even if there is only one.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    18 Oct 2014 06:58 AM
    Before you enlist and jump on the BM bandwagon keep in mind MSSTs and MSRTs are very specific units. BMs are at every CG unit. You MIGHT have an opportunity to go to an MSRT/MSST, but you're more likely to end up on a cutter or at a small boat station.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    HopefulGuy

--
    18 Oct 2014 05:32 PM
    Thank you for the responses everyone. I'm very appreciative for the information.

I heard you loud and clear Old Guard, if the billet ain't open it ain't open. But I do plan on staying in the CG for a very long time. (If it's a good fit of course.)

About BM, I haven't read too much into that rate but I will do so now. I will keep in mind Gears information that it'll more likely land me on a cutter (which is all good) but more importantly I heard there's a push to make these teams almost exclusively ME rates.

I know I won't be the last person to ask about this so I'll include two links I've discovered -

http://www.cgtle.org/ and the link to their FB page is on the site.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Oct 2014 05:56 PM
    Research is an excellent thing. Keep doing that and talking to people, you'll make the right decisions. Feel free to keep asking questions here. That's why we are here, help when we can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    HopefulGuy

--
    20 Oct 2014 03:37 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 18 Oct 2014 06:56 PM
    Research is an excellent thing. Keep doing that and talking to people, you'll make the right decisions. Feel free to keep asking questions here. That's why we are here, help when we can.

Thank you for the encouragement! 

Been a long term lurker here. Started the recruiting process about a year ago with lots of delays but I've had a lot of time to read threads in this forum. If I'm lucky and my MEPs paper go through this time I'm hoping to get a boot camp date for Feb. so I'll definitely be posting a lot more as so I can be as ready as possible
    HopefulGuy

--
    28 Oct 2014 11:54 PM
    Hey everyone, back with another question -

I would really like to start out my career with as much sailing as possible. I believe the new National Security Cutters would be a good fit for me. I was wondering - are there any TACLET, MSST, or MSRT units staffed on these that I would be able to shadow to learn about their duties? Or how about MEs?

I would also like to include another piece of resource for future onlookers -
    http://www.uscg.mil/psc/epm/docs/OS...IDANCE.pdf
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Oct 2014 07:27 AM
    TACLET, MSST, or MSRT

Those are individual units. If you're interested in LE as a nonrate I highly recommend you start researching Patrol Boats or Small Boat Stations, smaller crews equal more responsibility and opportunties for LE.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement