Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
PATFORSWA as a non rate?
Last Post 22 Nov 2014 07:38 PM by dmelt. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dmelt

--
09 Nov 2014 09:15 PM
    First off, I apologize if this is located somewhere else in another thread. I searched and couldn't find a topic directly to my question. I leave for basic on Feb 3rd and I've been trying to put together my dream sheet. And I was reading up on PATFORSWA and im very curious. If I'm not mistaken there is a requirement that you have to a BTM certified before deployment. I know non rates can get BTM certified, but can we go to PATFORSWA? And if so how do I go about that? Thank yall.
    dmelt

--
    09 Nov 2014 09:31 PM
    Never mind, I just found a post a few years back that answers my questions.
    dmelt

--
    19 Nov 2014 11:30 PM
    Are there posititons for non rates afloat? I saw on the Uscg.mil website it says there's ashore positions but didn't say anything about afloat. And if so, what do they do? I would love to actually be in the action with boardings and what not if I were to get selected. And yes, I know I still have to get through boot camp. But I don't know about you guys, but when you really want something, you work your ass off to get it. So I'm trying to get all the information I can. Thank yall.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2014 06:46 AM
    I do get what you are saying about wanting something and striving to get it. But you realize billets out of boot camp are a crap shoot and truly, I don't think there I anything you can do there that will guarantee where you go after. I do agree with your sentiment, get through boot camp first. You are putting the cart before the horse by trying to concentrate on the possibility of a station before you get through the step that even gets you to ANY station.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    dmelt

--
    20 Nov 2014 09:31 AM
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear, I did figure out getting patforswa out of bootcamp is not going to happen. I apologize there. I was more curious once I get my quals, and everything else done to become a perfect candidate. What kind of positions could I apply for afloat. Thank you and sorry again for not being clear!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2014 10:28 AM
    Ahhhh... that makes sense!! If there is anything available, what's available and what to do to get that... I'm sure someone around here knows. I don't. I know a few people that have gone but what they did to get there, I don't have those answers. Best of luck, keep your eye on the prize but not so much that you don't make the most out of your duty station. If you don't get PATFORSWA, you don't want the time spent wherever wishing for something else. Many apply, few get chosen.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    dmelt

--
    20 Nov 2014 10:57 AM
    Thank you! And there's no where that I could end up that I wouldn't like. Just finally being in the fleet will be enough for me. Yall won't hear me complaining. Hopefully I'll get some answers from non rates who were in the same position. Thanks for the input and sorry for the confusion haha!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 Nov 2014 11:13 AM
    Yall won't hear me complaining.

Those are some bold words.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    dmelt

--
    20 Nov 2014 11:50 AM
    I'm a man of my word. Success doesn't come from complaining. It comes from working your ass off and making the best of every situation your given. Whether you like it or not.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    21 Nov 2014 06:46 AM
    Keep up that positive attitude and you'll make the most of your first unit out of basic training. If PATFORSWA is your goal, get to a white hull cutter 110' or greater for the most helpful experience and qualifications to make your application stand out. I've known a couple of OS1's who did shore and afloat duty as well as E-3's that did afloat duty, none of them regret their time there and would do it again. Good luck!
    dmelt

--
    21 Nov 2014 11:50 AM
    Thank you Chief for the input. I actually just talked to my recruiter and he said there's roughly 4 afloat billets for non rates. Now if I were to request a patrol boat, can I put on the dream sheet I'm trying to go for PATFORSWA, do you think that may help? Or is that doubtful?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    21 Nov 2014 02:09 PM
    It couldn't hurt, but who knows if you'll actually apply for that if and when you're able to. It is a good idea to express on your resume why you'd want to go to one particular district that has more PBs than others in hopes of getting on one. D7 is chock-full of PBs.  There are more than four non-rate billets between all of the six 110s there, unless your recruiter is talking about current vacancies.

http://www.uscg.mil/top/units/
    dmelt

--
    21 Nov 2014 03:50 PM
    I'm sorry I meant to say 4 or so billets per PB. but I'm pretty dead set on going for PATFORSWA. And if I don't get it and end up staying on a patrol boat stateside, then so be it. I'll wait till A school. Won't bother me a bit. I really appreciate the input though. I've finally gotten everything straightened out about it haha. Thanks!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Nov 2014 08:10 PM
    There are more than four non-rate billets between all of the six 110s

The 110's are starting to go away. They'll all be 154's soon with 2 non rate billets. They're gonna be tough to get out of boot.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    dmelt

--
    21 Nov 2014 08:42 PM
    Yea Gears I realize now getting these billets out of boot is pretty much slim to none. But that's fine I don't mind putting in work to get my quals done before putting in for a billet, once the solicitation comes out. Does anyone know how often the billets open? Is it all depending on if people decide not to go? Or is it a set in stone once or twice a year?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    22 Nov 2014 11:42 AM
    It has been very common to see non-rate and some rates (usually OS1) being solicited every assignment year since the formation of PATFORSWA. You should see most messages show up in the spring to early summer just ahead of the regular assignment year messages. Critical and off-season vacancies come about when they are warranted, obviously.
    dmelt

--
    22 Nov 2014 02:59 PM
    Ahhhhh I see. So basically just get my quals done and do what I can to be the best candidate, then wait for the solicitation? Lol.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Nov 2014 04:30 PM
    Ya, I'm going to go ahead and say there is no way you'll get a patforswa billet out of boot camp. It's really competitive for the nonrates not in boot camp. They've been taking fully gun qualed btms with I am pretty sure, a command endorsement.

Ask for a 110 or 154' out of boot so that you can get the specific cutter quals so that when you put in for the solicitation you'll be a recert for whatever cutter is going to be there.

Nonrate solicitation has been twice a year for over 4 years
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    dmelt

--
    22 Nov 2014 07:38 PM
    Awesome. Thank yall for the info. At first I just wanted to do PATFORSWA to get to the top of the A school list. But now after reading all about it, I think it would be one hell of an experience. And I love the go-fast, tactical sort of work.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement