Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Planning on joining..
Last Post 26 Nov 2014 12:47 AM by captkyguy. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
FutureHero

--
11 Nov 2014 08:21 PM
    Hello guys. I've being looking at options and ive decided that I waant to join the Coast Guards. Ill be 100% honest with all of you. Im currently 16 years old , turning 17 in december. Im on senior year in high school. Here comes the good part , im already going to be a dad. My girlfriend is 18 , right now we are living in my parents house. I have a part time job and im planning on finishing high school. Ive always had the dream of going to college and university , but now that im going to be a father and a husband I have other priorities , my family. I have a few questions id like you to answer for me.. 

Am I going to be away from my family all the time ? 
    Will they be able to travel with me ? 
    Are we going to move a lot ? 

Thank you in advance. Take care fellas. 
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Nov 2014 09:08 PM
    This has to be a troll but I'm still going to answer the questions. Time away from family depends on your job but you will start off away from them for 8 weeks. Your family will be able to move from duty station to duty station with you. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but your child will be your dependent and your girlfriend will not; therefore, the Coast Guard will pay for your child to be moved but not your girlfriend. Once you finish "A" school you will move approximately every four years.
    As for getting into the Coast Guard, you might want to work on your grammar, punctuation, and spelling before you see a recruiter. Also, being a teenage father is not the good part. It means you have a long, hard road ahead of you and you are going to have to make a lot of sacrifices. Being a father at 16 or 17 years old doesn't go very far in proving to your recruiter that you have a lot going for you on the responsibility front. That along with the grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors might make it a little bit harder to get into the Coast Guard. Leaving your teenage girlfriend alone with your newborn child to go to bootcamp, then adding the stress of moving might not be the correct road to go down. My advice, since you thanked me in advance for it, would be to finish high school, get a full time job, take care of your family, and work on some college classes as spare time presents itself.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Nov 2014 05:55 AM
    I do agree with mkelly, your English language skills leave a lot to be desired. I don't want to hear excuses about cell phone or whatever, that's how I am posting this and I'm doing a fine job. You can as well, if you so desire. The father at such a young age could reflect poorly on you. Here is where I'll correct mkelly, you cannot enlist in the military as a single parent unless you relinquish 100% of your custodial rights of your child to his/her mother. Your child will not transfer with you without a wife. You can be a single parent once you are in the Coast Guard, you cannot join as a single parent.

If you get married, yes your wife and child will move with you. There are a few locations that a spouse and child cannot go, but that list is so incredibly short, I wouldn't worry about it. It could happen, it probably will not happen. Keep in mind, marriage is difficult, a new baby is difficult, then add the possibility of being stationed thousands of miles from your home, her home, any emotional support. You are setting yourself up for possible failure of epic proportions. The CG is a good way of life but you need to really be prepared for all that you will face. Plus, you dump her in Seattle, Washington and leave on your cutter for 3 months. She is how far from family? Now she is alone with a young child. It could work, it does work for some. But there is a better possibility it won't work. I think the best thing you can do for your future and that of your family, stay closer to home, take care of them, go to community college, at least get your Associates. Once you've established your family life, then look at enlisting in the CG. Make sure you have your bearings straight in your life before you make a complete upheaval like military service.

If you do decide to wait and the CG is still going to be a future option for you... Don't have another child. There are ways to protect yourself from that happening, you need to look into them. You will not be enlisting if you exceed the dependent limit, which is 2, 1 spouse, 1 child.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    FutureHero

--
    12 Nov 2014 06:12 AM
    No I am not a troll.Thank you for correcting me. English is my second language , and I know I need to practice. However I dont think my family would get the same benefits if I just had a regular job. I don't want to be a walmart employee , I wan to be able to support my family.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Nov 2014 08:00 AM
    Your family won't get the same benefits, that's absolutely true, as a Walmart employee. But when you become a father at 16 there are consequences. One of them being you might not be able to provide the same had you waited until you were educated and gainfully employed and started at a family at 26. This might be one of those consequences. You've made choices in your life, choices that might now adversely effect where you go and what you do.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    J031

--
    16 Nov 2014 05:07 PM
    A father at 16 wanting to join the USCG? I would honestly try the Army. Not that the Army is bad but the fact that being a father at 16 and applying to the USCG which is such a selective branch might not look too good. Just my 2 cents.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Nov 2014 08:32 PM
    Why settle for the Army without trying for the USCG first...the kid made a mistake in a moment of passion, a weakness all but a few males have, he now see the responsibilities he is being faced with and is trying to provide the best he can for his soon to be family. A mature move on his part. Yes being a father while,still a kid will be difficult at best, but it can work if both involved want it to work and make sacrifices to make it work.

FutureHero, go for it, do not settle for anything less than what you know you can be successful at and provide for your new family. Go for the CG, let them see that you are an outstanding young man, yes you made a life changing mistake, but one you can manage and make the best of. Show them you are honest with solid integrity and work ethics, have the full support of your child's mother and both families, that you are there to make something of yourself and be a proud father to your soon to be born child! Never settle for another option in life work tirelessly to get the option you want...only go to plan B when all options have run their course and have been shut down.

Now I would not up and move the new family right at first. I would leave them with the strong support group of both hers and your family, babysitting, daycare, physical and mental support for her during the no sleep early months, there is also usually a few months of depression after giving birth she will need that family support. After boot camp and getting your first assignment and getting settled in and qualified, look at getting her moved over and living with you.

Make the best of your situation, you have been thrown into manhood much sooner than most, step up and do right by your child and his mother and be the proud father and role model for them.

Keep us posted and we wish you the best!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    FutureHero

--
    23 Nov 2014 05:46 PM
    Thank you Captkyguy. Even though most of the other fellas opinion were for me not to try the CG , i decided that I was going to do it anyways. Opinios like your motivate me to keep going. My son has already being born , and he is the most wonderful thing thats ever happened to my girlfriend and I. Im taking the pre asvab at my school on tuesday. Wish me luck. 

And thank you all. 
    J031

--
    23 Nov 2014 06:47 PM
    Study hard for the ASVAB. Remember that determines if you're eligible to join the military and yes the school one does count and that is not a pre-Test. Goodluck.
    FutureHero

--
    25 Nov 2014 04:21 PM
    Hey everybody. Quick update. I took the Pre Asvab today at my school and got a 46 on it. I know I need to hit that 50 , and I will next time. I'll try harder day after there.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    25 Nov 2014 05:56 PM
    I'd say you have to shoot for a lot higher than 50. I'm sure a recruiter can let you know for sure what you'll need to be competitive nowadays but I'd say at least a 75. They take into account the big picture....previous history of a mistake in a moment of passion, as Capt calls it, mixed with a low ASVAB score might not sit too well. If this school ASVAB does count, like J031 says, there are rules on retaking the ASVAB and if you get a lower score, that one take the place of your higher score. Make sure you can score a lot higher before you retake the test.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    25 Nov 2014 07:12 PM
    Generally, the higher the AFQT score you get the more ratings you'll qualify for. The goal, recruiting wide, is an average AFQT score of 65 or better and individual recruiting office scores need to be 85% greater than 50. So, depending on the office you apply with you may be out of luck with an AFQT score of 50 until the next fiscal year. I suggest contacting a recruiting office and requesting the official prescreen ASVAB. You can do it online and get your score instantly and then see which areas you're weak in and study. This is free and can only be done once.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Nov 2014 12:47 AM
    Do not settle for "hitting" a minimal passing score of 50% and do not set your goal on a minimal passing score of a 50% at all on the ASVAB or for that matter in life...This is not high school and doing just enough to get by like many teenagers will do...this is your future career choice, your families livelihood, comfort and security...look at your son and his mother and tell them "I know I can do better and I will do better"...then by gosh, DO BETTER! Hit the ASVAB books and hit them hard in a serious way because you want to better yourself and provide better for your family and to be proud in your career choice. To do that you need to prepare yourself both mentally and physically and score much higher than the minimal passing score in anything you do from this point forward in life! Go to the library and look through all the ASVAB books and find the one that you understand the best and study it. Study it day in and day out until you know every answer to every question in it, then go back and find another one that you like and study it the same way. Then find and take any and all online practice ASVAB tests you can (a simple google search), then study, study, study and study some more until you know and understand all topics of questioning. If you find you have difficulty in one area, hit it harder or get some tutoring in that area of study. Do not go back to a recruiter unprepared to score very well on the ASVAB (high 80's to 90') and showing them you are squared away and ready for a life changing career, and to be the hard working and upstanding young man you know you are. Doing otherwise will only show him/her that you are not squared away and not ready for a life changing career in the USCG and he/she will turn you away...so study, study, study, exercise, exercise, exercise and then study some more and get squared away by preparing yourself for success! Show yourself, show your son, show your family, show the recruiter and show us that you are serious and can and will do this!!!

When I was over the rookies in the fire academy I let them know on day one that learning anything less than 100% of the material I was going to expose them to could possibly result in their fire ground injury or worse death...and that was unacceptable! I clearly let them know that if they were only wanting to study or only learn just enough to get by and pass with the minimal scores on the testing and skills, which was 75%, than that simply would not be acceptable and I would do everything possible to terminate them from my fire academy! I clearly let then know that the 25% that they chose not to study or learn could be the piece of information that might prevent an injury or save their life or their partners life on the fire ground!!! I insisted and fully expected them to score and maintain a 90% or above GPA on all tests and skills...period! They had to sign paperwork to this effect as well. Also whenever we had a test coming up I always reminded them that expecting any score less than a 100% was unacceptable...I put in the time and effort to teach them 100% of the material, they studied 100% of the material as well as putting the time and effort in to practicing and knowing the material, therefore they should not settle for anything less than striving for a 100% score! The only reason I did not require a 100% GPA was for mismarking on test sheets and/or misreading a test question, that stuff happens.

Set your sights high and aim high! Set your goals high but within reach, then prepare and educate yourself to reach those goals in order to elevate yourself in life and career choices. Then make it happen with unwavering determination, hard work, sacrifice and educating yourself to be the best you can be at whatever you choose! Never settle for minimum, mediocre or just getting by...you can do better, so do better!

We wish you the best and look forward to seeing you post a much higher score in a few months...do not rush it, take the time you need to be fully prepared.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement