Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Swearing in at MEPS
Last Post 29 Jan 2015 01:16 PM by Old Guard2. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
COBrien

--
24 Nov 2014 09:02 PM

Hello, 
    I know this is a little last minute, but I go to swear at MEPS tomorrow and I was just wondering what this process entails since they want me to be there early at 0545 again. 

Thanks is advance!
    dmelt

--
    24 Nov 2014 10:14 PM
    They'll open up at 6 and seperate everyone between shippers, new guys, and people who have been there before. You'll go with the group that's been there before. You'll check in with your Liason once you get in. Then do the weigh in and inspection, depending on how long it was since the last timeyou were there. Then once you clear you'll go back to your Liason and wait. Wait for a very long time until they get you and the other DEPers into the briefing room. You'll be briefed on the ceremony then you'll do the ceremony. And depending on if you drove to meps or stayed at the hotel, you'll either leave after, or wait for the bus to take you to the hotel. It is a VERY long and boring day. But congrats!
    COBrien

--
    24 Nov 2014 10:22 PM
    Yea I was just there about a month ago so not too long. Sounds like a very exciting day.
    Thanks for the response!
    dmelt

--
    24 Nov 2014 10:39 PM
    I think if you haven't been to meps in 30 days (don't quote me) you have to do the weigh in and inspection again. But even though it's a really long day, the ceremony itself is so overwhelming. You finally get to make everything official. Enjoy it!
    COBrien

--
    25 Nov 2014 02:49 PM
    Yeah, I had to do the inspect, but it wasn't too bad. It was definitely a bit long; I didn't get out of there til about 11.
    It was exciting though to make it official!
    COBrien

--
    25 Nov 2014 02:49 PM
    Yeah, I had to do the inspect, but it wasn't too bad. It was definitely a bit long; I didn't get out of there til about 11.
    It was exciting though to make it official!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    25 Nov 2014 08:27 PM
    Is the inspect the full physical again? I've gotten conflicting information about what it actually entails.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    dmelt

--
    25 Nov 2014 09:08 PM
    No you go in and get weighed in and do the part where you're in just underwear and the doc checks your feet and knees and back. It's really easy and fast. Depending on the waiting.
    dmelt

--
    25 Nov 2014 09:10 PM
    Also, congrats COBrien! When's your ship date?
    COBrien

--
    26 Nov 2014 09:30 AM
    Bleem, Dmelt pretty much just hit the nail on the head. That was exactly what we had to do for the inspect

Thanks! My ship date is February 24.
    tsmoore88

--
    27 Jan 2015 11:23 AM
    I go to DEP in on Thursday- regarding the underwear thing: Do you mean the whole deal where you stand on one leg and do heel thrusts? Am I going to have the joy of doing the duck walk again?
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    dmelt

--
    27 Jan 2015 11:31 AM
    No this time you go in you'll just weigh in, and the doc checks for warts and checks your back. No duck walk or any of that. Its a whole lot easier. Still a long boring day though
    tsmoore88

--
    27 Jan 2015 11:34 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    God, Country, Family
    "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    27 Jan 2015 01:24 PM
    For what it's worth, when I swore in to DEP I had to do some of the mobility/balance exercises again. I didn't do the duck walk specifically, but squat-to-stand, heel thrusts, etc., I did. It had been more than 30 days since my physical so I had to do an inspect, so that might be why I had to do it.
    tsmoore88

--
    28 Jan 2015 11:05 AM
    Yikes, it's been more than 30 days for me. I hated the heel thrusts- I don't balance on one leg much so it was a bit awkward for me. That and the guy instructing us made us stand on one leg for 30 minutes like he was Mr. Miagi or something.
    God, Country, Family
    newhope

--
    29 Jan 2015 11:22 AM
    Two quick questions regarding MEPS;

1. Could you go to the bathroom whenever you need to?

2. I understand that there are long waiting periods but are there breaks for lunch or snacks? People in this forum stated that it begins at 6 am may go up to 8 or 10 pm, how would you manage without food?

thanks
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    29 Jan 2015 11:36 AM
    Went to meps twice in the past few months.

1. You could within a reasonable time. They will ask if you have peed in a cup yet though. I was able to go to the bathroom when I asked.

2. They fed us a decent lunch starting at 10am. After that I cannot advise as I left prior to noon both times.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    29 Jan 2015 11:44 AM
    Posted By newhope on 29 Jan 2015 11:22 AM
    Two quick questions regarding MEPS;

1. Could you go to the bathroom whenever you need to?

2. I understand that there are long waiting periods but are there breaks for lunch or snacks? People in this forum stated that it begins at 6 am may go up to 8 or 10 pm, how would you manage without food?

thanks

My answers are based on my experiences at Los Angeles MEPS:

1.  If you are in the medical section, you must ask permission to leave to use the restroom.  There is a restroom in the medical section, but it was for obtaining urine samples only.  Keep in mind that if you are going for a full physical, you will have to give a urine sample at some point.  If you use the bathroom before hand and then can't produce a sample, you're going to have to come back another day.

2.  If you are there long enough you will be served a lunch.  There are vending machines around, but, again, if you are in the medical section you might not have access to them.  As for staying until 8 or 10 PM, the LA MEPS closes at 5PM, which I would assume is standard?  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I went to MEPS 3 times (once for full physical, again for an outside medical consult, and again for DEP/inspect physical), and never stayed long enough to eat lunch.  I think I lucked out, though.
    modernwarfare

--
    29 Jan 2015 12:50 PM
    My journey was until 4pm both times. last time lunch was at 11. Time before they gave me a sandwich on my way out. Yup, thats a full 12 hours since the breakfast at the hotel. Bring money for vending machines. After the urnine test you can pee all you want. or right when you get there. I decided to hold it until the test and ended up holding it for 3 hours. I almost failed the blood pressure test because i was in pain from holding it. Also, get enough rest because they will yell at you if you fall asleep.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Jan 2015 01:16 PM
    How will you manage without food if your cutter is chasing a panga, then there is a SAR, then something else happens... If you are worried about not eating, military life might not be conducive. I'm not saying it happens often but i have received an exhausted email from my son... Last time we ate was breakfast 18 hours ago, don't care, too tired, going to my rack to collapse. It doesn't happen often but it can.......
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement