Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining the CG Aux
Last Post 29 Dec 2014 06:19 PM by fltech. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
fltech

--
25 Nov 2014 06:52 PM
    I've lurked around for a while in doing research about joining the CG Auxiliary and I decided to join the forum. I tried joining the Navy in 2011 out of high school and made it to Great Lakes before receiving a medical discharge. In doing some research, I found out about the Aux and decided to join. My FSO-HR is currently going through several medical procedures so he can continue meting the requirements to be Direct Operational (He currently serves on a 87' and recruiting for the CG and CG Academy) so I've been told that my process of joining is going to be somewhat delayed especially with the upcoming holidays. What can I do to get ahead of the curve so when I'm in Aux, I can contribute to the Flotilla as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Jake
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    26 Nov 2014 06:08 AM
    Welcome aboard! You can start by reading. Learn the contents of the AUXMAN (Auxiliary Manual). Start learning a qualification; vessel examiner is a great way to start. You can do the academics over the winter, and come spring, do the practical work. If you look at the Auxiliary website --> Members---> Manuals, these are not classified. Read. The more you know, the more you'll be able to contribute.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    fltech

--
    27 Nov 2014 09:44 AM
    Posted By scoutdad25619 on 26 Nov 2014 07:08 AM
    Welcome aboard! You can start by reading. Learn the contents of the AUXMAN (Auxiliary Manual). Start learning a qualification; vessel examiner is a great way to start. You can do the academics over the winter, and come spring, do the practical work. If you look at the Auxiliary website --> Members---> Manuals, these are not classified. Read. The more you know, the more you'll be able to contribute.

Thank You!

I was reading up on the differences between IQ and BQ. I see that a boater's safety course is required for BQ, so I've begun that and should have that finished up soon. Also, as I will have plenty of time through January, can I complete multiple certifications on the academic side?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    28 Nov 2014 02:03 AM
    That's a great start. With regard to quals: You can, but don't get ahead of yourself. Work on one at a time. Start with Vessel Examiner, and go from there. Before you do anything though, talk with your Flotilla Commander. They may have different ideas.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    fltech

--
    30 Nov 2014 08:40 PM
    That might be a little bit tricky as the current FC does not have a positive view from the Flotilla. The Flotilla is not in a good spot until the upcoming election which I believe is Tuesday. Is there issues like this in Aux?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    01 Dec 2014 05:17 PM
    Anytime you have people interacting with one another, there are bound to be conflicts. However, being a volunteer organization, and where things get done because of a belief in the Core Values and not orders, the potential is there. Is it typical, I don't believe so. But nothing is perfect. One of the units in my division had some leadership issues, but in time they worked themselves out. One nice thing about the Auxiliary is if you're not happy, you can transfer. You can keep that in your back pocket - just in case.
    fltech

--
    01 Dec 2014 09:00 PM
    Posted By scoutdad25619 on 01 Dec 2014 06:17 PM
    Anytime you have people interacting with one another, there are bound to be conflicts. However, being a volunteer organization, and where things get done because of a belief in the Core Values and not orders, the potential is there. Is it typical, I don't believe so. But nothing is perfect. One of the units in my division had some leadership issues, but in time they worked themselves out. One nice thing about the Auxiliary is if you're not happy, you can transfer. You can keep that in your back pocket - just in case.

Scoutdad, first thank you for your advice, I'm really surprising the FSO-HR with trying to get ahead. It just seems like a lot to get to the point of qualifying with the gold side, so why not start ASAP.

It seems from what I have read, the issues with the Flotilla are the same issues nationwide. I guess the wait for the ID card turns people off as getting the uniforms and certain training requires the ID. I'm not worried to much as with part time school and a full time job for a semester, so I'm not going to have much time to give in the beginning. Perfect time to join up, wait, and get basics done.

I have a question that may while it deals with the Aux, it maybe better asked elsewhere. Can qualifying for engineer with the CG/CGAUX help with getting QMED (Qualified Member of the Engine Department), TWIC card, and help with potential Merchant Marine or Maritime possibilities/employment?  I know QMED and TWIC are done through the CG, just wondering if qualifying with the gold side helps?

It's a lot, but the Auxiliary really excites me and it seems like a lot of really great opportunities.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    02 Dec 2014 08:06 PM
    No problem with the advice. I'm an HR officer myself, it's part of the job. The ID issue really isn't that big a deal. You can get uniforms as long as you have your EMPLID. That's what matters. If you're in AP status with an ID number, go ahead and get your uniforms. The ID system is apparently down, and down hard, but that's not going to stop people from getting uniformed up.

Remember to qualify in an AUX mission first. Your flotilla staff will be more apt to support you and your goals if you support the flotilla's. I work with my local MSU doing pollution reponse, but I support my flotilla doing vessel exams and public education.

Your last question is way out of my league. My best advice is reach out to your local MSU (make sure you tell your FSO-MT before contacting them in an official capacity). Next time I'm in the office, I'll see if I can grab one of the licensing officers and run this by them. My inclination however is no. The knowledge will always help, but I don't see it getting you out of jumping through the hoops for the various levels of credentials.
    fltech

--
    03 Dec 2014 07:23 PM
    I went to the Flotilla meeting last night in which the paperwork and fingerprinting got finished up. Our division only has 2 personnel who do the PSI, so that and the holidays probably means late January or early February for the EMPLID? I know ID cards take a while and I'm not too worried while I work on getting the basics finished.

Maybe a better question to ask on the Maritime Industry is can I qualify as an engineer or a member of the engine department while serving in the Aux? I know of AUXCHEF and a few others, but I can't find anything on Gold Side Quals. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    04 Dec 2014 06:11 AM
    Two people at the division level doesn't sound right. Background checks are done by USCG SCCEN at the national level. There is district level involvement, but the only Auxiliary involvement is getting the application up the chain. Either way, it takes time, and don't expect to do anything with the Gold Side until it comes back and you're 'BQ'. get used to things "moving at the speed of government." But once it happens, a lot of doors open up, and it becomes a lot of fun. Yes, you can qualify as an engineer on a small boat (as long as the station you'd like to augment are willing to train you). Working with the Gold Side is very rewarding, but you need to have the support of both your FC and the command at the station you intend to work with. It's their prerogative as to whether or not they want to train you.

The process to qualify would be the same as the Gold Side minus any LE, military or weapons training. You may need to qualify as crew first, then do engineer. Its a process, a lot to know, but as I said: very rewarding.
    fltech

--
    07 Dec 2014 03:54 PM
    The incoming leadership is real big on helping the gold side. They're attitude appears that the more we can train and do for the gold side, the more time the gold side can focus on LE and military. Also it appears that the gold side is huge on AUX involvement and the Sector Commander loves the AUX. I understand hurry up and wait, so waiting for an EMPLID and ID card doesn't bother me.

Would there be someone to ask if qualifying as an engineer would be enough for an entry-level engineer position on a merchant ship? I would like to do engineering on board a ship, however small conditions DQ me from military service.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    08 Dec 2014 05:56 AM
    If you can get in touch with someone at a local Marine Safety Unit they may be able to shed some light on the qualifications. Being an engineer on a small boat is much different than filling the billet on a merchant ship and a lot of that is going to depend on the employer recognizing the training and determining if it fits their needs. Can't hurt to ask...
    fltech

--
    08 Dec 2014 02:42 PM
    I looked for a MSU close by and it doesn't say anything about Sector Jacksonville? We have a huge port here and I'm minutes away from Sector. Could I be looking in the wrong place?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    09 Dec 2014 08:33 AM
    I checked 7th district site. There's an MSO (Marine Safety Office) in Jacksonville. Give them a ring.
    fltech

--
    21 Dec 2014 05:44 PM
    Awesome, thank you. So it looks like my Member ID will be back soon and the mentors will take me to get uniforms. Anything I should know about the uniforms or is it similar to the uniform issue I experienced in the Navy?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    23 Dec 2014 06:19 AM
    If you're going to an exchange, my experience is they're pretty helpful (I've only ben to Grand Haven - so it's kind of limited). If you're going to Cape May, or the Academy, it might be similar. Remember, the sizes run true. Be prepared to be shocked at what size pants/shirt you REALLY wear...
    fltech

--
    28 Dec 2014 07:07 PM
    I'll be going to the one here in Jacksonville, being a small boat station. I heard it is pretty limited but NEX carries CG uniforms on base.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    28 Dec 2014 07:33 PM
    That's outstanding. Good Luck at the NEX. I've heard they're decent stores (we have one north of me at NTC Great Lakes - hoping for an excuse to drive up there). Enjoy the journey, and welcome aboard, shipmate!
    fltech

--
    29 Dec 2014 06:19 PM
    Thank You! It's great to be able to be apart of such a great organization. I'm excited.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement