Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
E-QIP/SF-86
Last Post 05 Dec 2014 09:19 PM by captkyguy. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bleem

--
26 Nov 2014 03:58 PM
    What, exactly, are the ramifications of these forms/the investigation that uses them?  Specifically, is this to determine your eligibility for certain jobs and/or clearances, or for enlistment in general?

I only ask because I recently was not selected for a law enforcement position after the background investigation was conducted.  I do not know the reasons they had for not selecting me, but I have suspicions that one of my former bosses didn't give me a very favorable reference (I wrote a rational - but very negative - review of the workplace after I had resigned, and posted it on Glassdoor.com.  He found out about it and was not happy).  I must expect that whatever that investigation turned up, this one will turn up as well.

I've never had any trouble with the law or anything like that, but I'm always finding new things to stress out about   I would hate to think I could be denied enlistment because I burned a bridge with a former employer.

Should I be concerned?
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Nov 2014 04:21 PM
    The SF-86/E-QIP is used to provide the basis for your security clearance. I believe everyone who enlists nowadays has to qualify for a Secret clearance. There are some jobs in the CG that require a Top Secret.

Once the SF-86/E-QIP goes in, it will be assigned an investigator. If there's any issues, the investigator will follow up on them. It's rare for someone top be denied a clearance because of one negative incident (unless it's a real whopper)

Any questions, let me know

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    27 Nov 2014 09:27 AM
    Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be prudent to call attention to that situation in the "additional comments" section under that employer on the SF-86?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    27 Nov 2014 10:40 AM
    Yep. My best advice is to not conceal anything. You'll run into more problems if you do that, than if you're up front with negative info.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    27 Nov 2014 11:30 AM
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks!
    mfko

--
    04 Dec 2014 03:17 PM
    Hello, I was just wondering if I could use my cousin for section 16 (people who know you well)?
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    04 Dec 2014 04:22 PM
    You need to read the instructions as I'm sure your recruiter told you. Your answer about using a cousin is in the instruction for that section. The e-QIP is part of the application process too. I tell my applicants they need to pay attention to detail and follow instructions, this being no exception.  You are constantly being evaluated by your recruiter until you get on the bus at MEPS en route basic.
    mfko

--
    04 Dec 2014 09:40 PM
    Thank you for your reply sir. The reason why I ask is because I really can't think of anyone that knows me "well" other than my own family. I am a bit antisocial and I usually just stay at home and do my own thing and I want to join the military to do something with my life. I have friends, but I can't say that they know me "well". I just finished school and never been employed so I cant list any supervisors. Is there anything that you would suggest I do? I feel embarrassed writing this, go easy on me lol. Thanks in advance!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Dec 2014 05:50 AM
    I have never filled one out, so I'm not sure if it specifically says do not use family. If it does, cousins are out. If not, then you may use a cousin. You say you've never had a job and that's fine. If you haven't had one, you haven't had one. But you can possibly use teachers. They are in a somewhat supervisory position and can evaluate you. I'm sure you must have had at least one or two teachers that left an impression on you and you on them. Speak to your recruiter or I'm sure Storm will be around and he can help clarify as well.

As far as being antisocial... Are you just a shy sort of person? You'll need to break out of that shell a bit. Boot camp will be stressful enough, you will want to form some bonds, friends. Once in the fleet, you might be far from home. I'm sure you'll stay in close contact with your family through all of the social media possibilities. You are also going to want to have friends on your ship. It could be very lonely if you isolate yourself from shipmates. I'm the same way, I'm much happier home with my pets. But when I married my Coastie I learned friends are a fabulous thing to have. A lot of good ones, a few really great close ones! I moved from NJ to Alaska, had I not had friends, can you imagine how lonely that would have been for me?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Dec 2014 09:19 PM
    I as well would suggest a teacher or two...maybe a family friend as well. Good luck and enjoy your journey.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement