Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Last minute preparations
Last Post 11 Jan 2015 07:11 PM by aztecmatt. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dmelt

--
02 Jan 2015 12:32 AM
    Howdy yall. Happy new year to everyone. Hope yall had a good holiday. I just had a quick question for you guys. I leave for boot camp Feb 3rd so I'm gettin down to the last month left. I've been workin out and running and what not but I was just curious if yall had any advice for getting ready so soon to shipping. Should I get on a certain diet? Focus more on cardio based workouts or something like that? Any input from experience is appreciated. I'm just trying to be as ready as possible when I head out. And also any last minute advice on anything else related. Thanks in advance for all the responses.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    02 Jan 2015 02:11 AM
    Don't work out too hard. The last thing you want is to get hurt before you're supposed to ship. Enjoy your last month at home while staying focused on your goal.

And study that required knowledge
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Jan 2015 07:04 AM
    One of our regular moms who pops in and out, KD, said her son started getting used to sleeping east coast time. They live out west and he didn't want to show up too jet lagged. So about a month before he started going to bed earlier, east coast normal time. Then he woke up very early west coast time but regular time for east coast. So if you aren't on the east coast, that might be something to think about.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    joseywalez

--
    02 Jan 2015 08:28 AM
    No such thing as working out too hard... there's a lifting to heavy than your used to and getting injured but If your used to working out and your body can handle it than git r done. I would say make sure you memorize your General Orders, rates and ranks, military nautical terms and all those things before you go. It's better to know it then have to learn it because you will be already swamped at memorizing all the rules and knowledge for Cape May. Trust me, you don't want to get stopped in the Galley and not know who the OOD is or what your 6th General Order is. Good Luck!! (I want to be a future CC)
    dmelt

--
    02 Jan 2015 10:37 AM
    Thanks yall! I Live in Florida so I'm already on east coast time, but I should probably start a sleep schedule where I'm getting up early every morning. And I have all my required knowledge down for the most part. Going to continue to hit on that until I leave. As for lifting, i do tend to lift heavy for strength, not necessarily endurance so I may want to fix that now.
    joseywalez

--
    02 Jan 2015 12:55 PM
    I am an advocate for CrossFit. I love it! Its a great mixture of strength and endurance training. The only time I ever puked from a workout (came close amny times) was completing a challenge in 3min and 58 seconds (second place was 4min 20 seconds). I was wiped out for the rest of the day. I'm not saying to change your routine but consider it.
    dmelt

--
    02 Jan 2015 06:34 PM
    I mean, I'm not one to dis something ive never tried. I don't know if there are any cross fit places near me but I may be able to find some workouts to do. How about items that you wish you brought to boot camp (in winter) that you didn't.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Jan 2015 06:53 PM
    Also make sure you have your required knowledge memorized.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    dmelt

--
    02 Jan 2015 08:43 PM
    I am on top of that. I downloaded the "quizlet" app and put everything that's in the Helsman in there, along with other study guides on the app. What about permitted items to bring? Is there something yall wish you brought that could be bought at the exchange? Like maybe bring your own toothpaste and things along that line.
    COBrien

--
    02 Jan 2015 10:20 PM
    Does anyone think crossfit endurance would be good for preparing for bootcamp with a little over a month and a half left?

I know it is not currently offered at all crossfit gyms, but it is by me so i was just curious.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Jan 2015 02:08 AM
    Insanity, T-25 are good
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    05 Jan 2015 10:16 PM
    Just to add my $.02 from my experiences with CrossFit and as a personal trainer:

Be careful with CrossFit. I am not going to make any sweeping generalizations, but I know multiple people from different gyms who have injured themselves (one of them seriously) doing CrossFit due to a mentality that tends to push people a little too hard. In every case it was a result of people being a bit too "encouraging." The workouts are good, but too often the culture of CrossFit seems to be a bit extreme (in my experience).  It's good to push yourself, but you also need to know your limits.

That's all I have to say about that.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Jan 2015 10:31 PM
    Cross fit is completely crazy unless you are already in extremely good shape...many, many, many injuries from the not so in shape guys just trying to complete the full workout setup by the instructor. My entire department was strongly encouraged to attend, it was all paid for so the encouragement was high...over 250 guys and gals. As I mentioned many injuries happened because the workouts for the day were unreal and designed for someone already in great shape.

The concept has merits but as mentioned the encouraging and pushing to reach a new level of a already very high set level is asking for injury unless already in great shape. IMHO
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    dmelt

--
    05 Jan 2015 11:10 PM
    Not sure if I'm looking to possibly push back my ship date even more haha. I've been waitin a year for this so I think for now, I'll pass on the cross fit.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    05 Jan 2015 11:42 PM
    Posted By dmelt on 05 Jan 2015 11:10 PM
    Not sure if I'm looking to possibly push back my ship date even more haha. I've been waitin a year for this so I think for now, I'll pass on the cross fit.

I haven't shipped yet either so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you're going to be doing much strength training in boot camp.  Running, push-ups, sit-ups, body-weight squats, burpees, etc. should be plenty good for preparing you.

If you have any questions about workout stuff feel free to PM me - I do this for a living after all.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    06 Jan 2015 12:05 AM
    I've been doing crossfit for a month now and I can definitely see what you are talking about in being good shape. I haven't been able to do one workout that I didn't have to modify so I didn't hurt myself. That doesn't mean it is not getting me in great shape. You just have to be able to check your ego at the door and know your limits. Luckily the crossfit gym I go to is very cautious with monitoring people so they don't overexert themselves.
    dmelt

--
    06 Jan 2015 09:37 AM
    I was never really into the whole idea of cross fit. I like strength training. I've switched over from strength training to just doing a ton of push-ups sit ups and body weight excersices since I'm only 27 days out.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    10 Jan 2015 03:20 PM
    I came across this and am now doing this regimen. Figured I post it here in case anyone hadn't found it:

http://bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive....t-program/
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    aztecmatt

--
    11 Jan 2015 07:11 PM
    Posted By Bleem on 10 Jan 2015 03:20 PM
    I came across this and am now doing this regimen. Figured I post it here in case anyone hadn't found it:

http://bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive....t-program/

I have done 1 week of this and so far, so good. I was doing similar stuff on my own, but this was great because it's different stuff that I didn't do before that we'll most likely encounter in BC (high knees, v-sit ups, etc.). It'll help train those muscles for those workouts and prevent us from getting hurt by doing it for the first time under pressure at BC.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement