Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Transferring credits to an online degree?
Last Post 07 Jan 2015 03:23 PM by Bells. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bruderxctf17

--
07 Jan 2015 11:36 AM
    I have a few questions about getting a bachelor's degree while on active duty. My first two are will credits from a local community college transfer to an online degree program as far as general education requirements go, and how old can they be to still be usable? I was wondering because it determines whether I go to college or enlist first. I am interested in joining the army initially, but I also want to make the Coast Guard into a career. I thought I would try to do both because I just can't choose one or the other. However, the MOS that I am interested in is only available to those aged 20 or older. My plan is to either go to DMACC until I am eligible and enlist then, or to join out of high school and apply for (yes, it does sound a little typical) SFAS from an infantry unit. The reason I posted this here was because I plan on getting my degree while serving in the Coast Guard, not the army, which brings me back to my question. Is it worth it to earn some college credit and try to transfer it later into a degree program after a time of probably 5 or 6 years? I thought about that because I know there is a cap on tuition assistance, and I believe that the most current limit is something like 75% or the tuition or $250 per credit hour. If it isn't, then I intend on going to school entirely while in the Coast Guard, paying the TA difference out of pocket. I'll probably post this on the army forum sometime too, just to get opinions from both sides. I would like to get as much information as I can early on so I have time to make sure everything is planned out the way I want it.
    Two side notes: I am currently taking one online DMACC class every semester, and I started my freshman year of high school. I can take these for free as long as I get a passing grade, so should I keep taking the my junior and senior year and try to transfer the applicable ones to a degree? The second thing is if anyone had any recommendations as to which schools offer the best programs for active duty service members? I looked at a few and the ones I liked best were AMU for fire science or security management, Florida Tech for aviation management, and Liberty University for aeronautics with a concentration in aviation maintenance management.

Thanks for any input!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jan 2015 01:07 PM
    Keep in mind while it is not impossible, prior service can be tricky and there are rules and regulations to it. You really should sit down and speak to recruiters for both services and see which best fits what you truly desire to do, for a career. Then stick with that particular branch. It could be the Army for 20 and wonderfully happy. It could be the Coast Guard for 20... It could be one for 4 and forget it... It could be one, I'm enjoying, I'll stay, now I'll get out but you have ranked up too high or served too long or simply aged out and there goes the plan of switching services.

While it is possible it can prove difficult. I could understand if you joined one, thought you were going to be all you can be, were disillusioned and decided, I'm just about at the end of this enlistment, let me see about moving over to this branch. But to actually go in saying I'll achieve all I can this way then go over there for round 2. I think you might find yourself disappointed and not getting out of the service what you think you'll get out of it.

Also I find it odd you want Army but your profile picture is that of the Lone Sailor statue. My son was just there a few days ago. Quite a moving piece and what is written about it is very true.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jan 2015 01:11 PM
    One thing I did forget to mention... Tuition assistance comes and goes. Lately it is more on the GO side. With budget cuts, government shut downs, certain things get cut. Fuel for the CG cutters isn't going to be the first on the chopping block, TA is. So basing anything on the hopes of using any of the military branches for free schooling could also lead to long term disappointment. I think you need to do a little more research on this.

You sound educated, you sound smart... remember the old saying... Best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    bruderxctf17

--
    07 Jan 2015 02:07 PM
    Yes, my picture is from when I went on vacation to DC over the summer with my family. I didn't have many pictures that came out good for some reason (probably because my camera doesn't work so well at night), so I picked that one because I liked it the best of all the ones that did turn out. I also thought that the memorial was one of the cooler sights I saw because I had always had an interest in sailing on the ocean/maritime culture, which in itself is kind of funny for a kid from the Midwest. I understand what you're saying about changing services, and I have thought about that too. I have a few specific goals, which is why I planned it out the way I did, but things can also change by the time I am ready to make the decision. I'm still looking at different sources for prior service business rules, reenlistment criteria, and such. TA isn't as much of a concern to me; it would just be nice to use it if I have the option. Any specific places to go for more information about TA? I agree with you on doing more research, and I just went off of what I could find already.

Just curious about one other thing: I spent a while looking through different threads on this forum before I joined, and I saw that your son seemed to have been successful- or maybe he's still in and doing well? Anyways, I was just curious as to if he went the college route at all, and if so, how did he do it?

Thanks for your responses!

BTW, that saying may be just a little too old for me... I don't know that I've ever actually heard it! I completely get it though. I heard a similar one, probably from a book or movie, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Have a good day!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Jan 2015 03:21 PM
    A school with an online program would definitely be the way to go. As far as some schools, sometimes they have limits to how old credits can be, but if you research the school, talk to the advisor, and know exactly what you are getting into from the beginning, then you would be better off.

To join and hop around in schools and not know what you want would ultimately cause for waste in time and money invested into credits that may or may not transfer. For example, I have a CJ degree, and will have a master's the end of this summer, if I get out and go back to school, for say an engineering degree, most of my or some of my previous credits such as math and science, will not transfer because they are older than three years old. Which honestly, I cannot blame them because not having done any math in the last 8 years (I'm 26), there wouldn't be any way I could remember anything other than some algebra and geometry any way.

So just really plan out what you want and what you think you are going to see yourself as in 5-10-15 years down the road.

While on active duty, I've will had completed a master's degree in about 5 years, with taking one or two classes a semester, taking a year off when I transfered
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Jan 2015 03:23 PM
    And not starting the first semester I was active. The reasoning being when you are not fully qualified, it's almost impossible to do school and work on quals at the same time.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement