Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Job choice!
Last Post 23 Jan 2015 08:44 AM by kellie212. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kellie212

--
21 Jan 2015 07:08 PM
    I just want to clear this up because I've been hearing a bunch of different things. Some are telling me that you can only choose jobs or an A-school that they have an opening for? Then others are saying you can choose which ever school/job you want (as long as your ASVAB and other aspects meet the requirments) but its just the waitlist and how long it takes to get there that differs? So are you pretty much guaranteed the A-school you want?

Also my recruiter told me that I can retake my ASVAB as many times as I want after boot camp before putting my name on the list for A-school to garentee that I get the job I want, is this true?

Much thanks to any replys!(:
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Jan 2015 07:29 PM
    If you have a high enough asvab score you pick the school and then wait on the list. An Education Services Officer can proctor the test for you to retest.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    modernwarfare

--
    21 Jan 2015 07:46 PM
    Is there a specific A school you are interested in? have you looked at the wait list?
    kellie212

--
    21 Jan 2015 10:08 PM
    Thank you!

Yeah I'm looking into AMT, which I know is about a year and a half to two year wait.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Jan 2015 05:30 AM
    Also my recruiter told me that I can retake my ASVAB as many times as I want after boot camp

The rules may have changed, but you can't take the entire ASVAB, you can take individual sections of the ASVAB. If you don't raise your score you have to wait 6 months to try again. Don't quote me, I've been out of recruiting for awhile.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Jan 2015 05:35 AM
    Plan to pass your ASVAB the first time, no retakes. You can retake, if necessary, but if you don't score high enough on the first shot, you might not get the chance to enlist at all. So study, study, study... get an ASVAB study guide, go to mil.com and take practice tests. Don't make your recruiter do a lot of work to get you in the CG and you do nothing to do the absolute best you can do.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    22 Jan 2015 06:05 AM
    Posted By Gears on 22 Jan 2015 06:30 AM
    Also my recruiter told me that I can retake my ASVAB as many times as I want after boot camp

The rules may have changed, but you can't take the entire ASVAB, you can take individual sections of the ASVAB. If you don't raise your score you have to wait 6 months to try again. Don't quote me, I've been out of recruiting for awhile.

The CG changed the rules on that this fall.  You may no longer take the individual sections of the ASVAB.  You must take the entire test now through your ESO.  The wait time between retests remains the same.  Thus stressing the importance of studying and doing well the very first time.

To the OP, have you asked to take the PiCAT Prescreen ASVAB?  Your recruiter should be able to register you for the prescreen test, which is exactly like the real thing, once and then you'll know where you need to improve before taking the real ASVAB.  Military.com has some good quizes and full length practice ASVABs too.
    modernwarfare

--
    22 Jan 2015 08:17 AM
    if you have trouble retaining information you could try my method of studying. buy the afqt for dummies (AFQT contains the english and math). I excell at english but my math was basic. so the only thing I studied was math. Did wonders for me because i have a terrible memory. Work on your weakness If your time is limited like mine was.
    kellie212

--
    22 Jan 2015 09:58 AM
    Well I already took the asvab and the physical! I leave for basic April 14th! BUT I didn't get a high enough score for the job that I want. My recruiter said to just take the score I got and I can retake it before I put my name on a list. I just wanted to clarify that, because that would suck to have to put my name on a list for a job that I don't want.
    modernwarfare

--
    22 Jan 2015 10:22 AM
    If you arent leaving until April, my understanding is you can retake it after 30 days if you didnt like the score you got before you attend basic. I really hope you get the rate you want. The Coast Guard is the only service that puts your rate in your hands comletely so whenever you do retake if, good luck and best wishes!
    kellie212

--
    22 Jan 2015 10:45 AM
    Well I can't retake it now because I already got my ship date. I'll just hope for the best after basic! But thank you!!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Jan 2015 01:13 PM
    Oh, well that's a different story. The one thing to keep in mind is if/when you retake the ASVAB if you get a lower score, that's the new score for you. There is no saying I'll keep the first one instead. So be sure if you do retake it, you are ready and know your weakness and bring up your overall score. I'm not sure if you can still get a waiver but it was (Storm will clarify) you could get up to 5 points waived. It is a command decision. So if that is still available then you can always go that route if you are only off by a point or 2.

Best of luck in boot! April will be here before you know it. Right now concentrate on the physical aspect and be as prepared as you can be.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    23 Jan 2015 04:31 AM
    http://allhands.coastguard.dodlive....r-process/

5 point waivers still exist, even after the revision to the re-testing requirements once serving as an active duty member. Those with specific questions about the 5 point waiver should read the manual listed in paragraph one in the link.
    kellie212

--
    23 Jan 2015 08:44 AM
    Awesome! Thank you(:
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement