Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Swimming question!
Last Post 18 Feb 2015 12:52 PM by ebee. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kellie212

--
24 Jan 2015 12:12 PM
    I'm sure this has been answered multiple times, BUT I just want to clarify(: I leave for boot in April and I am not a strong swimmer, at all. So I want to make sure I am working on the right things before I leave. 

So for the swim test, are there only certain strokes you can use and do you have to use all of them? Also for the free style stroke does your face have to be in the water or can it be out? And lastely I heard something about treading water without using your hands? Or is it just a regular up-right tread?

Thank you to any responses!!

dmelt

--
    24 Jan 2015 01:15 PM
    You can use any stroke you want, except for the back stroke. And you tread water for 5 minutes with the basic method, using both arms and legs. On page 10 of your helmsman is where you'll find this info.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    24 Jan 2015 03:05 PM
    I highly recommend using your arms and legs when you tread water for 5 minutes. Also, control your breathing, otherwise, you'll get tired. There's a big clock in the pool area which you can take a peak once in a while so you know how much time you have left. Don't get you hopes up, but most of the time I was there I noticed it really wasn't a 5 minute test. I think I did 4:30 and then they told my row to get out. Just over prepare yourself.

In terms of swimming, I think there were 3 different strokes you can use, breast stroke, free style and the last one looks like you're pickong an apple. You are allowed to change strokes at any time. That's what I did. You can put your head in the water or out when doing the breast stroke. Never stop or touch the wall.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    24 Jan 2015 08:29 PM
    Breast stroke, side stroke and freestyle. All with your head above water.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Jan 2015 09:44 PM
    For treading water, the best advice I can give you is slow and steady. You aren't racing lance Armstrong in the tour de France. Motion like you are peddling a bike with your legs. Swirling figure 8 with your arms. But mostly relax, let the water hold you, breathe consistently, just slow easy, relaxed motions. I've actually fallen asleep in pools. I don't recommend that. But just ease of time.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    kellie212

--
    25 Jan 2015 11:27 AM
    Thank you for all of the input!! Do you have to use all of the strokes?
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    25 Jan 2015 12:15 PM
    No, use what works best for you. I had to go through all of the training again when I went through recruiter school last year and I found it easier to do 1/3 of the test per stroke.
    WardIV

--
    13 Feb 2015 01:35 PM
    When you take the test you swim in a square. You will see most people waste most of there energy in the first 2 straights and be exhausted by the final stretch. My adivce for you is to keep it steady, if your good at your breast stroke thats your best bet! Practice that stroke because they do watch for technique and will pull you out of the pool if they ask you to change stroke more then 3 times or if you come in contact with the wall! Leave room from you and other people so you dont get trapped or kicked in the face. Keep a steady pace. They will ask whose a weaker swimmer and let you go last to get the pool to yourself, you can always do that as well. Just come prepared and confident! In your tred directly after you dont need your shoulders out just enough for your head/face. Dont panic! I sang a song in my head and time flew by. Little tricks like that is whats going to get you through. Good Luck!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    16 Feb 2015 05:55 PM
    This might seem like sort of a random question, but do you swim clockwise or counter-clockwise? I prefer the sidestroke but I always do it on my left side, so if I'm going clockwise I can't really keep tabs on the edge of the pool to avoid hitting it.

Also, how in the world do you do the breaststroke without putting your head underwater?
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    16 Feb 2015 09:47 PM
    counter clockwise and to keep your head out of the water doing breast stroke, you just don't have such a far reach and pull with your arms. Keep your head up and go if thats they way you want to do it. I think thats more tiring than freestyle though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    16 Feb 2015 11:02 PM
    Well if it's counter-clockwise then I can do the sidestroke all day long. For whatever reason I find the other two to be much more tiring. Thanks for the answers.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    18 Feb 2015 12:52 PM
    I recommend breast stroke because it's the easiest stroke to maintain while keeping your head above water. Remember, the swim test is not a race.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement