Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question about seeing the doctor at boot camp
Last Post 27 Jan 2015 11:08 AM by Bleem. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Bleem

--
24 Jan 2015 11:27 PM
    A few years ago I was on prescription medication for frequent heartburn.  After some diet and lifestyle changes, I went off the medication about a year ago and have been mostly heartburn free.  This was all fully and honestly disclosed to my recruiter, cleared by a med review, and is on my file at MEPS (I ship out in March).  I did not require a waiver.

As I am someone who tends to think of every possible problem that could potentially arise, the following occurred to me: since boot camp is a high-stress environment and I will have little-to-no control over my diet, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I end up having some heartburn issues while I'm there.

So my question is this: if it did become an issue, would I potentially be discharged/kicked out if I asked to see a doctor about it?  Or would it not be a big deal?  I don't really anticipate it being an issue, and even if it is I can probably power through a few weeks of discomfort, but I figured I'd ask here to see what you all have to say and perhaps get a bit of peace of mind.
    USCG STA New York, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Liongolfer18

--
    25 Jan 2015 07:56 AM
    You can control your diet at boot camp. They send you through a line (quickly) and you can select what you want. I dont see it being an issue for you, unless it also gets triggered by stress.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    25 Jan 2015 10:03 AM
    Posted By Liongolfer18 on 25 Jan 2015 08:56 AM
    You can control your diet at boot camp. They send you through a line (quickly) and you can select what you want. I dont see it being an issue for you, unless it also gets triggered by stress.

Well that's good.  I have never noticed it being triggered by stress for me personally, but I also don't usually get very stressed out.  I do know that stress is a classic heartburn trigger for a lot of people, though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Liongolfer18

--
    25 Jan 2015 02:57 PM
    Well your gonna find out!

Also I would assume that if your cleared to head to boot camp, any issues that arise while you are there will probably just be treated as needed.....Your basically given a clean bill of health when you ship out so they should take care of any issues from then on.

A little advice, it might not be a good idea to tell your Company Commander you need to go see a doctor for heartburn.....unless of course its really bad
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Jan 2015 04:40 PM
    Posted By Liongolfer18 on 25 Jan 2015 03:57 PM

Also I would assume that if your cleared to head to boot camp, any issues that arise while you are there will probably just be treated as needed.....Your basically given a clean bill of health when you ship out so they should take care of any issues from then on.

A little advice, it might not be a good idea to tell your Company Commander you need to go see a doctor for heartburn.....unless of course its really bad

By the same token, if you really need to see the Doc, go to sick call.  The last thing you want is for a medical problem to get out of hand and you end up getting reverted
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    25 Jan 2015 08:01 PM
    Posted By CPORJM on 25 Jan 2015 05:40 PM
    Posted By Liongolfer18 on 25 Jan 2015 03:57 PM

By the same token, if you really need to see the Doc, go to sick call.  The last thing you want is for a medical problem to get out of hand and you end up getting reverted

Indeed, but I am also leery about getting discharged for having to go to the doctor.  I don't know if it would be a big deal or not, which is why I asked.

For years I had recruiters of various branches, including the Coast Guard, who would not give me the time of day after I told them about my history of heartburn because they assumed I would never get through MEPS.  Obviously they were wrong, but because of those experiences I am very wary of anything that could take this opportunity away from me. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Liongolfer18

--
    26 Jan 2015 04:22 PM
    If you have to go, then def go.....but I was just stating that you should make sure you really need to go before you bring it up.....im not saying you will, but dont use it as a crutch, I have seen a lot of people try to go to medical to get out of things. It will end poorly if you do, lol..But if its a real medical situation you need to get it taken care of.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    26 Jan 2015 08:05 PM
    Posted By Liongolfer18 on 26 Jan 2015 05:22 PM
    If you have to go, then def go.....but I was just stating that you should make sure you really need to go before you bring it up.....im not saying you will, but dont use it as a crutch, I have seen a lot of people try to go to medical to get out of things. It will end poorly if you do, lol..But if its a real medical situation you need to get it taken care of.

I get what you're saying.  I definitely have no intention of going if I don't need to, and I highly doubt I'll need to.  I just wanted to make sure that in the unlikely event that I DID feel I had to go, that I wouldn't risk getting kicked out.  I still don't really feel confident that I wouldn't so the odds of me going to the doctor in boot camp are pretty darn slim.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    26 Jan 2015 11:01 PM
    They won't kick you out for it since its already in your file, and the CCs aren't really going to harass you for going to medical, this isn't their first go around. Our CC had a rule that if you are on green belt for more than three days then he'll rephrase you, but heartburn isn't going to put you there...

I had stress fractured feet, messed up knees to where I was limping in the morning and right after our runs and the pt test, and I never went on green belt for anything but my wisdom teeth. I was worried about it one night and requested to talk to the CC and just told him I wasn't being a baby or trying to get out of anything which is why I wouldn't go on green belt but if he saw me limping that is why, because I was f'd up.

Don't worry about, and medical stuff is private in the military you don't have to tell anyone anything
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bleem

--
    27 Jan 2015 11:08 AM
    Posted By Bells on 27 Jan 2015 12:01 AM
    They won't kick you out for it since its already in your file, and the CCs aren't really going to harass you for going to medical, this isn't their first go around. Our CC had a rule that if you are on green belt for more than three days then he'll rephrase you, but heartburn isn't going to put you there...

I had stress fractured feet, messed up knees to where I was limping in the morning and right after our runs and the pt test, and I never went on green belt for anything but my wisdom teeth. I was worried about it one night and requested to talk to the CC and just told him I wasn't being a baby or trying to get out of anything which is why I wouldn't go on green belt but if he saw me limping that is why, because I was f'd up.

Don't worry about, and medical stuff is private in the military you don't have to tell anyone anything

Thanks for the reply, that eases my mind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement